Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Jan 8, 2022 at 11:46 AM Post #436 of 1,353
Hang in there Kiats. The Watercooler guys will say a special prayer for you.

Jan 8, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #437 of 1,353
Thanks @claud W ! No worries. The LP6Ti 7Th Anniversary edition is keeping me nicely occupied in the meantime. :)

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #438 of 1,353
I think the M9 has the lowest noise floor from any android dap I’ve ever tried. It’s completely silent with Campfire Andromeda’s using the 4.4mm port. I don’t think I’ve ever experienced that before! I’ve been able to detect hiss with Andromeda on every dap I’ve had in the past. The only exception is the Sony DMP-Z1.
Have you tried PHoNIX with the M9 and if so did you detect any hissing?

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #439 of 1,353
anyone compared with AK SP2000? Who wins? thanks.
I’m a massive fan of SP2K (both Cu and SS) but I do feel that M9 is an improvement in terms of sound quality. SP2K has a more forward midrange with very smooth and controlled treble. M9 on the other hand has a more energetic and dynamic sound but is also very refined.

If I were to choose only one between them, I would take M9 over SP2K.

Have you tried PHoNIX with the M9 and if so did you detect any hissing?
Zero hiss :) it’s the only dap I own that doesn’t hiss with Phonix (other than DMP-Z1)

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #440 of 1,353
I’m a massive fan of SP2K (both Cu and SS) but I do feel that M9 is an improvement in terms of sound quality. SP2K has a more forward midrange with very smooth and controlled treble. M9 on the other hand has a more energetic and dynamic sound but is also very refined.

Sounds intriguing. Look forward to the M9 arriving in Singapore and giving it a listen. :)

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #441 of 1,353

Zero hiss :) it’s the only dap I own that doesn’t hiss with Phonix (other than DMP-Z1)
Is funny,besides the punchy bass, the forward organic mids and the smooth but detailed treble is why I love my sp2000cu

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #442 of 1,353
@claud W What are the accessories that come with the M9?

How is the burn in process coming along?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #443 of 1,353
@claud W What are the accessories that come with the M9?

How is the burn in process coming along?
Just the usual accessories, the charging cable and a case was also included. Fancy case . It is on its second week of breakin. Now using Tara Labs Cascade breakin sound file instead of music.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #444 of 1,353
Just the usual accessories, the charging cable and a case was also included. Fancy case . It is on its second week of breakin. Now using Tara Labs Cascade breakin sound file instead of music.
Thanks! I was just wondering cos I recall the box was pretty big. :)

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:08 AM Post #445 of 1,353
Happy possessor of an M9 which in my opinion is a bit better then SP2000
i needed a new Dap and I actually in the end choose between SP2000 ,SP2000t
Fiio M17 and M9

SP2000T in my opinion is a class under all these o 3 daps which are just sounding better , more detail, more every aspect besides it’s lightweight and the 7 different sound signature the T offer but not one of them is good enough !

i really loved M18 which in my opinion has the largest soundstage and with full cans I had the sensation the sound is rounder overall and never lacking detail
truly an awesome player, powerful enough for almost every can!
Nevertheless somehow in the end I thought M9 is betyet sounding overall, fantastic detail, a bigger Soundstage then SP2000 absolutely fabulous balance on all frequencies, silent with my Solaris SE, actually the best pairing for SE I ever listened to just incredible clarity without loosing an more natural sound then analytical, there is warmth and musicality without loosing detail!
In other words just fantastic sound!
Nevertheless there is a small issue that I don’t understand it yet, sometimes at the beginning of a new track listening tidal the sound stops and it doesn’t start unless I restart the player..
could be some setting or maybe something else, I have to look into it.

salute all of you

Jan 11, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #446 of 1,353
Happy possessor of an M9 which in my opinion is a bit better then SP2000
i needed a new Dap and I actually in the end choose between SP2000 ,SP2000t
Fiio M17 and M9

SP2000T in my opinion is a class under all these o 3 daps which are just sounding better , more detail, more every aspect besides it’s lightweight and the 7 different sound signature the T offer but not one of them is good enough !

i really loved M18 which in my opinion has the largest soundstage and with full cans I had the sensation the sound is rounder overall and never lacking detail
truly an awesome player, powerful enough for almost every can!
Nevertheless somehow in the end I thought M9 is betyet sounding overall, fantastic detail, a bigger Soundstage then SP2000 absolutely fabulous balance on all frequencies, silent with my Solaris SE, actually the best pairing for SE I ever listened to just incredible clarity without loosing an more natural sound then analytical, there is warmth and musicality without loosing detail!
In other words just fantastic sound!
Nevertheless there is a small issue that I don’t understand it yet, sometimes at the beginning of a new track listening tidal the sound stops and it doesn’t start unless I restart the player..
could be some setting or maybe something else, I have to look into it.

salute all of you
@The jedi Baritone thank you for your feedback, you mean Fiio M17 right?
Did you test all daps with Solaris SE only?

Jan 11, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #447 of 1,353
I tested all of them with different cans ,but mostly with classical music
i am a musician myself and for me is most important Classical Orchestra’s instruments natural sounding with the detail richness!
Meze Elite which I appreciate but are not my sound signature, a but too dark
LCD4Z the newest and the oldest version
these are my favorite cans, paired with Hugo 2 or SP2k and now Shanling are just perfect for my taste
I tested them with Solaris SE
Vision Ears Phönix
Ext but I didn’t like them that much
i have at home HD800S also
M9 is super silent and just fabulous sounding as I said in my opinion a bit better then SP2K
very close sound signature but bigger soundstage better bass retrieval and much more powerful overall..
actually M9 is close to the power of M17
All 3 Daps are fabulous
M17 is fantastic but M9 is a bit better sounding more musical in a way!
that is what made me choose it, and the fact that there are only 500 made with this AKM chip and one has to hurry if one wants to get one
and on the same time M17 might be a purchase for later as I am sure its number is not limited and on plus might come out with another module maybe even better sounding !
i understand that fiio program is to create other modules for it..
Nevertheless I think you know SP2K sound that’s fabulous
M17 is almost at the same level but different
a bit less musical but a fuller and bigger soundstage
mans for IEMs one really needs to change the gain, I recommend using max medium gain on IEMs they sound better with it

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:36 AM Post #449 of 1,353
@twister6 are Shanling going to be kind enough to send you one to review?

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:55 AM Post #450 of 1,353
I listened to M9 very briefly with VE Phönix. My first impression is that M9 is not as revealing as 300MAX, and the soundstage is not as wide. But it is still really good. Comparing it to SP2k, LPGT will make more sense than 300MAX imo.
Wondering if impressions have changed now that you've had it a little while longer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back