Shanling PH100
Apr 1, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #31 of 65
I've got the 32ohm version of the DT880 and it sounds very nice with the shanling. Ive also got some AD1000PRM headphones on the way which I am hoping will be a good match. I agree that the PH100 is better suited to low impedance phones based on the specs and also my experience.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #32 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninkul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880 still trumps the K701 in this setup.

That's really odd. I would expect exactly the opposite. There's no substitution for first-hand experience, I guess.

Apr 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #33 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's really odd. I would expect exactly the opposite. There's no substitution for first-hand experience, I guess.

I gave up on liking the K701 as a headphone. Its good, but it has flaws. I found they were really picky with the kind of music you put through them whereas the DT880/600 are less so, although they sound a bit "bland" perhaps, treble is a bit dull at times.

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #34 of 65
I just received my PH100 today, and it sounds like my AKG K242HD's will be spared the auction block. It's nice to hear that they do actually have some weight to them in the bottom of the spectrum.
I've been powering them with a little dot 1+. This amp apparently doesn't have the power capability the AKG's require. The amp sounded fine with a set of Shure 840's (they went back to the guitar center) I had for a couple weeks. The 840's sound fine, but are very heavy and I have weird ear pressure issues with completley sealed phones. Anyway, after my 242HD arrived I was pleased with the sound except for a nearly complete lack of bottom end response. I chalked it up to a lack of burn-in time. Fast forward about 150 hours, and the 242's have marginally better bottom end response, but still not acceptable to me. They were about to be sold. I've read several times that the AKG 70x series require a lot of power to sound their best and figured that this could be the case with my 242HD. Plus, what a great excuse to add another amp to the collection!
Now, with the three hours time I've got on the amp so far, I've got a different set of 242HD on my head. They've got weight, extension, and transient attack that wasn't there before. I'm much happier so far. There is just a tiny touch of sibilance/edginess that I'm hoping will smooth out with time. I'll post an update, but this amp is a great buy in my book!

Apr 16, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #35 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmayer167 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sorry to detract from the op's can search but i know its been said the k701 pairs fairly well with this amp, anybody heard the combo and can recommend it? Id be using it with my 702s.

Hi

I was one of the original posters on the deleted thread, all I can say is that I can highly recommend the 701/702 with the PH100, I also enjoy it with my HD580/600, Grado SR325is and K501s.

In reference to the two inputs they are different, Aux is direct, the CD input has two capacitors so you have reserve current on dynamic passages. On CD you’ll notice that it takes a while for the light to go out after it is turned off, that’s just the capacitors draining.
All in all though this is highly overlooked amp, I was going to get the Gilmore GS-1 to replace my Meier but once the Shanling PH100 was in my system I really lost the upgrade bug.
IMHO it is a very good amp regardless of price.

Robert
Toronto

IMG_1076.jpg

full album here

http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o...ling%20PH1000/

May 27, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #36 of 65
PH100 can drive the Denon AH-D2000 beautifully. It's not too warm at all, in contrast, helps "calm down" the Denon in a good way, compared to the direct HP output of my sources both the bass and tremble are more controlled. No more bloating bass and over-exited highs. Denon needs tight control, like a wicked boy, and this amp can do it. As for airiness and space there might be better alternatives, but I'm still very satisfied.
Using this combo for 2 years.

May 27, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #37 of 65
Agreed that it is a very underrated amp.  I think most people here have not heard it, but those that do have nary a bad word to say about it.

Quote:
All in all though this is highly overlooked amp, I was going to get the Gilmore GS-1 to replace my Meier but once the Shanling PH100 was in my system I really lost the upgrade bug.
IMHO it is a very good amp regardless of price.

May 27, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #38 of 65
One thing that occured to me, is that the circuit board in my PH100 is green, not yellow like Rob80b's and many others. I have never opened it, but I can clearly see through the holes on the top side when using a flashlight and it's definitely green :s

May 27, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #39 of 65

Quote:
One thing that occured to me, is that the circuit board in my PH100 is green, not yellow like Rob80b's and many others. I have never opened it, but I can clearly see through the holes on the top side when using a flashlight and it's definitely green :s

Probably just different time of manufacturing. I'd look at mine if i had a flashlight that wasn't red lol :p

Jul 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #40 of 65
I have a large number of dacs and amps including the rather expensive sugden headmaster. In my opinion the ph100 is up there with the headmaster at a fraction of the price. I have used it with the following headphones all of which work fine with it:-

Denon ah-d5000
AT ATH-W5000
Sony Sa5000
Beyer DT990Pro

For the price the PH100 is unbeatable, at any price it is excellent and the build quality is excellent. I have 2 of them now.

Michael

Jul 25, 2010 at 7:19 AM Post #41 of 65
That's nice to hear, I definitely agree that the Shanling PH100 is an excellent amp. Would love to read about a comparison of the PH100 vs. Schiit Asgard, the flavor of the month solid-state class-A fully discrete headphone amp at this moment, which is about in the same price range.

You're sure the PH100 is able to drive the DT990pro well enough (smooth frequency response, enough volume), cause they only come in 250Ω, right?

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #43 of 65
Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but this seems to be the best place to ask my question:

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of the PH100 vs. the internal headphone amp in the Shanling PCD300 CD player? How's it different/better?

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #44 of 65
No need to apologize, digging up an old thread is usually better than starting a new one :)

You know, the built-in amplifier of the PCD300A is very decent. The PH100 is designed to work best with low/medium impedance headphones (no more than about 300 ohms), which the PCD300A can also handle quite nicely. I would even dare to say that the sonic differences between the PCD300A integrated amp and the PH100 amp are barely noticeable. To name a few though, I'd say the stereo imaging and instrument seperation are slightly better through the PH100, but that's about it. Which is exactly the reason why I'm not using my PH100 with the PCD300A anymore (but rather with a Hotaudio DAC-WOW at my computer. For the PCD300A I'm using a Concerto amp, which is miles ahead of the PH100 but a lot more expensive).

If you're considering the PCD300A+PH100 combo, but definitely are only going to be using low impedance headphones, and are on a tight budget, I wouldn't advice getting the PH100.
Rest assured, I am loving the heck out of my PH100 (with the DAC-WOW and a DT 770pro/80), every day many hours, even as I'm writing this. The fully-discrete solid state design also makes it a nice hand-warmer in winter!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back