Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Jan 14, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #451 of 1,352
Wondering if impressions have changed now that you've had it a little while longer?
I was only demoing it for a really short period of time. I didn't pay much attention to it after encountering a bug and a crash with the player within the first few minutes of using it, and that really sours my expectations on M9. So I doubt I will be going back to it in the near future.

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #452 of 1,352
I’ve experienced 1 crash since I’ve owned M9 which is now a few weeks. It’s been very stable overall.

Also after quite a few A/B sessions between M9 and DX300 Max Ti, I think M9 has better sound quality. DX300 Max Ti indeed has a larger soundstage, but M9 has a much more textured and analogue sound, without being overly warm or dark. DX300 Max Ti comes off dry and quite lifeless by comparison. I’m a big fan of DX300 Max Ti, but M9 IMHO has a more enjoyable and engaging sound to my ears, with my music library and collection of IEM’s. Usual disclaimer, ymmv depending on synergy with transducer, music taste and sound preferences.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 7:26 AM Post #453 of 1,352
One of the reasons I've not jumped on Ti tbh. Sound sig I suspect isn't massively different but I could imagine Ti tips the balance.

Anyway, think I'll give Andrew a shout and get an M9 sent out for curiosity. Was top of my list before MAX came along so should really give it a spin and see how it does!

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #455 of 1,352
One of the reasons I've not jumped on Ti tbh. Sound sig I suspect isn't massively different but I could imagine Ti tips the balance.

Anyway, think I'll give Andrew a shout and get an M9 sent out for curiosity. Was top of my list before MAX came along so should really give it a spin and see how it does!
Nice! Looking forward to hearing what you think :) certainly worth a demo if you can.

And FWIW, I’ve owned both DX300 Max SS and Ti together at the same time and I don’t personally think they are that different from each other. Ti is a little brighter and airier which gave it a perception of slightly more openness, but it’s not like a night and day difference.

Jan 14, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #456 of 1,352
Nice! Looking forward to hearing what you think :) certainly worth a demo if you can.

And FWIW, I’ve owned both DX300 Max SS and Ti together at the same time and I don’t personally think they are that different from each other. Ti is a little brighter and airier which gave it a perception of slightly more openness, but it’s not like a night and day difference.
Which is why I always take the views of @Damz87 seriously. He speaks from experience of actually owning these DAPs. :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #457 of 1,352
Jan 14, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #459 of 1,352

Should be on the way soon, hopefully manage to get a few hours on it to A/B before heading away with work. Indigo should be broken in by then as well. :) :) :)

Jan 14, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #460 of 1,352
Should be on the way soon, hopefully manage to get a few hours on it to A/B before heading away with work. Indigo should be broken in by then as well. :) :) :)
Wow! M9 and Indigo. That was an outlay! Will look forward very much to your thoughts on this combo. I’ve held off from the M9 but am getting itchy fingers. I went for an LCD-5 at this stage instead as I needed a pair of TOTL Headphones before anything else 🎧

Jan 14, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #461 of 1,352
Yeah, quite curious myself. Don't usually change 2 things at the same time but here we are. I think MAX is superb but it is a rather chunky unit for travelling with and walking around the office. M9 was on the cards before I got MAX so really owe it to myself to try one out! 1 will stay and quietly confident Indigo will be keepers. I'm away a week on Monday so hopefully it arrives with enough time to get a few hours on it before listening!

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #462 of 1,352
I was only demoing it for a really short period of time. I didn't pay much attention to it after encountering a bug and a crash with the player within the first few minutes of using it, and that really sours my expectations on M9. So I doubt I will be going back to it in the near future.
I experience the same problem and it is easy to replicate: 44.1/16 tracks in Tidal are fine, but once I listen to high-res MQA tracks the DAC easily freezes or freaks out with crackling and pops after a couple songs. Once frozen a reboot is needed.

Whats the best place to report this bug? Is Shanling support responsive?

Jan 14, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #463 of 1,352
I experience the same problem and it is easy to replicate: 44.1/16 tracks in Tidal are fine, but once I listen to high-res MQA tracks the DAC easily freezes or freaks out with crackling and pops after a couple songs. Once frozen a reboot is needed.

Strange? I use tidal and haven’t experienced this. Hopefully @Shanling can shed some light.

Jan 14, 2022 at 8:16 PM Post #464 of 1,352

I have been running Tidal on mine and not seeing anything like this.

Can you send me PM with more details?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 15, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #465 of 1,352
For the Singapore HFers: Stocks of the M9 has now arrived in Jaben Singapore. @Uncle Wilson has sent a nice package across. :)

57BC70AF-9135-4938-AEC9-0E61D5B4DEEA.jpeg

1AF542B1-9CD6-4E7E-905A-DB7CF85026FE.jpeg

D2788AA1-372A-461D-997B-4A53F963800F.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back