Shd i sell my ATH-ESW9 for these?
May 31, 2011 at 12:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

bryangww

Head-Fier
Hey all,

Im currently considering getting IEM's and selling my ESW9 just cause they dont isolate well. I really love the sound of these cans though. I was thinking of getting the westone UM3X in replacement. Will my ears be happy with the change? Sound quality should be improved significantly right because the IEM's cost so much more, right?

Need your advice.

Thanks all.

May 31, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 17
I've found that full sized headphones in the same price range as IEMs are better though I'd say it's not really fair for IEMs to be compared that way. It feels like I am paying more for convenience,technology and portability; I'm not saying that there are no good sounding IEMs. If you like open headphones, moving to IEM is a big change; for the better or worse you'll have to try to find out.

May 31, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #4 of 17

IEMs will sound different than cans. They will be more intimate, more detailed but it wont have the headphone-ish sound. I would say that the UM3x will be a good replacement for the ESW9 though
Quote:
Hey all,

Im currently considering getting IEM's and selling my ESW9 just cause they dont isolate well. I really love the sound of these cans though. I was thinking of getting the westone UM3X in replacement. Will my ears be happy with the change? Sound quality should be improved significantly right because the IEM's cost so much more, right?

Need your advice.

Thanks all.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 17
it will be a totally difference reference not dealing with quality.  Headphones are on the outside of your ears , and the iems are inside your head, so it sounds like the sounds are actually inside your head. Obviously isolation is vastly improved.  Im gonna guess and say you would like it better.  I cant even compare my headphones to my iems because they have nothing to compare.  People usually say they like the sound on iems better because of the closeness to the eardrum, then the downside is have crap crammed in your ears.

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 17
I see. Id also like to check. The UM3X series has been designed for musicians and performers. Would that mean it would fall behind when it comes to casual listening or would it mean that its even better. Thanks

Jun 1, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #8 of 17
well you are going from a average headphone to one of the best iems. ive never had a problem with something designed for a musician being a problem for casual listening.  If your suggesting very clear or bright sounds that make you pay attention a lot, i personally would just eq it.

Jun 1, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 17

Quote:
well you are going from a average headphone to one of the best iems. ive never had a problem with something designed for a musician being a problem for casual listening.  If your suggesting very clear or bright sounds that make you pay attention a lot, i personally would just eq it.

Have you actually heard either of these headphones?

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #11 of 17
I would not say the ESW9s are average headphones. 
normal_smile .gif

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 17
ESW9 and ES3X sounds pretty much opposite. The ESW9 is smooth and have a (relatively) big soundstage, the ES3X have a very quick response over all the spectrum but the soundstage is very flat (even when compared to other Westone, like Westone 3). If you wanted a pair of IEM that might sound somewhat similar to the ESW9, the IE8 is somewhat close than the others but still sounds very different.

The ES3X is surely more detailed, but the soundstage on it might not be good enough compared to ESW9 or other IEMs. That being said so, both are portable headphones, and if you posted on the Portable headphones & IEM subforum, I am sure there will be more replies there.

Jun 1, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #13 of 17
It's the UM3x not the ES3x customs :p but your description seems accurate. Yes he won't find the soundstage on the IEMs, but he will find the detail and superb isolation he's looking for

Jun 1, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #14 of 17
It's the UM3x not the ES3x customs :p but your description seems accurate. Yes he won't find the soundstage on the IEMs, but he will find the detail and superb isolation he's looking for

FUUU, it always mess me up with the Westones E and U series, and they tend to have same numbers as well... And yes, I meant the UM3X, haven't heard the ES3X. UM3X soundstage, even compared with other IEMs is very small, depends if you value soundstage highly it might not be ideal.

Jun 1, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #15 of 17
very funny how people who replied this question doesnt seem to have personally listen to esw9.
its a unique headphone by itself, so far i've yet to find anything similar.
closest to its sound would be ath w10vtg, which is also similar to ad300. its closed, very balanced (means doesnt emphasize a certain frequency) and its colored in a very nice way, tonally there's a touch of sound in the tone, but it also specific to each tone and helps to amplify difference between the same strings, say, difference between violin a and violin b of different make. this is something you will not find in any other non wood headgear, the wood coloration. it also has audio technica's voicing signature, which is different than all sennheisers, all akgs, all beyers, and all shures.

based on how i remember esw9 compared to my ex ath w10vtg, i can give you the following opinion, since i have auditioned the um3x as well.

Imo esw9 can be considered a top level portable headphone, it can take the fight to ath woodies, hd650, akg k701, etc.
it's easily above ad700 in terms of smoothness, delicacy and presentation, something you'd get from any top level headphones.

um3x is totally different.
the main thing you should know is that esw9 is mid centric, vocalist, pianos will be the main presentation, bass and treble are supporting behind. um3x is bassy and less vocal than ews9, more u-shaped. bass will be more in focus, vocals will be pushed further behind the overall presentation, treble, might be similar, but i'd say u will hear more details um3x, from bass to treble, even the mids, compared to esw9, but the presentation will not be as thick on the mids. u get more details, more clarity, but u lose some body and weight, the hefty sound coming from big driver.
as for relaxed sounding, i can say both are relaxed sounding. both is not offensive sounding. both is up there in terms of smoothness and delicacy, ur ears will tell u which one is better in that regard.

however bass and details is more focused in um3x, meaning is focused or lumped together. this is a limitation of iem to a headphone driver which have more room to breath. u wont have the relaxed sounding that headphone can give because of 'the scale' of the presentation. headphone can give bigger scale, just like comparing speaker and headphone, speaker can give bigger scale.
what iem does better than headphone is the focus in sound. sound is immediately injected to ur eardrums. u get more focus, but lesser scale. hence, u can hear more details, more micro details. isolation helps you hear better as well. if this is what you are looking for, then its probably a right option.
but if ur looking for the same sound in compact size, i've yet to hear an alternative to esw9.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back