Short Multi Review, RE0, S4, RE252
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

mythless

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, this is my first attempt at developing a review. It's pretty short, but go easy on me
k701smile.gif
. I am sure there are many people out there wanting to see a comparison.

Source: Sansa Fuze using FLAC or 192-320 bitrate
Amp: none

Package and Build.

I have the 2nd generation version of the RE0, cloth cord. It came in a box, with several extra filters, tips, extension cord and shirt clip, very well packaged. The RE0 themselves are quite sturdy. They use a metal housing and is built quite solid and sturdy. Personally, I like the cloth cord, I prefer the feel. However, the 3rd generation uses a higher quality PFE rubber, which is also on the RE252 and the feel is quite nice and durable to boot.

The S4 is packaged very nicely, it comes with a metal tin carrying case, 2 spare tips, and a cleaning tool. The S4 are housed in a plastic, which seems durable. The cables however feel somewhat cheap that it reminds me of my NE-7m, but it’s not flimsy. I think the cables are the weak point in the overall packaging of the S4.

The RE252 comes in a fancy plastic case with a wide variety of different tips and sizes, as well as spare filters and the shirt clip. The cables, as I wrote before, are the new PFE cables. They seem very sturdy and do not seem rubbery at all. The housing for the drivers is plastic (I think) and surrounded by a soft rubbery gel like enclosure. However, the enclosure is a dust and dirt magnet! Overall, the build quality of the RE252 is quite good.

Isolation/Comfort

RE0 have average isolation, they do not go deep into the ear canal and I find only the biflanged tips give the best isolation, for myself the tips help it sit deeper into the ear. I have used the RE0 in airplane flights and they have me no trouble to isolation the noise. As well I have used them in malls, subways and didn’t complain about their ability to isolate. They are very comfortable, I can use them for hours on end. Especially with the biflanged tips, they are very good. To me the RE0 feels the most comfortable with the cables worn straight down. You can wear it over the ear but I find it protrudes a bit much for my liking because if the metal shaft that enclose the cables.

The S4 has better isolation than the RE0 because the enclosure is smaller and the end of the S4 is angled. Therefore, it can be placed deeper into the ear without any problems. With the right tip the S4 is very comfortable, can be worn for many hours without discomfort regardless, if you wear the S4 straight down or over the ear.

RE252 is quite different from the other two because of the design. Personally, I have a hard time with the fit of this IEM. Only the large biflanged tip worked the best, however the seal produced quite of bit of pressure. It was only suggested that I turn them upside down that the pressures does lessen but it’s still present for me. The isolation is probably similar to the S4 because it can go deeper into the ear, but for me it can cause great discomfort. Both the tips and the overall design are at fault, meaning tips could fix the problem but the sound tube (snout?) may not be long enough to go deep into the ear because of the overall design. However, when I lightly put them in using the large biflanged tips, it’s quite comfortable, regardless if worn upside down or not. The pressure is tolerable.

Sound

We all have read multiple reviews on the RE0, and yes they are really as good as what many other people have written before. The RE0 have detail and crystal clear mids, highs, and lows. The overall sound signature is quite neutral and it works well with multiple genres. However, the lows aren’t as satisfying for many people. Now, the RE0 have very detailed bass, but lacks the impact or the boom boom impact that we hear in aftermarket car stereos or clubs. Some may find it bass acceptable, like myself, but others may not. Right now, I use the RE0 as a bench mark for any IEM below or around $100. Now, the RE0 excels in vocal music. Regardless if you listen to jazz, opera, rock, rap, R&B, the vocals are super clean, clear, and smooth. While, the RE0 are neutral and aren’t considered a fun IEM, if you love vocals, the RE0 are absolutely perfect. Not to mention, the instrumental separation is very good. The weak point of the RE0 is that because of the bass it can’t fully immerse you into your music.

However, properly amped I hear it improves a lot. Now, what about the E5? Well for the price of $20 sure why the hell not? But, if you’re expecting a huge change don’t count on it.

The S4, this one gave me a run for its money. I had to burn these headphones for over 120+ hours before I started liking them. At first the sound was muffled and recessed. The bass was bloated and overpowered everything. As I continued to burn them in the bass tightened and became less overpowering. The bass is very nice. The bass has good extension and impact. Most people will be satisfied. I am very satisfied by the bass. The mids eventually cleared up, for me I was only satisfied after 120+ hours. The mids are neither aggressive nor recessed. I think its smack down in the middle. Vocals are fine, I have no qualms. The highs, however, is aggressive. The highs are crisp, clean, clear but sharp. At first there was quite of bit of sibilance but burning in tamed it. In some ways it reminded me of the SR325i, its bright and aggressive sound signature. Some may find it just right but, others may not. I am in the middle. I find the highs can be somewhat annoying and fatiguing. The S4 has good instrumental separation. Overall, the S4 is quite good. However, they are a bit pricey here in Canada, I bought my on sale but it still turned out to be $100+ tax included. However, I think the mids may still sound recessed slighty because of the aggressive highs and powerful low end tend to dominate the music.

The RE252 can be explained a mere sentence. It is a RE0 with more bass impact and extension but less treble. Now, I had fitting issues with the RE252, but I do like the RE252 over the RE0. Why? I think it offers better balance than the RE0. There’s something unique with the RE252 that the RE0 couldn’t provide as well as the RE252, musical immersion. Though neutral, it sounds more fun than the RE0. The soundstage is quite weird but in a good way. It feels very large and expansive as if I am sitting in different seats in a concert. Everything sparkles. The bass is probably what most people are wondering. Though they’re not as expansive as the S4, but there is more impact than the RE0. For me, I am quite content with the bass. The bass is very detailed, punchy, and tight. Though, heavy bass listeners may look past the RE252. Now, I got them about the same price during the half price special. They are phenomenal for their value, despite the fitting issues. Even for their price of $200 it can be justified. Though, I would say the RE252 is my most expensive headphone I own and it does take the spot of the RE0, despite my fitting problem. Though, only one minor gripe: it is still a dust and dirt magnet!

Conclusion

As you can tell I do enjoy the sound of the RE0 and RE252 and they are great buys. They are smooth, neutral and provide excellent detail and clarity. They are great for vocal music, which I enjoy. The S4 are also very good but require a good deal of burn in. However, in the end it's all up to you. While I do like the S4 I think I’ll return them because I have too many IEMs and need the cash, lol.

If I had to rank them from my personal sound opinion this would be it:
1. RE252
2. RE0 tie S4 I would only give the RE0 slightly higher appeal since I prefer it over the S4

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:56 AM Post #2 of 33
nice review! the RE252 sounds like what i want in an IEM, but the form-factor is the dealbreaker for me. if they just only made it able to be worn over the ear, i'm sure it would be a winner in my book. hopefully head-direct addresses this in their next iteration.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:12 AM Post #3 of 33
Nice roundup! I'm curious, have you tried the foam mod on the RE0 and if so what were your opinions? (I myself didn't like it unfortunately...)

Also, try putting the RE252 filters on the RE0, it opens the sound up a little from those nasty paper filters
biggrin.gif

After much listening, and with the 252's "newness" wearing off, personally prefer the RE0 over the 252 now. Namely I feel that the RE0 has much better instrument separation to make up for its narrower soundstage.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:17 AM Post #4 of 33
RE0 definitely is a lot better amped. I use a mini3 on them and although its not the best amp it does wonders for the RE0 imo. It;s one of my favorite earphones that I've used. It adapts pretty well to different genres of music.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 33
Nice review, and sounds about right re the S4 and the 252 (don't have the RE0). I only wish the 252s had the same sound sig with an easier form factor. They do fit me, but always feel weird when I am wearing them. I use the Sony hybrids with the 252s and they work very well for bass/seal and depth.

Anyway, good work.

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice review! the RE252 sounds like what i want in an IEM, but the form-factor is the dealbreaker for me. if they just only made it able to be worn over the ear, i'm sure it would be a winner in my book. hopefully head-direct addresses this in their next iteration.

You can wear them upside down, the enclosure is quite soft and flexible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by a_recording /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice roundup! I'm curious, have you tried the foam mod on the RE0 and if so what were your opinions? (I myself didn't like it unfortunately...)

Also, try putting the RE252 filters on the RE0, it opens the sound up a little from those nasty paper filters
biggrin.gif

After much listening, and with the 252's "newness" wearing off, personally prefer the RE0 over the 252 now. Namely I feel that the RE0 has much better instrument separation to make up for its narrower soundstage.

Not yet, I've been thinking about it, but I do no have my RE0 filters (in case I prefer the RE0 filters) anymore since it was thrown into the garbage by accident. But, I am quite content with them now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RE0 definitely is a lot better amped. I use a mini3 on them and although its not the best amp it does wonders for the RE0 imo. It;s one of my favorite earphones that I've used. It adapts pretty well to different genres of music.

Waiting for the new pico silm to power these babies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice review, and sounds about right re the S4 and the 252 (don't have the RE0). I only wish the 252s had the same sound sig with an easier form factor. They do fit me, but always feel weird when I am wearing them. I use the Sony hybrids with the 252s and they work very well for bass/seal and depth.

Anyway, good work.

Thanks
biggrin.gif
, I find it odd for myself to like the RE252 despite having fitting issues, I guess I just like the way it sounds!

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 33
Great review. I'm a huge fan of the RE0 so I guess the next time the RE252 is on sale I'll have to pick up a pair (hopefully I'll have the money).

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great review. I'm a huge fan of the RE0 so I guess the next time the RE252 is on sale I'll have to pick up a pair (hopefully I'll have the money).

Haha, thanks. The RE252 are well worth their value for their price.

Jan 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 33
Nice review, but that RE0 definitely needs some serious juice to really shine. Sure, it sounds fine unamped - still better than many mid-fi cans - but if you amp it properly, it will give you a real hi-fi sound with greatly improved bass and dynamics. I use my MiniBox E+ with RE0 - the difference is very significant from just running them unamped. For unamped use, my Ortofon e-Q7 own RE0 big time, but when amped, RE0 is better in some ways and really close in other aspects.

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 33
great review of all three IEMs. as a fan of the RE0 i support pretty much everything you said. as of now, i dont have an amp, but i find them to still be amazing unamped.

cheers!

Jan 13, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #12 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by durden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
great review of all three IEMs. as a fan of the RE0 i support pretty much everything you said. as of now, i dont have an amp, but i find them to still be amazing unamped.

cheers!

Thanks. They are quite amazing unamped but properly power they are phenomenal for their value. The extensions the overall sound just changes. Yesterday I was listening to some jazz from my receiver with the RE0 plugged into them, and it sounded amazing. I am eager to see how the new pico slim will power the RE0.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #13 of 33
Sorry to bump this thread but I'm facing a serious issue...which phones should I pick? RE0 or the S4? I have absolutely no problem with the burn in time. Both phones are $80 in amazon but which seemed better to you? Its not in my plans to get an amp, please consider this...

Thanks in adance guys! Appreciate your help!

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #14 of 33
Sorry to bump this thread but I'm facing a serious issue...which phones should I pick? RE0 or the S4? I have absolutely no problem with the burn in time. Both phones are $80 in amazon but which seemed better to you? Its not in my plans to get an amp, please consider this...

Thanks in adance guys! Appreciate your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back