short pre-burn in er6i impression
Sep 3, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
sorry to put you down, but i'm not sure. too much bass could scare me away.

LOL! RUN AND HIDE THE BASS MONSTERS ARE AFTER YOU!!!
biggrin.gif
They really aren't nearly as bassy as everyone makes them out to be. OTOH, they have a supprising amount of bass when compared to Ety's. They don't have more bass than the HD650 for example. The difference there being that the 650's offer more treble. Actually, they are quite similar to my M-Audio BX8's in tonal balance. Great mid's, solid deep bass when the song has it, and detailed treble that's not missing but takes a slight backstage to the mids and bass. The thing there is, that's more or less how things sound live... I can't ever remember being at a live performance and being astounded by the detailed trebles the way I would be with a lot of headphones or speakers.

BTW, the point wasn't to say that one is better than the other, that's personal preferance. The point I was trying to make is that having a lot of bass is not a limitation of canal phones but rather the Ety's themselves. They use a single driver and chose to extend the trebles out further so the balanced of the driver had to go that way. The E5's, Sensaphonics and Ultimate Ears use multiple drivers which allows them to have powerful bass as well as extended highs. Of course, Shure chose not to give the E5's a treble emphasis...

Sep 3, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
i listen to acoustic guitar, rock, metal, electronic, and synth. i have a bit of everything. many headphones tend to sound better with a certain type of music. i rarely heard one that sound good with everything and not being very expensive. this phone sound good with most of my music so i'm happy.

i dont see why this phone cant sound good with rap and pop, the bass is so good for being an earphone.

This is the perfect review for me, becuase your music preference is very similar to mine. I think as these phones are out longer and more people
get them, try them and post about them, all types of music will be discussed.
Right now, it's just the lucky few right now who got their orders in early.

-Jeff

Sep 3, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #33 of 72
A two of two track record for the tri-flanges coming off too easily isn't too good. I hope this isn't one of those products that was rushed to market too soon, only to have major QC concerns. Unless of course the fear of the tri flange staying in your ear when you take th er6i's off is considered a feature.

I'm not slamming them or anything, but I sniff a QC problem in the air.

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
Heh, that's funny. I listen to classical, newage and pop. For me to review something listening to rap would be just about as meaningful as having my cat write the review.

And what's with all this u ur ppl stuff? Your writing would reach out to more people and mean more to more people if you used standard English spelling.

I know you probably don't need any encouraging, but that's the funniest post I've read in weeks. Got a literal LOL outta me. [I suspect people type 'LOL' when they didn't actually 'LOL' - not so with me.)

Here's hoping your cat likes Snoop,

Mort

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #35 of 72
earwax how old r u ?

and omg im so sry that instead of sayin your or you're, im replacing the word with ur. wow get a life if ur goin to diss me about this. all i was saying is that it would be better if u guys stop rating earphones and headphones by personnal music u like. i think u need ot test them out in all categories. for example

Rock: Blah blah blah
Hip hop/rap: blah blah blah
Jazz: blah blah blah
Techno: blah blah blah
Classical: blah blah blah
r&b: blah blah blah
etc

and by doing that, ur review would be more meaningful to more ppl then if u just reviewed them on what YOU like (which is mostly jazz and rock here).

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:41 AM Post #38 of 72
I think prodeek has a point, i listen to drum'n bass and goa and that differs a bit from jazz or rock
biggrin.gif

but on the other hand people who don't know anything about lets say rap can't give a decent opion because they aren't familiar with the genre. Or is this so not true what i'm trying to say
cool.gif
?
I own the ER-6 and if most people say that the bass is better then i'm seriously considering to buy them. Because bass is bass, so when there is more bass for people who listen to jazz there will be more bass if you listen to something like rap!
that what i think about it,

ps english ain't my mother language so don't shoot me
smily_headphones1.gif

cheers

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #39 of 72
Umm, Terry and Joe, no concerns after having filter failure after a mere several days of use? My complaints about the original E6s was the high cost of ownership, i.e. endless $15 packs of flanges, filters, and foamies. The ER6i sounds interesting on the acoustic level, but I really think headphones that cost a lot to start with shouldn't also entail a high cost of ongoing ownership... It's as if you had to buy new drivers for the Senn 650s every few months!

confused.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 1:56 PM Post #40 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProdeeK

and omg im so sry that instead of sayin your or you're, im replacing the word with ur. wow get a life if ur goin to diss me about this. all i was saying is that it would be better if u guys stop rating earphones and headphones by personnal music u like. i think u need ot test them out in all categories.

And what I'm saying is that what you're asking for is not practical and I'd even go so far as to say that it would be detrimental to the acuracy of the review. I want reviewers to use music they are familiar with. I mean, could you write a reliable review if you suddenly listened to country and western music? I really don't think so, because, being totally unfamiliar with it, you'd miss details of the instuments and voices that are important to the genre.

As for the language thing, it's up to you if you want to be understood by most people or not, some of us stop reading when there are too many spelling mistakes and IM shorthand in a message. I'm not dissing you, I'm letting you know that you are not communicating effectively because of the style you choose for your writing.

I was also trying to point out a parrallel between your request for others to take into account your taste in music, but you refuse to take into account our preference for not having to decipher terrible spelling, typos and excessive abreviations.

Sep 3, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #41 of 72
Well, I think Prodeek has a very good point, actually. Listing what type of music you like is very important towards making a clear indication of what sort of taste you're after. The easiest way for another person to know whether or not your review applies to them personally is if they find the same genre of music in your list, and using that as a reference point to how the rest of the review applies towards their own use.

Almost all the full review on this site makes very clear indication of the music track that the reviewer used to test the equipment with, and a lot of reviews even go deeply into exactly how each and every track sounds.

However, I think what is a little out of hand here, is that none of the information posted here is near what I would call a "full review". Most of the information presented thus far are just impressions and early experiences. Prodeek, you should be a little more patient and wait until people write full-length reviews about them. The short impressions written thus far won't be incredibly useful even if they did post their music list.

Beyond that, to forcefully ask a reviewer to review any equipment using music that one doesn't have a taste for is a bit bossy. If a person doesn't have a particular taste for a certain genre of music, they won't be judging it fairly to begin with. They wouldn't want to listen to whole song, and they wouldn't want to spend that much time with it. They won't be familiar with the song enough to be really critical with small details and important elements.

That... and.... short-handed IM speak annoys me to no end. I hate reading "sry", "im", and "goin". At least put the apostrophe at the end of that "goin'" so we'd think you're from the south or somethin'
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:36 PM Post #42 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Earwax
As for the language thing, it's up to you if you want to be understood by most people or not, some of us stop reading when there are too many spelling mistakes and IM shorthand in a message. I'm not dissing you, I'm letting you know that you are not communicating effectively because of the style you choose for your writing.

I too find it difficult to follow posts with excessive shorthand, and very quickly opt to skip to the next post simply because it's too much work to figure out what the writer is trying to say. I put the work into the writing portion myself, so others can hopefully understand whatever lame points I'm trying to make. In fact, I am a frequent user of the "edit" feature often to do nothing else than correct bad grammar.

I was ready to refrain from comment regarding this topic for fear of "dissing" anyone, however I do think it is a relevant concern. I'd like to hear and understand the viewpoints of all members here who wish to share, and it's my loss if I'm missing the ideas of some members whose posts I can't read.

Sep 3, 2004 at 3:53 PM Post #43 of 72
Lindrone makes sense I think. Reviews are already subjective enough without expecting reviewers to test EVERY category of music regardless of taste. Hopefully over time we'll see different reviewers stick to different types of music, and Head Fi folks tend to be a bit more polymorphous in their listening tastes anyway, so have patience rap fans!

Sep 3, 2004 at 4:09 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
A two of two track record for the tri-flanges coming off too easily isn't too good. I hope this isn't one of those products that was rushed to market too soon, only to have major QC concerns. Unless of course the fear of the tri flange staying in your ear when you take th er6i's off is considered a feature.

I'm not slamming them or anything, but I sniff a QC problem in the air.

The problem exists because the tri-flange is exactly the same as for the ER4 series, but the ER6i has a much shorter (about 1/2 the length) shaft to hold it on. I haven't had a problem with them coming off since I became aware of the situation. For me, it's a small price to pay for a comfy canal 'phone that has very good sound.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #45 of 72
thanks very much for the early impressions terry & joe. at this point, i'm still sticking with my plan to get the ER4P next month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back