Short Multi Review, RE0, S4, RE252
Nov 23, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #16 of 33
treecko, between the RE0 and S4, you will have to decide how much visceral full-bodied bass you want.  The S4 has it -- I don't think I let mine burn long enough and could not get past the boomy bass and shrill highs, both of which it apparently tame down after a fairly long burn in time.  The RE0 is stunningly smooth in it presentation of detail in all frequencies -- you will be hard pressed to find an IEM with better mids and highs, but it definitely lacks lower end body and warmth, esp if it is not amped.  You will have to be satisfied with lean, clean bass with the RE0.  With the S4, it will pretty much smack you in the face with bass!

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #17 of 33
I'll be straight, I don't think I would ever own the S4 again, not really my taste anymore.  But, I completely agree with kmhayness.  The RE0 are really hard to beat for it's price, maybe the panasonic, but I never heard them before.  Out of all my IEMs the RE0 get the most head time and amped and unamped RE0 are truly excellent value for their money.  I would look to the forums for a used set of RE0 or even use Head-Direct 30 days return policy or go to a bestbuy and see if they carry the S4 and try them out.

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #18 of 33
Considering the price difference between the S4 and HJE900 I would consider the HJE900 instead an from there it would be more fair in terms of capability. They are both too different to compare however.

I'll also gladly take the RE252 off your hands since you don't use it much :p

Nov 23, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #19 of 33
Wait, so you're saying that the S4s are not that good? I want a balanced IEMs, the Panasonic's are a bit expensive and go out of my budget... I want the IEMs to have a good overall sound...low, mid and high end...I'm willing to burn in them as much as needed. I think I'll buy my IEMs next week through Amazon (I don't live in the US) so I have to make sure I bought the best things for my budget... Also, I'm not planning to get an amp, so the IEMs have to sound great without any other accessory...

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
Considering the price difference between the S4 and HJE900 I would consider the HJE900 instead an from there it would be more fair in terms of capability. They are both too different to compare however.

Still searching for a RE252, eh? :D Comply tips and able to wear them upside town helps a lot, it's just bother some to keep doing it over and over again :p

Quote:
Wait, so you're saying that the S4s are not that good? I want a balanced IEMs, the Panasonic's are a bit expensive and go out of my budget... I want the IEMs to have a good overall sound...low, mid and high end...I'm willing to burn in them as much as needed. I think I'll buy my IEMs next week through Amazon (I don't live in the US) so I have to make sure I bought the best things for my budget... Also, I'm not planning to get an amp, so the IEMs have to sound great without any other accessory...

How do you like your bass?

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Still searching for a RE252, eh? :D Comply tips and able to wear them upside town helps a lot, it's just bother some to keep doing it over and over again :p

Quote:

How do you like your bass?

Well, I like it to be there, smooth & deep. Not overwhelming, but existing an well defined...

I guess I could afford the Panasonic's but I've read they don't work really well without an amp...and I'm not getting an amp soon...

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #22 of 33
Smooth and deep eh?  I don't think the RE0 are for you then.  When people mean deep then want some rumble, the bass on the RE0 goes deep but no rumble.  Maybe the RE-Zero might be a nice option, check the forums for used one.  The S4 IIRC weren't smooth at all, those were some bright IEMs.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
Quote:

My take on the RE252 is the same that I have with the ER4S. I do want to hear them one day but not pay for one. It would probably be something I enjoy a lot but the RE262 is good enough as my top universal as I don't use universal earphone as much anymore.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My take on the RE252 is the same that I have with the ER4S. I do want to hear them one day but not pay for one. It would probably be something I enjoy a lot but the RE262 is good enough as my top universal as I don't use universal earphone as much anymore.

Fair enough :D, I still need to hear the RE262, maybe I can swipe one from the forums.  I just keep the RE252 as more of a novelty thing (LOL), but I might put it up on the chopping block if I like the RE262 sound.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #25 of 33
Smooth and deep eh?  I don't think the RE0 are for you then.  When people mean deep then want some rumble, the bass on the RE0 goes deep but no rumble.  Maybe the RE-Zero might be a nice option, check the forums for used one.  The S4 IIRC weren't smooth at all, those were some bright IEMs.

Wait...RE-Zero?...isn't that the same as RE0? S4 IIRC? S4 Bright? I read they were a bit dark, actually...

Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried the HJE900 without an amp?

I know my questions might be a bit stupid at times, but I'm a newbie with IEMs and I just wanna spend my money wisely

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #26 of 33
The RE0 were the original flagship of hifiman, the RE-ZERO are the limited edition with the balanced connector, it comes with an adapter, retails for $99 shipped within the USA.  The RE-ZERO uses a different driver than the RE0, much lower impedance.  I never heard them but if they're moving towards the RE252 they're not dark at all, very neutral, just with more bass and forward mids.  Btw, there are some S4 on sale on the used forum for $50.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #27 of 33
The RE0 were the original flagship of hifiman, the RE-ZERO are the limited edition with the balanced connector, it comes with an adapter, retails for $99 shipped within the USA.  The RE-ZERO uses a different driver than the RE0, much lower impedance.  I never heard them but if they're moving towards the RE252 they're not dark at all, very neutral, just with more bass and forward mids.  Btw, there are some S4 on sale on the used forum for $50.

Oh, now I get it, but the RE-Zero go over my budget...I guess the contenders are the Klipsch S4, the RE0 and the HJE900 (Don't know about the last ones, though. I don't know if they'll work with my Nokia 5800 without an amp)...

Forgot to mention, I don't live in the US, so I'm planning to order the IEMs in Amazon....

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #30 of 33
Yeah, it can be a bit daunting to buy new headphones, especially if you don't know what you want.  Then you come on here and you either decide what you want or get lost in the confusion of choices.  Best bet is to go out and hear what you can and let your ears decide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back