Shocking new MSNBC article. *pics and vids of "Cho" before the massacre.
Apr 19, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange that the psychiatric detention order he received from a court in 2005 didn't show up when they did the background check for the weapons purchase.

It shouldn't.

Cho received a Temporary Detention Order in December 2005. He was then voluntarily admitted into a mental institution, where the doctor declared that he was not mentally defective, just depressed. At that point, he was released. He also had restraining orders placed on him at this time, but those had expired when he purchased the guns.

The NICS check does not cover this. If Cho had been ruled mentally defective, or if he had been involuntarily placed into a mental institution, then the NICS check would have denied his purchases. Also, if he had an active restraining order against him, the NICS check would have also denied his purchases.

It is done this way for very good reason.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #21 of 64
Anyone read the two one-act plays published on a blog and now also on various sites? It was part of a theater class, where you post your work on Blackboard and students critique it. I guess that's some of the "art" he's referring to, but OMG I can't believe a college senior was capable of writing so badly.

At first I thought that it may go badly in the future for any English major who writes a horror-type story for anything in college. Ya know, think of the young Stephen King's out there, whose teachers will freak when they write anything involving evil clowns.

But looking at this guy's writing, it's like a 7th grader wrote it. It's awful in every way. It's one thing to write a slasher piece, but he just comes off as a bit "special."

I wonder how much real bullying played a part, versus bullying that was imagined.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #22 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how much real bullying played a part, versus bullying that was imagined.

That is unfortunately one of the realities of the human race. We get distracted by things like another's appearance and facial expressions and body language. Some are just not good at them and get misinterpreted. OTOH, reading his feedback and the quotes from people who appear to be trying to do everything in their power to "rescue" him, I think there is probably something to it. Most teachers have a lot of faith in their students and in my mind, have rose colored glasses for a lot of faults and according to the quotes I read, even with rose colored glasses he was looking pretty bad.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #23 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I enjoyed the tribute to the victims much better,

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18143312/

that one I cared enough to watch several times.

+1. Sorry for posting the thread, guys. I didn't watch the videos, i already felt bad enough after looking at the *******'s face.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #24 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is unfortunately one of the realities of the human race. We get distracted by things like another's appearance and facial expressions and body language. Some are just not good at them and get misinterpreted. OTOH, reading his feedback and the quotes from people who appear to be trying to do everything in their power to "rescue" him, I think there is probably something to it. Most teachers have a lot of faith in their students and in my mind, have rose colored glasses for a lot of faults and according to the quotes I read, even with rose colored glasses he was looking pretty bad.

Yeah, and you can only force so much professional help on someone before it comes to just putting them in a hospital, which would have been up to his parents, and who knows how much they did or didn't know about him.

I guess we just try to grasp for a reason. Nothing justifies it, but to at least see the cause and effect. It really seems at this point at least, the cause and effect was mostly in his own mind. I know mom hated Virginia as well when her family moved there when she was just starting HS. She thought they were all uneducated snobs obsessed with family pedigree. But uhhh - she didn't grab a gun and decide to be judge, juror, and executioner either - and she had access to such things. Yes I know, different time, but it's safe to say some rights and wrongs don't change.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #25 of 64
I just don't know what to say. Being Korean-American myself and also a college student, it's hard for me to swallow what's happened in the last two days. The pictures just added to the sick feeling that I've had in my stomach since these events and the videos were just unreal. I don't even know what to think to be honest.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not meaning to be racial, i was very suprised to find out that the killer was an asian person.

Yeah. I didn't think it would be an Asian. Most Asians and Indians I know are very passive.

I have breakdowns/nightmares/hallucinations about this crap now... I'm practically afraid to go to school. Why does stuff happen like this? I get bullied like none other but I don't think I'd ever kill someone over hit. Slap in the face - maybe, bullet in the head - no.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone read the two one-act plays published on a blog and now also on various sites? It was part of a theater class, where you post your work on Blackboard and students critique it. I guess that's some of the "art" he's referring to, but OMG I can't believe a college senior was capable of writing so badly.

At first I thought that it may go badly in the future for any English major who writes a horror-type story for anything in college. Ya know, think of the young Stephen King's out there, whose teachers will freak when they write anything involving evil clowns.

But looking at this guy's writing, it's like a 7th grader wrote it. It's awful in every way. It's one thing to write a slasher piece, but he just comes off as a bit "special."

according to the article, he was the bully.

and yes, that's pretty horrible writing. there is a college senior who is a student teacher at my school, he writes exactly the same except not about people dieing. i don't make fun of people for not being the best writers but christ! at least pick a major you're good at.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:59 AM Post #28 of 64
It looks like the killer got exactly what he wanted - his video is being shown/talked about everywhere.

Apr 19, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #30 of 64
MSNBC just put up 5 pages from the manifesto that hadn't been posted earlier.

He's like an insane rambling homeless person, pulling in religious and other symbology regardless of whether it makes sense (he's got the neo-Nazi/white power "88" right under a heart surrounding a cross with eyes). The mention of John Mark Karr and Debra LaFave echoes the sexual abuse theme from his play "Mr Brownstone." What a real piece of work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back