shipping
Jun 15, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #17 of 39
Meant package tracking, not package shipping. Not that it really is a problem for me shipping international. A lot of people won't pay $26 for tracking (Express Mail) vs. $2 with just customs confirmation (First Class). When there is just customs confirmation I have to assume that the package will make it to it's final destination after I see that it made it to customs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ^adm^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in Turkey and had bought many stuff from overseas all i can say dont use first class mail for something you cant risk losing.

What have your experiences been? Does customs keep things?

Jun 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #18 of 39
My first buying from overseas experience was porta pro shipped with first class and it got lost.

2 years passed i hadn't bought anything with first class mail until i bought re2 from a seller here it is lost too
smily_headphones1.gif

(I haven't experienced any package lost other than US )

Customs office is usually not a problem here same rules with other European countries.

So my advise to sellers don't ever ship valuable things unregistered unless buyer has the commitment.

Jun 15, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #19 of 39
Sorry to hear about your lost packages. I would think it would have to be either customs keeping it or someone between customs and delivery to you. Have you had anything shipped to you via Priority?

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #20 of 39
I agree on First Class International. It's a big risk. I sold a pair of ER4P to a member in Malaysia, never arrived. I told the buyer it was at his risk, and he still wanted the cheapest shipping. Of course, I also sent him the case a few days later, and that did arrive. A crapshoot.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:30 PM Post #21 of 39
I would say USPS first class international is so risky based from my experience. My first IEM bought from headfier was im716. I did not think it was a big problem to ship it through first class without tracking, not to mention it saved10 buck . It turned out it took almost one month to get to my home. The seller almost made a refund to me as we all thought the package was lost already.

Jun 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #22 of 39
I have shipped a few items out of the U.S. for eBay sales and unless you are making a better than fair profit, I find it to just not be worth the hassle and the extra shipping expense.

I have a real world example, I'm probably going to sell my Turbines since my IE8s arrived.

So I paid $120 for them. I probably will only be able to sell them for $85-90 shipped. I'm already down $30 so to spend an hour of my time going to the post office and filling out a bunch of forms, compared to spending 5 minutes printing out a label and having my mail carrier pickup the package from my front porch, call me lazy but it's just not worth it for me.

On the other hand, if someone is willing to pay me for me time and use a safe reliable shipping method, I would consider it.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #23 of 39
Just as an FYI, you can use Click and Ship (print your own label) for global shipping, but it must be Priority or higher (starting around $24). You are right, it's a hassle, unless you live 5 mins. from the post office, which I do. Last week, I mailed a pair of phones (Metro.Fi 200v) to a member in Sweden, and I shipped 6/9 and they arrived 6/12. Amazing, and that was first class, the cheapest way. Tough to figure out USPS.

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #24 of 39
Actually, you can download Shipping Assistant and print labels at home, including First Class International. But you still have to bring the package to the post office to pay. The customs forms are automatically done for you also.

I am wondering what the difference between Priority and First Class is as far as international (I know First Class has a weight limit and is charged by weight)? Does Priority have a better chance of making it to the destination, as there is no tracking (just a customs #), and with a flat rate box it is $13 if I remember correctly.

Also, are there any cheaper methods from other companies with delivery confirmation for international?

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #25 of 39
The difference between fist class and priority is not obvious when it come to delivery of letter with a min amount declared at the custom. Last time I ordered some shure black olives for my UM3X, it was amazing fast which took less than five days to deliver those tips packed with letter with fist class services.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #26 of 39
Not that I have shipped a lot international, it seems like First Class would only be a good option for some countries like Canada or the UK. I don't want to say there is corruption in other countries, but how else would you explain items not making it to their destination.

So you figure $26+ to ship with tracking, a lot of buyers don't want to pay that, and I really didn't know until I started shipping, making me hesitant as to which shipping method to use.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #27 of 39
It is rather annoying, as a Canadian, to see many US residents shipping domestically only. We are RIGHT NEXT TO YOU! XD I'm not sure what it is, is it really cheap to ship domestically but super expensive to ship to Canada or something? Because shipping from Canada to US is almost the same as Canada to Canada, at least on the low end scale. And often Canadians are willing to pay the difference too (pointing at myself).

I've been eBaying a lot, and in my experience shipping to Europe and Asia is a big nono, asides from major countries like UK, France, Germany, China, Japan, etc, 25% of my packages get lost, and I'm not exaggerating. So far Italy has the WORST track record, 3 packages sent, none of the 3 arrived.

Anyways, bit of rant, since everyone loves to ship only to continental US. It's really annoying.
frown.gif

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #28 of 39
Thanks for the international info on which countries are good and bad. As far as Canada goes, it is the same to ship with tracking to Canada as it is to Australia or Russia. And on the same note, it is the same without tracking, which can be about the same as shipping in the US with First Class (but there is tracking within the US with First Class). I think the maximum item weight for First Class is 13 oz.

How do you handle lost packages?

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #29 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not that I have shipped a lot international, it seems like First Class would only be a good option for some countries like Canada or the UK. I don't want to say there is corruption in other countries, but how else would you explain items not making it to their destination.

So you figure $26+ to ship with tracking, a lot of buyers don't want to pay that, and I really didn't know until I started shipping, making me hesitant as to which shipping method to use.

Last time the shipping fee (UPS standard) I imported my Ultrasone hfi 780 from US headfier only cost 17USD with full tracking and insurance. I would say that was a very good deal, but it took a bit longer than it claimed when I first checked it online.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #30 of 39
There is Priority Mail, which is cheaper than Express, but Priority doesn't offer tracking to countries like Turkey or Russia. I am not sure if tracking is offered to other countries like Canada, though. I guess I need to educate myself a little more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back