Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #602 of 899
Yesterday, my shangling em5 hung while playing a song through Qubuz, only holding the power button for 30 seconds helped.

Also, when switching from the linear output mode to the preout mode, the gain control stops working not from the curtain, not from the settings menu. It starts working only after a reboot. Also in 1.5.1, the output power in the line out mode has increased compared to the turbo boost mode in the preout mode.

Is it possible to adapt the size of the interface in the Qubuz application? Reduce the UI bezels in an app to increase the app's workspace? And also the status bar in 1.3 was thinner, why was it increased? It carries no useful information, it is only needed to access the quick settings menu.

Until now, the screen projection mode is working very badly (large response delay, freezes, often crashes).

Hi,

So far, I have not experienced problems with files playing through Qobuz.
But I do agree that the display is too small to use Qobuz (or any other online service) decently.

But for Tidal and Qobuz there is a possible workaround that works :wink:
It requires an Android smartphone or tablet though :wink:
If you have an Android tablet (or phone but I'll talk about tablet) just download BubbleUPNP.
Once installed, launch it.
On first launch it will ask toselect a renderer. Of course, choose the EA5/EM5 from Shanling as a renderer.
Then it will ask you to select a source. You can choose a NAS or an online music service.
Choose "Qobuz" and enter your credentials.
There you go : music will automatically be played to the EA5/EM5 from Qobuz... and with an interface that is esier to use.
BUT : I experience the same problem on Qobuz as I have on NAS. It may not jump to following track with manual intervenetion.
Tidal does not seem to have that problem... Unexplainable and unacceptable... Unless this is a hardware issue :wink:

Anyways, it seems that everyone has problems with this device and especially it's software.
And taht we have to find workarounds...
My greatest fear is that when there will be a replacement for the EA5/EM5, we will have no more updates.
And we'll have to live with a crippled device that we paid a great amount of money.

Not something proper to Shanling. All of it's sibblings are doing the same (just look at SMSL DP3)...

So I still have one week to take this back to seller.
If there's no light of hope that issues are adressed, then I'll indeed will return it.

Regards.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #603 of 899
Hi,

So far, I have not experienced problems with files playing through Qobuz.
But I do agree that the display is too small to use Qobuz (or any other online service) decently.

But for Tidal and Qobuz there is a possible workaround that works :wink:
It requires an Android smartphone or tablet though :wink:
If you have an Android tablet (or phone but I'll talk about tablet) just download BubbleUPNP.
Once installed, launch it.
On first launch it will ask toselect a renderer. Of course, choose the EA5/EM5 from Shanling as a renderer.
Then it will ask you to select a source. You can choose a NAS or an online music service.
Choose "Qobuz" and enter your credentials.
There you go : music will automatically be played to the EA5/EM5 from Qobuz... and with an interface that is esier to use.
BUT : I experience the same problem on Qobuz as I have on NAS. It may not jump to following track with manual intervenetion.
Tidal does not seem to have that problem... Unexplainable and unacceptable... Unless this is a hardware issue :wink:

Anyways, it seems that everyone has problems with this device and especially it's software.
And taht we have to find workarounds...
My greatest fear is that when there will be a replacement for the EA5/EM5, we will have no more updates.
And we'll have to live with a crippled device that we paid a great amount of money.

Not something proper to Shanling. All of it's sibblings are doing the same (just look at SMSL DP3)...

So I still have one week to take this back to seller.
If there's no light of hope that issues are adressed, then I'll indeed will return it.

Regards.
through upnp, the quality of playback of streaming services on all such devices always sounds worse than on the built-in applications in the software

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:14 AM Post #604 of 899
through upnp, the quality of playback of streaming services on all such devices always sounds worse than on the built-in applications in the software
Hi,

Really ?
I think my ears are not as good as yours :frowning2:
I can't hear a difference !

So you're saying that if I take files from my NAS from, say, Plex that is configured as DLNA server, then that will degrade sound quality ?
So I am to retrieve files directly from the folders on the NAS ?
That is highly NOT convenient :frowning2:

Anyways, as playback stops after each track my workaround is not one.
May I ask for a favour ?
I'd really be glad if you can see if you have the same problem on your device so I can make sure this problem is not a hardware problem.
So if you could try to play an album or so over BubbleUPNP and tell me if playback goes through several files in a row, I'd be happy to know...
Thanks in advance :wink:

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #605 of 899
Help, I just tried to turn on the EM5, but it does not turn on, it spins endlessly on the power logo screen. The last listening session completed normally. Now I disconnected all cables from it, except for the power cable, took out the microSD card, nothing helps, what should I do?

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:27 AM Post #606 of 899
Help, I just tried to turn on the EM5, but it does not turn on, it spins endlessly on the power logo screen. The last listening session completed normally. Now I disconnected all cables from it, except for the power cable, took out the microSD card, nothing helps, what should I do?
Hi,

Sorry to hear that.

I have no real idea what you should do, but what I would do is to unplug even the power cable and wait for some minutes before I plug the cable back in...

If that does not help, then we will probably make a new statement : there is o "Reset" button anywhere and so you'll have to take the unit back for service.

I sincerely hope that you'll find a way to reboot your device !

Jan 21, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #608 of 899
Solved muy problem with Amazon Music.
I had to reinstall the app and for now seems to work properly.
It's really sad to see so many folks here with problems. Shanling have to work seriosly on the software. Hardware is really good and sound is fantastic, pity of this software.
Hi,

Glad to hear you solved your problem with Amazon Music.

AND YES : I am thinking exactly the same as you do : wonderful hardware ; nightmarish software.

BUT I MUST SAY that I am discovering all possibilities that Eddict has to offer.
And once you learn about all it can do, it works pretty well.
Less 2/3 things that I already mentioned but will repeat (so maybe the people at Shanling will do something about it :wink: ) :
- WE NEED GAPLESS playback support ; for now we have a really short pause, but that causes problems ;
- I would like to have album cover art when browsing through the albums of an artist
- I would like to have the ability to display albums by date (but that I have if I use Plex as a media server).

So basically 2 features that I would like to see.

Regards.

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #609 of 899
The only thing that has changed from previous listening sessions is that I switched it to line-out mode and turned it off in it. If there is anyone who uses the line-out mode on 1.5.1 or who wants to test the theory on their player, then switch it to line-out mode and turn it off, try to turn it on later?

I unplugged the player for the whole night, but when I just tried to turn it on, I already noticed artifacts on the screen in the form of vertical stripes, I shot the video during the second turn on in the morning, artifacts are already visible on it, as if from screen burnout.

Yesterday I thought that the androyd had flown out of the device’s memory, so it couldn’t start, but today I already understand that the problem is most likely in the motherboard or chips.
IMG_0660.jpg

I'm going to take it back to the store today =(

Attachments

• Снимок экрана 2023-01-22 в 09.56.16.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-01-22 в 09.56.16.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Снимок экрана 2023-01-22 в 09.56.33.png
    Снимок экрана 2023-01-22 в 09.56.33.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jan 22, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #610 of 899
Hi,
Really sorry to hear that !!! Hope the store will not be closed (here, on Sundays, all stores are closed) and that you will get no problem getting a replacement or a refund...
And that they will not offer a reapir which may take some time !
Hope the best for you... and hope I won't suffer this problem !
Regards.

Jan 23, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #611 of 899
Hi,

Any news of your EM5 ?
Hope everything went well for you...

Me I keep exploring the EA5 and especially the Eddict software.
And once you get to know it's functions, it becomes quite handy...
Not perfect, but still : enough to keep it and use it on a daily basis :wink:

Regards.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #612 of 899
Hi,

Any news of your EM5 ?
Hope everything went well for you...

Me I keep exploring the EA5 and especially the Eddict software.
And once you get to know it's functions, it becomes quite handy...
Not perfect, but still : enough to keep it and use it on a daily basis :wink:

Regards.
Salute! I handed over to the service area of the store, they will announce the decision only after the diagnosis. But they immediately warned that a large influx of equipment after a long weekend due to the New Year holidays.

Alas, I do not share your optimism about edict player, without this program it would be simply impossible to use the device in a home stereo system, only as a desktop device for headphones. Compared to competitors' software, I no longer say that Matrix Audio has bad software) I perceive the edict player as a necessary solution when using EM5, but it is simply terrible, just like the interface of the player itself.

A shanling company needs to hire a good senior developer who will create a strong concept of a single shanling device management application.

Jan 23, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #613 of 899
Salute! I handed over to the service area of the store, they will announce the decision only after the diagnosis. But they immediately warned that a large influx of equipment after a long weekend due to the New Year holidays.

Alas, I do not share your optimism about edict player, without this program it would be simply impossible to use the device in a home stereo system, only as a desktop device for headphones. Compared to competitors' software, I no longer say that Matrix Audio has bad software) I perceive the edict player as a necessary solution when using EM5, but it is simply terrible, just like the interface of the player itself.

A shanling company needs to hire a good senior developer who will create a strong concept of a single shanling device management application.

Hi,

Yes, I agree that Eddict should be better.
And yes, a good senior developer would be mandatory to improve things.

The part that is somewhat disappointing is that there is not that much missing to make a rather good software.
It has a lot of good ideas... But they're not well implemented !

Anyways, I hope you'll get your problems with your device sorted.

Regards from France.

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #614 of 899
Hi,

This morning : no more network.
On Android... which is all about network !
How can a developer manage to screw Network on Android ?
That is beyond me... and I am a Android custom ROM builder !

But after being in touch with the developers of two or three app that are usually working wonderfully on Android, it looks like the problem in using thrid party software to drive this device is simple : IT DOES NOT SUPPORT PROPER GAPLESS playback.
I do not know if that is a software limitation or a hardware limitation, but I suspect it is SOFTWARE.

TO ALL PEOPLE IN HERE : I have only 3 days to decide to keep it or not.
PLEASE DO ME A FAVOUR IF YOU CAN :
- Install a software called "BubbleUPNP" on your Android smartphone or tablet ;
- Launch it and select the EA5/EM5 as a target (renderer) to playback your files ;
- Select your NAS as a source ;
- Once done, select an album to play entirely.

What I would like to know is if the tracks are played in a row or not.
Me, after the first track, the playback stops.
But as I got a "demo" unit, maybe it has a hardware problem... and if it does I'd like to take it back to reseller before it's too late.

If that's only on my device, then this means that I probably have a defective device.
If that happens to you too, then the problem is probably software...

Thanks in advance if you can do that for me !!!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #615 of 899
MESSAGE TO SHANLING :

The device specifications say that the headphone amplifier has an output of 570mW.
Please : can you tell me where those 570mW are ?

If I use the device as a USB DAC, in Turbo Gain and volume set at 100 sound is just loud. It should just be impossible to listen to if it indeed had 571mW.

As a comparison from you own devices. I own the M6 DAP. It is supposed to have an output power of 160mW in asymetrical output.
If I just switch the USB output of the computer form a device to the other, sound is MUCH louder with the DAP as it is with the A5.
I simply can not listen to the DAP at 100 (I can go up to 80) when I can do it with the EA5.

Any explanation except :
- 1°) unreliable measures from your side ?
- 2°) defective device ?

I know that I will get : a) no answer ; b) an answer like "We can not reproduce it on our own device"...

This is more and more looking like a NO KEEPER...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back