Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 8, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #2,327 of 5,808
I had to request new ones as the ones in the box were dried up. Musictek sent out 4 new ones for me.

The way I found to install them correctly without bubbles was to peel of all the backing so it was just the TPU exposed and then spray the TPU with some water before installing it on the screen. I then used the squeegee applicator to apply the TPU on the screen which also pushed out the water spray.

This way allowed me to move around and position the protective TPU on the screen correctly and removed the bubbles.
But if you spray water will it still stick on the screen?

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #2,328 of 5,808
@Shanling

Is it possible to add a find option in shanling music player for the next update?

Thank you
There is search function already in our app. The search icon on top in the menu.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #2,330 of 5,808
Okay. I am interested in hiby r8 and this m8. However, since upgrading this m8 to a faster speed Android is not in the works, this Dap is dead. The apps for tidal, Spotify, deeper, and other apps would not be updated by Google play store.. So! What is the use of getting the M8 when the day is going to be useless with no upgrades in the future? Just want to know before I buy!

Is it even worth spending this money for only one year of use?

The company even says the upgrade is dead.

Hummmmm?

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #2,331 of 5,808
Okay. I am interested in hiby r8 and this m8. However, since upgrading this m8 to a faster speed Android is not in the works, this Dap is dead. The apps for tidal, Spotify, deeper, and other apps would not be updated by Google play store.. So! What is the use of getting the M8 when the day is going to be useless with no upgrades in the future? Just want to know before I buy!

Is it even worth spending this money for only one year of use?

The company even says the upgrade is dead.

Hummmmm?
To me, the life spans of DAPs is at most 2 years (battery degradation, new DAPs keep emerging, etc.). So I don't worry much about the longevity of DAPs. As long as it works now, it's ok for me. YMMV

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #2,332 of 5,808
To me, the life spans of DAPs is at most 2 years (battery degradation, new DAPs keep emerging, etc.). So I don't worry much about the longevity of DAPs. As long as it works now, it's ok for me. YMMV
Agreed! Given how powerful the modern DAPs are and it battery juices. About 2 years is a good time frame, except the Walkman NW-WM1A/Z, but they have no android and also pretty slow as well

Mar 9, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #2,333 of 5,808
Thanks for the information.

@Shanling Could you also let us know what the output power is when running the DAP in Line Out to an external AMP?

Are all interconnect options (2.5 BAL/3.5 SE /4.4 BAL/ 3.5 PRO) forced to the same output specs when in Line Out because I cannot see any specs on the website.

Thanks

Hi @Shanling

Would you happen to know or be able to find out the following information please.

What is the output power from the DAP when running the DAP in Line Out mode to an external AMP?

Are all the output modules (2.5 BAL /3.5 SE /4.4 BAL / 3.5 PRO) forced to the same output power or are they different output power ratings per different module when running Line out mode and if so what are the output power ratings per module when running in Line Out mode?

I cannot see any specs for Line out mode on the website.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #2,334 of 5,808
It could be thought in that way. I guess it's difficult as I am still deciding from r8 with android 9 and m8 with Android 7. It's difficult to decide.

Mar 9, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #2,336 of 5,808
Hi @Shanling

Would you happen to know or be able to find out the following information please.

What is the output power from the DAP when running the DAP in Line Out mode to an external AMP?

Are all the output modules (2.5 BAL /3.5 SE /4.4 BAL / 3.5 PRO) forced to the same output power or are they different output power ratings per different module when running Line out mode and if so what are the output power ratings per module when running in Line Out mode?

I cannot see any specs for Line out mode on the website.
Should be around 2.6V for single ended output and close to 5V with balanced connectors.

Please make sure that you are running balanced output only to amplifier with balanced input! And maybe even consult amp manufacturer how is it with their demands on grounding.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 9, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #2,337 of 5,808
Has anyone compared the SQ of the M8 vs Hugo2 + 2Go?

Considering that maybe I could go down Hugo2 + 2Go route, use my iPhone 12 as the screen/apps and not have to worry about lack of software upgrades in future...

EDIT: Though now I'm wondering if Hugo2 + 2Go would have the power to drive my Aryas

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #2,338 of 5,808
Wondered if anyone is getting clicks when changing tracks in tidal masters? I get about 3/4 clicks when the bit rate changes and it misses out about 4 seconds of the songs. I’m also getting one click when changing tracks on other apps at lower bit rates but it doesn’t miss out any of the song.

Any word when offline Qobuz will be fixed?

Mar 9, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #2,339 of 5,808
In M8 its a little more expansive in the sound in the mid high area and gives an impression of having more air and room, more expansive sound.
I dont know maybe once sp2k cu go threw the burn in it will change? As we are comparing here a 450hours device and 1hour device in life
You wrote that in february 12th.
I know you said, that sp2k is better than M8, but may I ask, if you would see details differently now, that the M8 is burned in?
The sp2k is the only player, that I imagine (at the moment) might still be a real competition to the M8 (I know, there ist Wm1z too :wink:). Unluckily I cannot just listen to it anywhere. Therefor I would have to buy it.
So I would appreciate a little update. My focus is not completely but more on musicality, fun, flow etc. than on bass, mids, treble, soundstage, detail etc.

(I cannot stop it. It just has to be the best DAP in the world ... :frowning2:)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,340 of 5,808
I put the Hiby player on my M8 and it dealt with 1tb, 22k tracks no problem and no drama.
After repeated crashes of the Shanling player I also tried Hiby player (thanks btw!)
First it worked well and scanned the collection pretty fast. Sound was fine by me, too. But after an update of music and rescan it started to crash. The crashes reminded me of the Shanling app. Just stopped working and Android put the message like "<app> stopped working. Do you want to restart?".
After some "empty database", "reinstall app", "restart M8" etc. I found out that the actual problem seems to be a lack of internal storage. I guessed by checking in the settings/memory. A message from the app like "out of memory" or so would have helped, but ok ...
The album data database has to be stored somewhere of course. So if you put a lot of music in the internal storage and have a big collection on the SD card, the players seem to need quite some storage. After deleting 20% of the music stored internally, Hiby did the update again without problems ... and so did the Shanling app.
Since nobody here so far mentioned "potenial lack of internal storage space" so far, I would like to let you know.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back