Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Oct 17, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #1,171 of 1,355
I’m surprised this dap hadn’t had more hype. One of the best I’ve heard anyhow
The initial software issues when it launched really took some of the heat out of it.

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #1,172 of 1,355
The initial software issues when it launched really took some of the heat out of it.
Shame really. Having owned it for a few days, I find a dap that sounds fantastic and works with no issues. However I suppose if my first impressions were of a player with loads of glitches then I’d think differently now

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,173 of 1,355
Shame really. Having owned it for a few days, I find a dap that sounds fantastic and works with no issues. However I suppose if my first impressions were of a player with loads of glitches then I’d think differently now
It's one of the best if not the best. Also there are only 500 in the world. There is just a very limited number of people talking about it. I'm interested in trying N8ii to compare. I just got DX320 to compare. Both M9 and N8ii are pretty bulky, so a slimmer profile DAP is welcome.

Oct 17, 2022 at 6:22 PM Post #1,174 of 1,355
I’m surprised this dap hadn’t had more hype. One of the best I’ve heard anyhow

Every new flagship dap release goes through its initial hype cycle until... another flagship dap is released by somebody else. It's just the way things are. And as you probably know, sometimes it has nothing to do with a DAP itself, people just curious about the latest and the greatest and want to try the next new release. Also, based on talking to many of my readers, hardly anybody keeps a dap for a long time now, even when we are talking about kilobuck daps.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #1,175 of 1,355
Well, frankly, the M9 did well. I think perhaps people are thinking about the M8. That, I recall, provoked much angst. The M9 was pretty stable from the word go. I think @Shanling and team benefited from the lessons from the launch of the M8.

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,176 of 1,355
Every new flagship dap release goes through its initial hype cycle until... another flagship dap is released by somebody else. It's just the way things are. And as you probably know, sometimes it has nothing to do with a DAP itself, people just curious about the latest and the greatest and want to try the next new release. Also, based on talking to many of my readers, hardly anybody keeps a dap for a long time now, even when we are talking about kilobuck daps.
That be true. In any event, as @gordec rightly pointed out, the M9 has limited production of only 500. So, not surprised it is not as often mentioned. But it does not detract from the fact it is a great DAP. Even the M8, which had many detractors during its early life, is much loved for its sound quality and signature now that the kinks have been mostly ironed out.

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #1,177 of 1,355
Well, frankly, the M9 did well. I think perhaps people are thinking about the M8. That, I recall, provoked much angst. The M9 was pretty stable from the word go. I think @Shanling and team benefited from the lessons from the launch of the M8.
The initial firmware it shipped with was close to unusable. I had to factory reset mine several times. That was quickly updated to a more stable version but it took a few more versions then to get Tidal working properly/ without workarounds. It was rock solid after the updates but in that time Cayin launched the N8ii and people's focus shifted. Even when there were 500 available at launch, this thread was never exactly booming so I'm not sure it being a limited run had much to do with the lack of hype. It seemed more about nervousness to jump due to the perceived software issues.

I think M9 is getting more appreciation now for its sound quality as more become available in the classifieds at reasonable prices.

Oct 17, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #1,178 of 1,355
The initial firmware it shipped with was close to unusable. I had to factory reset mine several times. That was quickly updated to a more stable version but it took a few more versions then to get Tidal working properly/ without workarounds. It was rock solid after the updates but in that time Cayin launched the N8ii and people's focus shifted. Even when there were 500 available at launch, this thread was never exactly booming so I'm not sure it being a limited run had much to do with the lack of hype. It seemed more about nervousness to jump due to the perceived software issues.

I think M9 is getting more appreciation now for its sound quality as more become available in the classifieds at reasonable prices.
Interesting. Because I did not have much issues with the M9 upon launch. :)

Oct 22, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #1,179 of 1,355
Has anyone heard anything about a new/updated M9 case from Shanling? I thought I read somewhere WAY back in the thread that a new, more functional protective case was in the works.

I have considered getting one of the custom leather options on Etsy but the styling doesn’t do a lot for me, and the OEM “leather accent bumper” is really only a “case”in the sense that it goes on the outside of the M9–a bunch of rhinestone bedazzler jewels along the edges would probably offer comparable protection. I’ve got a smoke TPU case but I sure would love a classy-looking case that was functional as well as eye-catching (no offense to those of you who dig the M-shaped cutouts on Shanling’s current offering).

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #1,180 of 1,355
Has anyone heard anything about a new/updated M9 case from Shanling? I thought I read somewhere WAY back in the thread that a new, more functional protective case was in the works.

I have considered getting one of the custom leather options on Etsy but the styling doesn’t do a lot for me, and the OEM “leather accent bumper” is really only a “case”in the sense that it goes on the outside of the M9–a bunch of rhinestone bedazzler jewels along the edges would probably offer comparable protection. I’ve got a smoke TPU case but I sure would love a classy-looking case that was functional as well as eye-catching (no offense to those of you who dig the M-shaped cutouts on Shanling’s current offering).
Yes I remember that being mentioned. Let's ask @Shanling. I have and like the smoke TPU case, but always interested in alternatives.

Oct 22, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,181 of 1,355
Yeah I'd love a decent case too - a shame the likes of Dignis didn't come up with something.

Listening to KR5 with M9 this afternoon, very good synergy.

20221022_163120.jpg

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:54 PM Post #1,182 of 1,355
Yes I remember that being mentioned. Let's ask @Shanling. I have and like the smoke TPU case, but always interested in alternatives.
Nothing for now. It was originally planned to be coming out alongside the regular version of M9.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 24, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #1,183 of 1,355
Nothing for now. It was originally planned to be coming out alongside the regular version of M9.
Thanks. And the latter is no longer happening?

Oct 24, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,184 of 1,355
Hello, I am a newbie on M9, paring with IE900.
I found a few posts here that Qobuz works on M9, but I can't install the app.
Actually although Google play says it's already installed on this device,I can't find icon on the M9 screen,
and the apps list in the setting doesn't show that existence of it.
It might be my poor understanding of Android, since my all other devices are iOS.
Can you advise me how to fix the issue?

Thank you!

Oct 24, 2022 at 8:50 PM Post #1,185 of 1,355
Hello, I am a newbie on M9, paring with IE900.
I found a few posts here that Qobuz works on M9, but I can't install the app.
Actually although Google play says it's already installed on this device,I can't find icon on the M9 screen,
and the apps list in the setting doesn't show that existence of it.
It might be my poor understanding of Android, since my all other devices are iOS.
Can you advise me how to fix the issue?

Thank you!
Just to be sure, are you actually checking it in the Play Store app? Or just in Via internet browser (Quite common mistake).
Can you try to install it using APKPure?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back