shipping
Jun 15, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #31 of 39
Lost packages blow big time. I started out giving out refunds or replacements since I thought once or twice, it's alright, my feedback was more important than anything. Then slowly I realized that shipping to those countries just isn't smart, so I "stopped" shipping to those countries, but always get emails asking if I'd ship there. So I try and make it very clear that it isn't my responsibility and what has happened in the past. Thankfully I sell relatively cheap stuff, think screen protectors, silicone cases, etc. So when they do go missing, people are usually pretty ok with it since I told them about it already, but if not, I still hand out refunds.

For the bigger packages, I just take the negative feedback, it's not so bad once you get to powerseller level.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM Post #32 of 39
Think the USPS would make it easy for us? Course not. Sometimes, the online postage estimator does not jibe with the actual costs. Also, there is tracking with Priority International, but not First Class. Not sure though if, as you say, some countries don't have tracking with Priority. All I know is, sadly, it makes me nervous to ship to non CONUS addresses. I just sold my Minibox E+ to a fellow in Pago Pago, American Samoa. That only costs $4.80 since it's a US zip. But it's far away. Makes no sense.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #33 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is Priority Mail, which is cheaper than Express, but Priority doesn't offer tracking to countries like Turkey or Russia. I am not sure if tracking is offered to other countries like Canada, though. I guess I need to educate myself a little more!

Answer to your other question:
All my priority mail packages delivered without a problem, delivery guy said unregistered mails (mean first class) came stuffed in a sack with as is no barcode or any other info stealing them seems so easy to some so you know the rest...

But registered mails (priority & express mail for us) needs signature on delivery, this signature returns all the way back where it posted for proof also registered posts goes under processing which is working great in TR as i can see where it is clearly, i mean if it is given to delivery guy or being kept in customs office or transporting. (yes tracking works great in TR after item unloaded)

One or two months ago i saw priority mail prices fall down to 10$ - 15$ which was 18-26$ from some ebay sellers.
I bought a xbox360 controller with 12$ shipping with so called priority mail flat rate* (beware flat rate not international) Approx. 10 days later it was delivered but there were no need for a signature so it would be best to check for more info at post office.

Sorry for my English.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #34 of 39
Ok, just got off the phone with the USPS and there is a registered option for First Class for around $11, which makes the shipping $14 total. I was told registered is very secure, so I prodded as to why and was told it is shipped via a locked truck and is very secure. I had to give a country, so I used Turkey as my destination country. Not sure if the package would still get there, but hopefully it would be a higher chance. Also, there is no insurance available with that option, only the more expensive options (Express, Priority when using your own package which is in the $20's, and up).

Jun 15, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, just got off the phone with the USPS and there is a registered option for First Class for around $11, which makes the shipping $14 total. I was told registered is very secure, so I prodded as to why and was told it is shipped via a locked truck and is very secure. I had to give a country, so I used Turkey as my destination country. Not sure if the package would still get there, but hopefully it would be a higher chance. Also, there is no insurance available with that option, only the more expensive options (Express, Priority when using your own package which is in the $20's, and up).

Yay! Registered First Class eh?

Good to know there is something like that, indeed i whined about how expensive shipping is from us, now that is better.

As a reference i shipped a philips hp1000 to US in a box 2x the size of a sneaker box via registered mail that costed me 10$
tongue_smile.gif

@PharaohsVizier

I understand you wholeheartedly, it was saddening to see my country in a list with the uncivilized countries at first.
Now i can convince most of the ebay sellers that i would pay for a decent shipping option or i am responsible for item loss. But still there are trolls dont know even their countries states let alone the other countries.

One time a seller told me "your country is under terrorirst attack i cant not ship there" made my day really. What i reap from this somebody should teach to kids to not to believe everything in tv
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #37 of 39
Unfortunately packages go missing in some countries, I guess that is why the costs are so high. Not that it doesn't happen in the US, but I haven't had a package go missing shipped by the USPS in probably 10+ years.

@ PharaohsVizier: Thanks for the info, I am not a power seller, just sell from time to time, and I usually get more inquiries for certain items from overseas than the US. I really don't want negative feedback, so I try to make sure people know if I am shipping via First Class it is their responsibility after receipt with customs. Luckily I haven't dealt with a missing package.

@ ^adm^: I guess you can call us in the US lucky that international shipping is so cheap, as we reap the benefits when getting something shipped here. But I have no experience with registered, but would hope that the rate of packages arriving would be much higher.

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will never ship anything to Nigeria.

Forget it. Actually, all of Africa for that matter.

LOL, does anyone ship to Nigeria? When I sold on Ebay, that was one country not on my list!

Jun 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, does anyone ship to Nigeria? When I sold on Ebay, that was one country not on my list!

For god sake, I would avoid Nigeria...............
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back