Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 9, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #2,356 of 5,808
I experienced this is exact same issue and was unable to resolve it. It even happened w/ the stock Qobuz/Tidal apps but less frequently than w/ UAPP. See my older posts below. In the end I had to send the player back.
I'm strangely glad that I'm not the only one, might suggest it could just be an issue with software, unless the defect rate for these is just that high. @Shanling any thoughts here? I've been using the unit for about a week and experienced this almost 24 hours in after buying it new. It's merely an annoyance for now but for the cost of the device I would hope that usability and stability is valued highly for this product.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #2,357 of 5,808
I'm strangely glad that I'm not the only one, might suggest it could just be an issue with software, unless the defect rate for these is just that high. @Shanling any thoughts here? I've been using the unit for about a week and experienced this almost 24 hours in after buying it new. It's merely an annoyance for now but for the cost of the device I would hope that usability and stability is valued highly for this product.

I think the fact that it only seems to be happening with some apps and not all is a good sign it's a software issue.

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #2,359 of 5,808
I experienced this is exact same issue and was unable to resolve it. It even happened w/ the stock Qobuz/Tidal apps but less frequently than w/ UAPP. See my older posts below. In the end I had to send the player back.

Did you get a replacement and did it fix it?

Mar 9, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #2,360 of 5,808

If other apps works, maybe firstly try to reach out to UAPP. I think their app is not fully set up for use on M8 yet.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #2,361 of 5,808
If other apps works, maybe firstly try to reach out to UAPP. I think their app is not fully set up for use on M8 yet.
According to @tret it's happening in other music apps as well.

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #2,362 of 5,808
I had to request new ones as the ones in the box were dried up. Musictek sent out 4 new ones for me.

The way I found to install them correctly without bubbles was to peel of all the backing so it was just the TPU exposed and then spray the TPU with some water before installing it on the screen. I then used the squeegee applicator to apply the TPU on the screen which also pushed out the water spray.

This way allowed me to move around and position the protective TPU on the screen correctly and removed the bubbles.
What are you a genius or something?

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #2,363 of 5,808
Mar 9, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #2,364 of 5,808
I opted not to take a replacement. Despite the excellent sound (some of the best I've heard) I decided to look elsewhere.

Thanks, sorry to hear. I probably need to get in touch with Andrew since I randomly get large static or no volume adjustment when waking up from sleep...

Mar 9, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #2,366 of 5,808
Definitely a good idea. Andrew is great and from my experience over ~3-4 weeks the static issue never got any better.

I know, I've had this since December... I was hoping there would be a firmware update that would fix it...

Mar 9, 2021 at 11:16 PM Post #2,367 of 5,808
Thanks, sorry to hear. I probably need to get in touch with Andrew since I randomly get large static or no volume adjustment when waking up from sleep...
I actually just experienced this today. I had tried Prime Mode for the first time then switched back so I figured the switch wasn't entirely clean so I rebooted the device.

None of these issues have really been a deal breaker for me so far. I'm actually loving the device for its sound and general flexibility being an android device. I bought this in anticipation for an upcoming trip but have been using this over my desktop rig since I got it.

I'll roll with the punches for now at least until the warranty expires and hope that a firmware update solves a lot of these problems.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:06 AM Post #2,368 of 5,808
Has anyone compared the SQ of the M8 vs Hugo2 + 2Go?

Considering that maybe I could go down Hugo2 + 2Go route, use my iPhone 12 as the screen/apps and not have to worry about lack of software upgrades in future...

EDIT: Though now I'm wondering if Hugo2 + 2Go would have the power to drive my Aryas
I don't have the 2Go, but I prefer the M8 to the Hugo as an amp.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #2,369 of 5,808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back