Shanling UA5 - Portable USB DAC/AMP || 4.4mm Balanced Output || Hybrid Battery Power || Independent Volume Control || 235 USD / Euro
Mar 19, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #78 of 97
How do you put UA5 in a different mode?

I am experiencing a similar issue too, Motorola Edge 30 Ultra
You can switch UA5 to UAC 1.0 by holding down the wheel when connecting it to the device. It's covered in manual.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 22, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #80 of 97
Hey everyone new guy here looking for some potential tech feedback with regard to my new UA5. I also posted this on HiFi guides but I figured that I would try here as well.

So I just received a Shanling UA5 as a birthday gift, and upon starting it up, I noticed that the very outer edges of the OLED screen are brighter than the rest of the display. Upon scrolling through some of the sub menus I also noticed that the main menu text seems as if it’s peeking through the sub menu graphics, like a subtle ghosted image. This leads me to believe that my display has OLED burn-in.

The second thing - I originally couldn’t get the UA5 to produce any sound, and after some tinkering I noticed that I have to plug the USB-C into the audio source device first, and only once the UA5 powers on, am I able to plug in my IEM’s. Only then do I hear the sound, and I have to do this every time the UA5 powers down. This is something that I reproduced on two Android phones, an Android DAP, and my Windows 10 PC.

Is this normal behavior for this DAC? To me it currently seems like I have a rather defective unit. As a side note, it was purchased from the Shanling store on AliExpress.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 22, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #81 of 97
Hey everyone new guy here looking for some potential tech feedback with regard to my new UA5. I also posted this on HiFi guides but I figured that I would try here as well.

So I just received a Shanling UA5 as a birthday gift, and upon starting it up, I noticed that the very outer edges of the OLED screen are brighter than the rest of the display. Upon scrolling through some of the sub menus I also noticed that the main menu text seems as if it’s peeking through the sub menu graphics, like a subtle ghosted image. This leads me to believe that my display has OLED burn-in.

The second thing - I originally couldn’t get the UA5 to produce any sound, and after some tinkering I noticed that I have to plug the USB-C into the audio source device first, and only once the UA5 powers on, am I able to plug in my IEM’s. Only then do I hear the sound, and I have to do this every time the UA5 powers down. This is something that I reproduced on two Android phones, an Android DAP, and my Windows 10 PC.

Is this normal behavior for this DAC? To me it currently seems like I have a rather defective unit. As a side note, it was purchased from the Shanling store on AliExpress.

Thanks in advance for any help.
I haven't encountered those issues with my device, but I use it on iOS and purchased it from Shenzen Audio.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #82 of 97
I haven't encountered those issues with my device, but I use it on iOS and purchased it from Shenzen Audio.
Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. I'm pretty confident that my unit is defective, and I sent Shanling an email, hopefully I hear back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a refurbished unit considering it has two glaring issues, just hoping the customer service at Shanling won't give me a hard time with it.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #83 of 97
Thanks, this is what I wanted to know. I'm pretty confident that my unit is defective, and I sent Shanling an email, hopefully I hear back. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a refurbished unit considering it has two glaring issues, just hoping the customer service at Shanling won't give me a hard time with it.
I had similar issues with my Samsung S22 Ultra wand the UA5. Reach out to @Shanling . There are known issues with the UA5 on some Android devices. They have a firmware fix, but due to some reasons not shared they are not rolling that out for all users. But they will send you a link if you PM them.

The UA5 is a pretty amazing device once you get it working. Good luck!

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #84 of 97
I had similar issues with my Samsung S22 Ultra wand the UA5. Reach out to @Shanling . There are known issues with the UA5 on some Android devices. They have a firmware fix, but due to some reasons not shared they are not rolling that out for all users. But they will send you a link if you PM them.

The UA5 is a pretty amazing device once you get it working. Good luck!
Really? Okay, well maybe there is some hope then still, thanks for the heads up. Shanling is still on Lunar New Year holidays, so I will be waiting until next week for a reply, we'll see how that goes. I take your word for it though, when it's running, the UA5 sounds fantastic.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #85 of 97
Really? Okay, well maybe there is some hope then still, thanks for the heads up. Shanling is still on Lunar New Year holidays, so I will be waiting until next week for a reply, we'll see how that goes. I take your word for it though, when it's running, the UA5 sounds fantastic.
Yup, definitely great sounding device. I cannot guarantee that you are having the same problem I was having, but sounds familiar, and after updating with that fw no more issues.

Feb 22, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #86 of 97
Actually, you may not have to wait for @Shanling to return from the Lunar New Year celebrations…. If you refer to this post on the other UA5 thread you will find a link for it, along with other discussion about Android compatibility issues: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...ur-portable-usb-dac-amps.961713/post-17545382

I cannot guarantee that (a) the fw is still there (if it isn’t you may need to wait for a response from them), and (b) this solves your issues.

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #87 of 97
Actually, you may not have to wait for @Shanling to return from the Lunar New Year celebrations…. If you refer to this post on the other UA5 thread you will find a link for it, along with other discussion about Android compatibility issues: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...ur-portable-usb-dac-amps.961713/post-17545382

I cannot guarantee that (a) the fw is still there (if it isn’t you may need to wait for a response from them), and (b) this solves your issues.
Perfect, thank you again. It looks like the firmware link in that thread still works, so I'll have a read and decide what to do from there.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #89 of 97
Did this FW fix your issues?
I read over the whole thread but have not tried the firmware yet, the reason being that my issue though similar, is not quite the same. The similar part is having to connect the USB-C while the music is playing. Mine is similar but it's the audio jack that you have to connect while the music is playing in order to get any sound (so it's technically the opposite of the USB connector issue). The thing that differs greatly though is that the issue that the firmware is supposed to resolve is compatibility problems with some Samsung / Android phones, my problem occurs across the board, not matter what I plug the UA5 into. Maybe I'll flash it this weekend, I just don't want it to come back and bite me in terms of warranty replacement. I just have a hunch that my unit is actually defective.

Feb 24, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #90 of 97
Did this FW fix your issues?
So I went ahead and did the firmware update and still no dice. At this point I'm pretty confident that I got a dud. OLED burn-in, the whole no sound until I unplug and re-plug my IEMs, and finally I also noticed some sporadic half second sound cut outs. I feel they sent me some RMAd / used unit, as that's simply too many issues to have in one. I love the sound when the UA5 is working, but this being my first Shanling product (and it's not a cheap dongle by any means), I'm sorely disappointed and bummed. It's an awesome birthday gift from my brother, I mean it could be if it functioned as it should. I'm just praying that Shanling doesn't give me a runaround with this thing. Anyway, thanks for going out of your way to try to help me, truly awesome of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back