Should I delve into the Custom IEM world or not?
Mar 21, 2011 at 6:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Goku

100+ Head-Fier
Main question: "Are they worth it? and "What degree of experience is needed to delve into such waters?"

My journey started when I stumbled upon head fi. I always knew apple buds sucked, but didn't really care. Then I saw Dre Beats and thought they looked awesome. BUT, then I found out they were garbage. I obsessively poked around this site until I could fathom almost everything possible. I bought MTPG's and looooooved them. I was kind if a naive bass head back then. I took a break from the audiophile world when school hit back up. BTW, I'm a Senior in High School. Unfortunately, they were stolen. Now the opportunity is here. I want to upgrade. I was thinking about customs. The UE 4 Pro's. Those would probably have me set for a LONG time. The only thing I am concerned is that although I do feel as if I have heavy experience with audio, I may not. I don't amp my ipod for I like the portable aspect of it. To carry around an amp...sigh. BUT if I do get these, I will amp them. Please feel free to give any advice. Criticism and all. Were all friends here just trying to help each other out right? Riiiiight?!

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #2 of 10
I have read a lot here and have convinced myself customs will sound much better than my eq7 and copper. I was probably gonna get the jh16 but now the mg6 seems great.

Looking forward to more posts.

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:11 PM Post #3 of 10
I have customs, and I don't amp them. They're not bona-fide customs, as they were once Triple.Fi's, but they got the Unique Melody remold + extra driver treatment.I got them for a multitude of reasons:

1. Better Isolation. I was tired of hearing people with their music playing on the bus, or the noise of the bus itself, or even the rumble of the metro. Now I don't hear any of that, which is great.

2. With better isolation, I don't have to play my music as loud, thus saving my ears from any potential damage (Now when I hear kids with their headphones up so loud I can make out what the artists is SINGING, let alone the beats, I feel truly sorry for their hearing)

3. With the above mentioned two points, sound quality has improved from what it was prior to the remold, to now having a more extended bass, and an overall improvement in clarity.

So I don't think it's a question of whether or not you're "Audiophile Enough" to hear the difference, you get them if you want them, and think you'll enjoy them, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :) Being that you're in high school, I'm sure you take the bus, and can benefit from the isolation much like I have, and being that you're young, I'm sure you'd like to protect your hearing for as long as possible, considering you're only starting your life as an audiophile. :)

Personally, if I had the money, I too would spring for the JH16, but that's not really in the cards at the moment, and even if I did, I still don't know whether or not I would amp them, but I might look into a Pico Slim at the very least. :wink:

Mar 21, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 10
Might as well go custom. In my case I have a set of UM3x's with the um56 custom tips. They sound fantastic but always in the back of my mind is "how much better do the cusoms sound?".  Might as well just get it over with and order customs now if you are thinking about it. I think my next set will be the ES5's

Mar 21, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 10
HAHA, thanks everyone for the info. You all are making me thinking hard about this. Money is not really an issue for I got REALLY lucky with a babysitting job and now Im baking. YES, I'm a high schooler and I want to protect my ears. I'm actually shadowing an Ear, Nose, and Throat Doctor atm.

As for amping, does anyone else not amp their customs? Cuz I'd hate to have that feeling that my 600$ could sound better if apmed ya know.  

Mar 22, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
The only rational reason to ignore to decided advantages of customs is the need to stay on an infinite resell/upgrade path. Well, along with the cost.

IMHO.

well said.

Quote:
HAHA, thanks everyone for the info. You all are making me thinking hard about this. Money is not really an issue for I got REALLY lucky with a babysitting job and now Im baking. YES, I'm a high schooler and I want to protect my ears. I'm actually shadowing an Ear, Nose, and Throat Doctor atm.

As for amping, does anyone else not amp their customs? Cuz I'd hate to have that feeling that my 600$ could sound better if apmed ya know.  

i don't amp my customs due to bulk and well, the need to charge. inconvenience. 

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 10
OK I think im getting the JH5's. Anyone have any wise words for these?

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 10

Personally, I'd say get the customs without the amp to begin with, and when upgraditis hits you next, then look into the amp. At that point, you should be comfortable with your customs, and recognize their sound, so you'll be able to appreciate the difference an amp can bring. :)

Mar 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #10 of 10
I used to rock only my TF10s and was excited about them. It brought a whole different sound. But it wasn't quiet hitting exactly what is needed. Certain instruments were drowned out and instrument separation wasn't that great. It wasn't until I got them reshelled that I realized what I was missing the customs world.

I do have to admit that the clarity is significantly greater and instrument separation increased; however, sound stage took a hit. I don't exactly know why, but you do have to consider that this is a reshell and not a full out custom. I love my customs and don't want to turn back. The only thing that makes me turn a cheek is the price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back