Shocking new MSNBC article. *pics and vids of "Cho" before the massacre.
Apr 19, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #31 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MSNBC just put up 5 pages from the manifesto that hadn't been posted earlier.

Ha, they are going to drag this out as long as they can and slowly release more and more of the manifesto. Just to keep everyone coming back. Wow, lets profit over tragedy.

Apr 19, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The NICS check does not cover this.

It is done this way for very good reason.

Maybe they should have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ha, they are going to drag this out as long as they can and slowly release more and more of the manifesto. Just to keep everyone coming back. Wow, lets profit over tragedy.

And that surprises people !?! The media are like dogs fighting over scraps, when this kind of insanity goes down.NBC should be ashamed...

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #35 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe they should have.

The primary reason that it is done this way is because a judge is not qualified to diagnose someone's mental health. Doctors spend many years in school, and even more afterwards in residency to do this. Judges, who spend their time learning the law, do not. It also has the nice effect of limiting the judge's power and their opportunities for corruption and petty revenge.

Also, temporary detention orders are just that. Temporary. If someone makes a credible, even if untrue, accusation against you, the judge can issue a Temporary Detention Order against you. This will force you, willingly or not, to be committed to a hospital or mental institution for psychological screening. At this point, you are not guilty of anything. There is no proof that you have done anything wrong. All it takes is for the judge to be sympathetic to the accuser's story.

If the doctor's diagnosis indicates that you are not mentally defective, you are free to go and the temporary detention order will be expunged from your records. As it should be.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:08 AM Post #36 of 64
I refuse to read any of his crap or watch any of his videos and I let my local media know it. He doesn't deserve the attention. I urge others to do the same if they see fit.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #37 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I refuse to read any of his crap or watch any of his videos and I let my local media know it. He doesn't deserve the attention. I urge others to do the same if they see fit.

I agree. TV sucks in so many ways. It's a negativity magnet and it loves pessimism. Reality TV is filled with negativity of people bashing each other. The news loves blood. Rememeber the slogan "if it bleeds, it leads". The news loves blood and so many people eat it up. TV has gone down hill and I love TV actually but rarely watch it these days.

The Cho guy is probably now laughing in Hell at his claim to fame. The media must stop highlighting the sickest crimes. Sick people just follow and copy. The media is one of the causes of this sick social disease.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The primary reason that it is done this way is because a judge is not qualified to diagnose someone's mental health. Doctors spend many years in school, and even more afterwards in residency to do this. Judges, who spend their time learning the law, do not. It also has the nice effect of limiting the judge's power and their opportunities for corruption and petty revenge.

Also, temporary detention orders are just that. Temporary. If someone makes a credible, even if untrue, accusation against you, the judge can issue a Temporary Detention Order against you. This will force you, willingly or not, to be committed to a hospital or mental institution for psychological screening. At this point, you are not guilty of anything. There is no proof that you have done anything wrong. All it takes is for the judge to be sympathetic to the accuser's story.

If the doctor's diagnosis indicates that you are not mentally defective, you are free to go and the temporary detention order will be expunged from your records. As it should be.

You are right,and thanks for explaining it to me.Didnt really think it through.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:19 AM Post #39 of 64
I stopped watching tv regularly years ago.I listen to talk radio once a week for a bit of news,and get the local paper on weekends.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #40 of 64
I think it is extremely important that the news is reporting anything and everything possible on this case. Don't forget one thing we pride so much in this country is our First Amendment Right of freedom of speech and press. You may chose not to read/watch these things, but it is important that it gets out there. How else can we learn from our mistakes unless as much information as possible is made public? Information, good or bad, is important for society; IMHO the bad news is even more important than the good.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:18 AM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The irony though is that this guy is a failure even in death. He obviously was mentally dumb, given the quality of his manifesto, but more than that, he's even a disappointment as a killer. Most killers with manifestos at least write something halfway interesting, or have some kind of interesting personality. Ted Bundy was charming, the Columbine killers were terribly screwed up but each had his own personality going. This guy is just a zero. No personality, completely unlikeable. Just look at his eyes.

I don't see how he failed in death.

His planning and execution were perfect and even Bill Gates can't buy better media attention. If what he wanted was infamy, then he's been wildly successful. Sure his manifesto sucks, but hey, they can't all be Theodore Kaczynskis. I'd bet he'd be happy enough as the first youtube ready mass murderer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 450
Yeah. I didn't think it would be an Asian. Most Asians and Indians I know are very passive.

Different societies and mindsets. The passive dude in front of you might just want to rip your throat out, but he's too polite to act like it.

Really, I'm not surprised that it was an Asian male.

Asian-American immigrants, and to a lesser extent, their children, have high depression rates, high physical/sexual abuse rates, and a rather nasty tendency to internalize their problems instead of seeing professional help. There's also a lot of pressure to succeed in school and, oddly enough, a serious lack of parental involvement in many cases. Then there's the wonderful emotional/sexual inadequacies issues, and the large dose of resentment due to the white/Asian intermixing disparity. Note that he killed a white girl first.

No, I'm not surprised at all that it was an Asian guy that did it. Really, it's just a matter of numbers. All the conditions are there.

/On a more personal note, I am rather annoyed that he coopted my haircut right before going on his killing spree. The newly released pictures of him look a bit too similar to me for my taste. Especially the ones where the lower half of his face is obscured.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:27 AM Post #42 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is extremely important that the news is reporting anything and everything possible on this case. Don't forget one thing we pride so much in this country is our First Amendment Right of freedom of speech and press. You may chose not to read/watch these things, but it is important that it gets out there. How else can we learn from our mistakes unless as much information as possible is made public? Information, good or bad, is important for society; IMHO the bad news is even more important than the good.

Reporting it is fine. But check out your local NBC affiliate's website. Mine has about half the page with his pictures and his guns and tons of links to his videos, etc... How about one link to more info about him for those that are interested. It doesn't need to be plastered all over the whole main page. It's impossible to miss it.

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #43 of 64
I won't pollute my K701s with the sound coming from those videos, so I haven't seen them.

I have not made a commentary on any other website about these events, nor any other commentary here because I haven't felt the urge to. However, I think to regard him as "mentally dumb" or as some kind of an invalid is remarkably immature. I don't know enough about him to make any sort of conclusion other than that he was a deeply troubled person, whether caused by himself or others I could not possibly say. I can say that there is no excuse for his course of action, and for him to assume that everyone is happy but himself is a clear sign that he should've sought mental help, or had it forced upon him. I do hold the university somewhat responsible, because it's becoming clear that they had knowledge that he was if nothing else an extremely depressed and disturbed person, and with that knowledge they are responsible to help him, and ensure that he is not a danger to himself or others. With that said, there is no one to blame here but Cho himself, what he did was cowardly and disgusting to the utmost. But it does prove that society has clearly not learned its lesson from previous similar events; that there are always warning signs which should not be ignored. I can only hope this inspires people to care more for those around them, and to have a greater knowledge of their surroundings, so that a person who is so deeply disturbed and violently inclined cannot slip through the cracks long enough to commit such an unbelievably vile and heinous act upon innocent people.

That said, I strongly feel that the attention of the nation should be more towards positive thinking about the future of the campus, and the victims and their families. To focus on the negativity of the act, and the man who committed it is an injustice to their pain. This should be a period of mourning for those who were lost, and remembrance of heroes such as Liviu Librescu. What I've taken away from these horrible events is a complete lack of understanding. I don't understand how someone can be so selfish that in their own misery they can inflict such pain on others, but not having been there I cannot truly expect to. I also cannot understand how someone can be so truly selfless as to knowingly sacrifice themselves to potentially save others. I'd love to say that I would do the same, but I also hope that I'm never in a circumstance where I really have to find out if I have it in me.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone at VT, as an engineering student at CU I've been trying to imagine my reaction to such an event on my campus, and I cannot even begin to fathom the struggles which lie ahead for everyone at VT.

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #44 of 64
Wow! the nbc reporter interviewing his suitemate is a complete idiot, he's never met an introverted kid in his life? ever?. The reporter sounded surprised to hear that his suitemates had not been informed of Cho's mental health issues, go figure...

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:50 AM Post #45 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by deathklok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think to regard him as "mentally dumb" or as some kind of an invalid is remarkably immature. I don't know enough about him to make any sort of conclusion other than that he was a deeply troubled person, whether caused by himself or others I could not possibly say. I can say that there is no excuse for his course of action, and for him to assume that everyone is happy but himself is a clear sign that he should've sought mental help, or had it forced upon him.

Yes, I agree. I feel sorry for Cho Seung-Hui because he was obviously living in a hell of hate and depression. A remarkably terrible place to be. It's inconvieveable that he was overlooked and not helped. He wasn't a thrill killer who performed murder again and again for pleasure. His killings were an explosion - an exit in rage. He was sick and crazy. He should have been helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back