Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Jan 21, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #556 of 1,355
This is strange, we give leather case with each unit of M9. It just comes in small box on the side.

I would recommend to contact your seller about this.

For any questions about settings, please check the setup guide on our website: https://en.shanling.com/article-Android665Setup.html
(And let me know what should I add)

The seller knew it further dissipates heat without it, so they did him a favor by not including one.

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #557 of 1,355
This is strange, we give leather case with each unit of M9. It just comes in small box on the side.
I would recommend to contact your seller about this.
Thanks, I dropped them a message to ask for the case.
Not sure this will work, their website doesn't mention the case in the accessories, it's in french but you can see they only mention the plugs and usb cable (link to the page included in image). They don't even sell it separately, which could have been a move...

Shanling M9  Baladeurs audiophiles sur EasyLounge 2022-01-22 03-27-47.png

If they don't have it for some reason where can I find one?
Nobody seems to be carrying it at the time...
Although I don't use DAPs on the go but only at home, this is a big issue for me I am kind of a maniac with gear...

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #558 of 1,355
Thanks, I dropped them a message to ask for the case.
Not sure this will work, their website doesn't mention the case in the accessories, it's in french but you can see they only mention the plugs and usb cable (link to the page included in image). They don't even sell it separately, which could have been a move...

If they don't have it for some reason where can I find one?
Nobody seems to be carrying it at the time...
Although I don't use DAPs on the go but only at home, this is a big issue for me I am kind of a maniac with gear...

At this time we do not sell it separately, as each customer should receive it alongside their M9.
Son-Video is our distributor in France, so maybe emailing them directly might help. I'm not sure what's exact connection between them and your seller.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 21, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #559 of 1,355
At this time we do not sell it separately, as each customer should receive it alongside their M9.
Son-Video is our distributor in France, so maybe emailing them directly might help. I'm not sure what's exact connection between them and your seller.
It's the same company in fact it's a spin off. So much so that when the package ships it's under Son Vidéo name.
I am a long standing customer of theirs... EasyLounge is only a secondary website where they make discounts.
I sent them a message. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 10:17 PM Post #560 of 1,355
So I'll drop the case post now...

I spent some quality time with M9 and I must say I love this DAP, it "beautifies" things so it's not reference to me but that's not what I am looking for anyway... this is a much more refined beast than M8... there is more midrange emphasis and it's a good thing it's a smooth, nuanced and picturesque midrange for sure! It feels less wow in the bass section than M8 but M8 was so muscular and fun that way, with its massive bass. Not that M9 lacks bass but it's a more faithful take on M8 bass dropping wow in favor of a more accurate yet fun and powerful bass still. Up top I like that there is more energy in the lower treble than M8 and the upper section is just as refined as M8 but with more presence providing a more open presentation. A very very nice balance there.

Compared to M17, M9 is Aikido it's fluid, flows effortlessly where M17 is Kung Fu it punches hard and fast with quick pace.

Jan 22, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #561 of 1,355
Some more impressions...I have clocked quite a few hours now, sleep deprived but happy :p

M9 really has superb layering, it's richer articulate layers of nuances than any DAP I have heard.
This adds something special to imaging which is pretty great to begin with, it's like you have more spatial cues and more precise and minute.
It makes things more holographic in my opinion and richly textured too.
Also it makes listening to complex stuff much easier and less fatiguing.
This is part of the effortless nature of M9.

Another thing, micro dynamics and low level details are really special, this was something I loved about WM1Z when I owned it... I remember saying M8 was the spirit child of WM1Z on bass but M9 has this special quality of 1Z even further and with a more balanced midrange (and of course so much more amp power...).

This one is a keeper and strong contender among the top dogs for sure...

Ah and this DAP has a soul like no other... it's really stunning that way there is something highly engaging to M9

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #562 of 1,355
Some Friday evening listening off the M9 with FitEar MH335DWSR paired with Eletech Plato8. :)

Hi @Kiats,

My M9 with Fitear C435 with 4.4mm Silver Dragon cable.
The case was in the parcel, bought at HiFiGo.

Davy from UAPP team is looking at configuring the HiRes Audio Direct Driver for M9. Will see.

About Shanling Music App, @davidmolliere , I have problems with tags recognition in Flac files from Qobuz when they are stored on the M9 memory or SDcard. Albums or Artists Unknown and tracks in an album not all displayed in the list.
Perhaps accentuated characters problem ? (à ï ÿ for ex)

Claude.

E182823C-ECFA-498C-AEC0-1DD910BD711C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #563 of 1,355
Hi @Kiats,

My M9 with Fitear C435 with 4.4mm Silver Dragon cable.
The case was in the parcel, bought at HiFiGo.

Davy from UAPP team is looking at configuring the HiRes Audio Direct Driver for M9. Will see.

About Shanling Music App, @davidmolliere , I have problems with tags recognition in Flac files from Qobuz when they are stored on the M9 memory or SDcard. Albums or Artists Unknown and tracks in an album not all displayed in the list.
Perhaps accentuated characters problem ?

Claude.

E182823C-ECFA-498C-AEC0-1DD910BD711C.jpeg
@cladane , that’s a gorgeous combination! I am sure many people will be shedding tears of envy. Now that the C435 has been discontinued. Not tried the C435 with the M9 yet. How’s the synergy?

Jan 22, 2022 at 8:46 AM Post #564 of 1,355
Some more impressions...I have clocked quite a few hours now, sleep deprived but happy :p

M9 really has superb layering, it's richer articulate layers of nuances than any DAP I have heard.
This adds something special to imaging which is pretty great to begin with, it's like you have more spatial cues and more precise and minute.

Another thing, micro dynamics and low level details are really special, this was something I loved about WM1Z when I owned it... I remember saying M8 was the spirit child of WM1Z on bass but M9 has this special quality of 1Z even further and with a more balanced midrange (and of course so much more amp power...).

Ah and this DAP has a soul like no other... it's really stunning that way there is something highly engaging to M9
Seconded.

Jan 22, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #565 of 1,355

Couldn’t agree more, M9 sounds very holographic and yes the low-level detail retrieval is amazing. It makes M9 sound very engaging and dynamic, especially with its musical tone. Glad you’re hearing it the same way! :)

Jan 22, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #566 of 1,355
Couldn’t agree more, M9 sounds very holographic and yes the low-level detail retrieval is amazing. It makes M9 sound very engaging and dynamic, especially with its musical tone. Glad you’re hearing it the same way! :)
Well it's your post and @aaf evo that tipped my decision to get M9, I trust both your judgment :wink:

To add a bit more about my impressions, M9 features beautiful overtones there is a bias to even harmonics that make it so enticing...

I am also going through pairing and M9 does something special with some IEMs in an unexpected way.
Penon Volt is more open sounding and transparent and not like a little more... a LOT more... no other DAP does this with Volt and I have had quite a few with Volt N6ii Ti/R01, DX300 with both amps, Hiby RS6, M8 and now FiiO M17. Volt is smooth and relaxed and refined, but it doesn't have the bite, energy, transparency and open sounding character that the M9 adds... this is quite amazing.

On the flipside the Elysium pairing doesn't go in the same direction, M9 makes it warmer and gentler sounding (not more energetic luckily for my taste), this is almost eerie... In that sense I don't see M9 as a transparent source but it's for the better there is some kind of magic to it or it's my brain playing tricks... pairing can go unexpected ways. From that standpoint it's a tricky source to write reviews with as it literally transforms an IEM like Volt into something it's not with a bunch of other sources.

I look forward to going through my collection :)

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #567 of 1,355
Enjoying the M9 on a Sunday with Sandy Lam :)

508DE3BC-0EB8-4875-9346-DEAC8C8150AB.jpeg

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #569 of 1,355
Big thanks to @cladane who inspired me to pull out the FitEar C435 (paired with Toxic Cables Golden Poison). Excellent with the M9. The C435 is still so pristine and pure after all these years. :)

7641B4A8-03AE-4A18-A197-31F35516D4B0.jpeg

Jan 23, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #570 of 1,355
Anyone have issues with their M9 where in the middle of listening, you hear a static and the device abruptly goes silent? When this happens, I have to restart the device to get it to work again. It's frustrating and it happens roughly 2-3 times a day. It usually happens on Tidal app, and once I lose sound, it doesn't matter what music/player app i open after that. I lose sound completely until system reset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back