short pre-burn in er6i impression
Sep 3, 2004 at 4:13 PM Post #46 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
Umm, Terry and Joe, no concerns after having filter failure after a mere several days of use? My complaints about the original E6s was the high cost of ownership, i.e. endless $15 packs of flanges, filters, and foamies. The ER6i sounds interesting on the acoustic level, but I really think headphones that cost a lot to start with shouldn't also entail a high cost of ongoing ownership... It's as if you had to buy new drivers for the Senn 650s every few months!

confused.gif

I wouldn't worry, delenda est Sony, the filter failure was my fault because I got it wet. I didn't replace it, I just blew on it to dry it. I've had ETY 4P and S for years now, and have never needed to replace the filters. I clean my ears regularly instead..............it's a lot cheaper.
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #49 of 72
FWIW, the ER6i I got for my girlfriend came today. Isolation is not quite as good as the ER-4 using the (exact) same tri flange tip but is still very good. There is more bass, the mids and highs aren't as good as the ER-4 but they aren't bad at all. This is all pre burn in and listening to only a couple of songs. I'll write more later.

Sep 4, 2004 at 12:31 AM Post #50 of 72
I am pleased with the 6i. More presence than my E3C. My quandry is how to share this experience with others. It makes me think "I wish you could hear what I hear"

This includes Pavarotti, Sinatra, Outkast, Nelly, and Cocker. (Write back if you need to know who any of the above are.) BTW I went to the MTV awards in Miami on Sunday. The performance by Nelly and Christina Aguilera was worthy of a Broadway musical.

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #52 of 72
I'm a big Ety fan. Now that I have the 6is. I must say they are a must have for iPod owners. I have been very, impressed by them, best $100 I've spent on audio. Just enough bass and I don't notice any high end rolloff when using 192VBR. They were made for the iPod!

Sep 4, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #53 of 72
Quote:

I've had ETY 4P and S for years now, and have never needed to replace the filters. I clean my ears regularly instead..............it's a lot cheaper.

Hey Joe, hate to dwell on such an unappealing topic as earwax, but in two years with the ER6, I worked my way through 2 packs of filters. Now perhaps I should consider starting a home candle making venture, but mightn't the stubby wide tubes of the ER6s be more prone to letting in moisture and wax as opposed to the long narrow tubes on the ER4? If this might be the problem, then how do the sound tubes on the new ER6Is compare?

waxing eloquently,

DES

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:27 PM Post #54 of 72
to put it in a summary....

Shure seem to be a brand that tend to be ever so slightly leaning towards
the bass side of the sound balance.

and

Etymotic tend to be more treble.

So the higher you go up the scale from E2c, E3c / Er6,Er4 ...etc the more balanced the earphones becomes but still keeping its bass "tint" in the case of Shure and treble clarity(lack of full bass) in the Etys.

Am I correct? I own Shure E2c and bass is VERY important to me. I love this
earphone, and when I can afford to buy better earphone I will require a clearer sounding earphone WITH bass.

My music preferences is more towards electronic styles such as house, techno
and ambient.

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #55 of 72
Yasmin, I have not heard the Shures, but I can tell you that ER6i bass is better than the ER6, especially in the mid-bass range, but I definitely would not call it bass heavy. The Sony EX 71 for instance has FAR more bass than the ER6i, though it is also a sloppier less precise headphone. Based on what I've *heard other say* about the Shure E2c, you would probably be better sticking with that unless you wanted to move up to the E5. If you don't want an upgrade, consider getting an EX 51/70/71 if you can find one cheap (US $30 or less), as those massively bassy headphones will probably entertain you intermittently, though I think you will not want them as your primary phones.

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:50 PM Post #56 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by delenda est Sony
Hey Joe, hate to dwell on such an unappealing topic as earwax, but in two years with the ER6, I worked my way through 2 packs of filters. Now perhaps I should consider starting a home candle making venture, but mightn't the stubby wide tubes of the ER6s be more prone to letting in moisture and wax as opposed to the long narrow tubes on the ER4? If this might be the problem, then how do the sound tubes on the new ER6Is compare?

waxing eloquently,

DES

I don't have the original ER6 anymore, but I believe, although the 6i tube is about the same length, it's narrower in diameter. The 4 series silicon tips fit the new 6i, whereas they didn't on the original 6.
You are most likely correct regarding the wider opening of the 6 allowing for more wax contamination, but I never replaced the filters on those either, probably due to the fact I found them uncomfortable and difficult to acheive a good seal. Because of this, I didn't use them much before they ultimately became a doggie snack.
frown.gif

Sep 9, 2004 at 12:55 PM Post #57 of 72
Hiya Del

I definetly want to hang onto the E2c as they're perfect for me.
I wouldn't want to downgrade in quality just for bass.

At this stage im just thinking of an upgrade path for the future,
so when the 6i are available in black i'll consider them.

Im just trying to work out wether the upgrade path is via Ety's 4P/6i's
or E3c/E5c

Yasmin

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #58 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasmin_Khan
Im just trying to work out wether the upgrade path is via Ety's 4P/6i's or E3c/E5c
Yasmin

As impossible as it is, try to hear the phones if you can. The ER6i is in the same price and performance class as your E2s, so I wouldn't "upgrade" to it. If you want bigger bass, probably moving further up the Shure line would be a better path for you.

However, there is much to be said for having different TYPES of headphones; for one thing, buying a better Shure will mean that your E2s will be obsolete. Maybe an ER6i purchase would complement your E2cs. But don't go into an ER6i purchase expecting lots of bass. There's a bit, and the phones sound excellent overall, but you will not be thinking you have a subwoofer in your ear...

Sep 9, 2004 at 1:08 PM Post #59 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I don't have the original ER6 anymore, but I believe, although the 6i tube is about the same length, it's narrower in diameter. The 4 series silicon tips fit the new 6i, whereas they didn't on the original 6.
You are most likely correct regarding the wider opening of the 6 allowing for more wax contamination, but I never replaced the filters on those either, probably due to the fact I found them uncomfortable and difficult to acheive a good seal. Because of this, I didn't use them much before they ultimately became a doggie snack.
frown.gif

Thanks Joe! I'm with you on that; the two layer flange on the ER6 was very unpleasant in feel and hard to get a seal (look, a poem!). The foamies work much better with the ER6, sp maybe Ety should just scrap the two prong flange altogether.

I think my filter problem was that it was getting wet from sweat, as most failures occurred in the warmer ickier months. The driver would stop working, I would think wax was the issue, and change the filter. But if I had dried the old filter out, that probably would have done the trick. I think Ety did not mention the moisture dry out approach in the ER6 documentation of 2 years ago, though they do in the Er6i manual now. Live and learn!

Sep 9, 2004 at 8:05 PM Post #60 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yasmin_Khan
to put it in a summary....

Shure seem to be a brand that tend to be ever so slightly leaning towards
the bass side of the sound balance.

and

Etymotic tend to be more treble.

So the higher you go up the scale from E2c, E3c / Er6,Er4 ...etc the more balanced the earphones becomes but still keeping its bass "tint" in the case of Shure and treble clarity(lack of full bass) in the Etys.

Am I correct? I own Shure E2c and bass is VERY important to me. I love this
earphone, and when I can afford to buy better earphone I will require a clearer sounding earphone WITH bass.

My music preferences is more towards electronic styles such as house, techno
and ambient.

the bass of the ER6i is less than that ofthe E2c's, but it is also much cleaner. using the headphone out of my PowerBook, which has a pretty decent amp, i get a ton of bass with the ER6i. it is less than with the iPod, but an amp will probably fix it. i would try to audition the Etys before you bought some. to me, however, thy are much better phones than the E2c's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back