Shanling M9 Announced - Flagship High-End Portable Player
Jan 20, 2022 at 2:45 AM Post #526 of 1,355
@KPzypher Thanks for sharing first impressions.

UAPP normally takes a bit time before they release fully compatible app for new DAPs, at least we saw that with our previous models.

Will report to software team issue with Roon playback.

And yes, our default player is far from ideal...

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #527 of 1,355

UAPP normally takes a bit time before they release fully compatible app for new DAPs, at least we saw that with our previous models.

Figured that's what it was with UAPP. I'm using Hiby player in the mean time. Not my favorite, but it gets the job done. Thanks.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #528 of 1,355

Hello @Shanling,

I joined UAPP team (eXtream Software Development) about their app and M9 and they wanted to know if the M9 features an official Play Store ?

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 3:07 PM Post #529 of 1,355
Not sure how I feel about this DAP yet.
20220119_211905.jpg

I was very excited to receive the package in the evening, after a slight delay. Began with a firmware update which took quite a bit of time. Smooth sailing so far with no issues. Packaging is pretty basic IMO considering the price of admission, except for the nice wooden case. The leather case on the other hand is crap. If you look at the picture above, the screen protrudes quite a bit above the casing, so if you drop this $2800 DAP, that's it. And both sides are wide open, so you're always holding it, bare metal. likely to see some wear over time. 6" 2K LCD screen is awesome and perfect size for my use case (streaming, roon, etc.), and the secondary screen which i'd initially thought gimmicky, turned out to be unobtrusive in 'reverse' mode and useful to easily set consistent volume level. And boy, this thing is snappy with zero lag. And no issues with wifi performance.
20220119_211746.jpg
20220119_212417.jpg
Now, minor annoyances and some frustration.................

There's no swiping up from the home screen to get to the app drawer. so all icons just reside in home screen, albeit you can create multiple pages to hide it. Maybe it's just me, but this bothered me quite a bit. And no icon sorting by name. And you can only have four icons in the bottom icon bar (Hiby does 5 in a much smaller screen). The gesture navigation didn't work too well either. In general, Hiby and Cayin's SW felt more polished. M9 gets quite warm when playing music.

I couldn't get UAPP to work in bit-perfect mode. It only worked thru Android. I also couldn't get Roon to work. And I'm not talking about Android downsampling. I just didn't get any playback in Roon. It would just continuously skip to the next track without sound. Never had this issue with other DAPs in the past. It's a real bummer for me, as I mainly use those two apps and love the UI. The biggest problem for me was the lack of sound after a long screen off/idle time. On three separate occasions (mind you this was all within the first 5 hours of receiving the unit), I lost sound completely regardless of which player I used (UAPP, HIBY, Shanling, Tidal) and had to reboot the system as a remedy. And Shanling, I'm sorry to say this but your music player app is atrocious. Terrible UI. And no sorting by album artists?
20220119_212532.jpg

But then, the sound. I really really like how it sounds.

I've only had it for a few hours, and I would usually say, there's not a huge difference between various DAPs in terms of sound quality, but compared to the Hiby R6 2020, it's noticeably less harsh in the treble and more weight across the frequencies with good resolution. Music just sounded more natural in general.

To sum the initial impression, it's a flagship with killer hardware specs and a flagship sound, but with some quirks, mediocre UI, and an unpolished software. But that sound, I cannot fault.

Not yet sure if I want to keep this unit. I feel like even with it's glorious sound, Hiby R6 2020 is the sweet spot considering its practicality (size, weight, SW stability, UI, etc.) and dollar to performance ratio.

More to follow.
Maybe you can activate the "Android-Delveloper" Mode in the settings. I did this with the iBasso DX300 and was able to swipe up from the homescreen and got the app drawer...You can try it..regards Tom

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #530 of 1,355
Maybe you can activate the "Android-Delveloper" Mode in the settings. I did this with the iBasso DX300 and was able to swipe up from the homescreen and got the app drawer...You can try it..regards Tom

Thanks Tom!

I didn't see an option to do that but I did change the "smallest width" to put an extra icon in the bottom app bar.
20220120_155402.jpg

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #531 of 1,355
Thanks Tom!

I didn't see an option to do that but I did change the "smallest width" to put an extra icon in the bottom app bar.
20220120_155402.jpg
Can't you use an app like Nova launcher to define your own icon size/grid?

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #532 of 1,355

Yes, you can. There are also a few Pixel based launchers such as Pixel Launcher, Shade Launcher and Ruthless Launcher. They are similar and light-weight. I use the Shade Launcher myself.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #533 of 1,355
I use Niagara Launcher with all my DAPs and it's a really nice experience. I just don't use it with my Pixel because gestures doesn't work properly.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #534 of 1,355

Yep but adjusting "minimum width doesn't just affect icon size. The default "360dp" on this screen is too low IMO. Everything is blown up too much where lot of the song titles are infinitely scrolling in Tidal and other apps. I have it set to 420dp, and I think it's perfect. Plus, not trying to turn this into a phone. All i need are four apps, Roon/Tidal/UAPP/Spotify.

Back to sound, this DAP is a beast. I'm now a firm believer that DAPs do matter.
DAPs never evoked emotion before, even when I had the LPGT or the AK SP1000. It was just a tool. And this thing is a perfect match with the Sony M9, not only in name🙃, but also provide perfect synergy. It's also dead quiet. Zero noise to include EMI/RFI. I'm definitely keeping this.

Now, few more sw updates for a stable platform, UAPP update, and a nice third party case where i'd feel safe enough to hold it in my hand or pocket when out and about, this will be a perfect DAP for me.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2022 at 9:00 PM Post #535 of 1,355
Hello @Shanling,

I joined UAPP team (eXtream Software Development) about their app and M9 and they wanted to know if the M9 features an official Play Store ?

From firmware V1.4 there is GMS and Play Store in M9.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 21, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #536 of 1,355
Hi,
For those who have a SP2000 and a M9 would it be possible to have some pictures side by side to see the size/thickness difference please ?
Thanks!
I saw @Kiats has already posted some but here’s a couple more :)
0CB5F33C-C154-410E-B06D-BBE4BF43DA9C.jpeg
66AB83ED-6C70-43B0-87A3-11C9822DB65B.jpeg
B4E26749-65DA-489A-86EF-012498884BE5.jpeg
52AD76D1-1E32-470D-A2F1-0ABE1C9A627F.jpeg
76B7596B-F610-4730-8E0B-3EAA4377956C.jpeg
B312478A-B846-43D6-8E8E-1ECA87F39EEC.jpeg

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:53 AM Post #537 of 1,355
It is a great DAP. You know it’s a Shanling by the tuning. Wonderful synergy with my FitEar customs. And the UM Fusang and Mest2 customs. Bliss… And the bass… :)

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #538 of 1,355
Just got mine... the fact that there is no case for a product at this price level especially this is a bad suprise and a shocker @Shanling
I got M8 from musicteck so M8 came with it but this time around M9 from a local reseller and it wasn't bundled with...

Now the question is where can I find a case?

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #540 of 1,355
Some Friday evening listening off the M9 with FitEar MH335DWSR paired with Eletech Plato8. :)

2B48B6E6-A418-4E9F-BC2D-014FDCFB7439.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back