Shanling Streamers - EM5 & NEW EA5 Plus
Jan 25, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #616 of 899
The device specifications say that the headphone amplifier has an output of 570mW.
Please : can you tell me where those 570mW are ?
What is your exact question here?

The specification shows how/when you get the 570 mW on your 32 Ohm SINGLE ENDED headset:
EM5-Specs.jpg

If you connect your headset BALANCED you get much more output power (if needed) - in case your headset has separated connectors for Left/Right...

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #618 of 899
What is your exact question here?

The specification shows how/when you get the 570 mW on your 32 Ohm SINGLE ENDED headset:
EM5-Specs.jpg

If you connect your headset BALANCED you get much more output power (if needed) - in case your headset has separated connectors for Left/Right...
I am using the EA5, not the EM5.

When I use it as a USB DAC, the sound level is definitely NOT at 570mW.
Used at 100% music is just "loud"...

I just switch to Shanling M6 DAP.

So exact same source : and at 80% music is almost impossible to listen to...

So I wonder how the EA5 can be given at 570mW output if the M6 produces more power with the same source and the same headphoen while it is supposed to max out at 162mW ?

This is my exact question : if you use the EA5/EM5 as USB DAC do you also have a sigificant loss of power output as headphone amp ?

Regards.

Jan 25, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #620 of 899
The signal source has no effect on the signal strength in the headphones.
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

If what you say is true, I suspect that my device is defective :frowning2:

To make sure I took those exact same files and did following :
- played them from computer to EA5 device as USB DAC ;
- played them from the NAS to the EA5 device ;
- played them from a local USB Drive to the EA5 ;
- played them to a Shanling M6 DAC connected as USB DAC to the same computer.

When playing from computer (running under Linux Arch) I made sure that the sound was set at 100% and that the selected output would play Digital Stereo.
I even turned the sound output to use alsa insted of pulse so I was sure that there would be no sound alteration when coming out of computer...

The result is :
- when the files are played from computer to EA5 device as USB DAC, I have to set volume to Turbo Gain and crank up sound somewhere between 80 and 100 to get sound as I am used to ;
- when the files are played from the NAS to the EA5 device, I set the volume to about 30/35 with Turbo gain to get the volume level I am used to ;
- when the files are played from a local USB Drive to the EA5, the volume is set to 30/35 to get the volmue level I am used to ;
- when the files are played from the computer to the M6 used as USB DAC, I get a volume I am used to at about 65/70... but that is supposed to have 160mW output.

Do you guys confirm that you have about the same volume Level in USB Mode and in local playing of files ?

Regards.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 2:55 AM Post #625 of 899
Hi all,

Maybe I can report some good news :wink:

So far, it is working.

BUT THIS HAS TO BE CONFIRMED...

What would be the good news ?
Simply put : I have finally been able to set-up third party software to drive the EA5 (and it should work with EM5).

I'll test it out for some time and if that is confirmed I'll report here about how to set everything up.

Regards.

EDIT : working on another device. This is a good sign...
EDIT 2 : also working with display of tablet/smartphone off. This is good also :wink:
EDIT 3 : not good news :frowning2: Playback stopped again :frowning2: But ; I think I know why :xf_cool:
EDIT 4 : The results so far :
- 4 Beethoven Piano Concertos in a row. Had to lauch playback to get the 5th to be played.
- Andre Manoukian : Anouch in a row
- Loreena McKennitt : had to relaunch playback twice in "The Elemental Album" but once in the other one I layed
- Iron Maiden - Caught Somewhere in Time : played through the whole album
- Now listening to Arthur Lyman "Taboo"... Let's see if it goes through :)
So far, I will consider this acceptable :)

For some reason this has stopped working.
I know am back to square one : if I control the EA5 witrh a third party software I am often stuck at the middle of the playback...
I'll do some more tests later to see if I can find a cause as to why it is working or not.
But given the reactions here that are non existent, I suspect that no one cares about this...
Probably because sales of this device are nothing more than confidential (probably half a dozen sold over the world).

Anyone in here who would test it's own device so I can check if it is hardware or software ?

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #626 of 899
Hi

QUESTION TO SHANLING :
Can you please correct this horrile bug in your own Eddict software ?
If I launch that app and ask to play a song from a local file and then send it to the EA5 as a renderer, there is no way to take control of the playlist.
And that playlist NEVER flushes.
So your tracks are played one after the other for the rest of your life...

And if you decide to play from another source, at the end of each track of that other source, you're automatically taken to the next track of the previous playlist.
So you can hear a nice mix of the two playlists.
Dreadful...

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #627 of 899
QUESTION TO SHANLING ABOUT EDDICT SOFTWARE

In your software, you can decide to play song from a local source.
If you do so, after the local source has been updated, you can view your files that are sorted by Artist.

You are of course aware that, if you sselect an artist, Eddict software will display ALL of his tracks, in alphabetical order.
So there is no way to select the artist and then the album...

Is that not a MAJOR feature missing ?

There are several media servers (Plex, Emby) that are FREE that may be a source of inspiration for you...

Regards.

Jan 27, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #628 of 899
QUESTION TO SHANLING

Do you even hear the complaints of ALL the people in here ?

So please, stop talking non sense about "We can not allow to install your own software because we are focusing on sound quality".

Since I have this device, I have NOT BEEN ABLE TO ENJOY IT'S SOUND because I am facing technical issues...

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #629 of 899
QUESTION TO THE COMMUNITY

Anyone in here having the EA5/EM5 ?

If so could you please do me a favour ?

1°) can you check if the output level of the headphones vary according to source ? For me, output levelis OK with every input BUT not the USB input... Even when playing local files.

2°) Can you install BubbleUPNP on an Android Tablet and see if you can play files in a row when the EA5/EM5 is used as the renderer ?

I really would like to be able to tell if this is a hardware problem or if that is a flaw in the device conception.

Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back