Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jul 24, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #4,231 of 5,808
Chaps, maybe an unorthodox question, but does anyone know/use a desktop size DAC (with AK4499EQ chipset) which is similar in signature to M8?

I know M30 would be a logical step but I am hesitant as I wanted a clean XMOS solution independent of aging DAP hardware /OS.

My first R2R attempt in that direction just failed - I still prefer listening to M8 either connected to C9 for my IEMs or currently Flux FA-10 for my Denon AH-D9200 even though I know it's double amping - it just sounds smooth, liquid, musical and I couldn't find that experience anywhere else so far...

External amping on Shanling M8 is bringing air between the notes and extends stage for my relatively easy to drive gear, more forward sound and a tad less warmth in comparison to more intimate and more bassy presentation on M8 alone.
Guess higher Ohms gear like HD800S or Susvara will definitely profit even more

Just some examples (haven't heard any of them...):
- Gustard A22
- SMSL M400
Sony TA-ZH1ES has a similar sound signature to M8 imho. However it doesn’t use AK4499. Instead it uses Sony’s proprietary S-Master HX.

Jul 24, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #4,232 of 5,808
Chaps, maybe an unorthodox question, but does anyone know/use a desktop size DAC (with AK4499EQ chipset) which is similar in signature to M8?

I know M30 would be a logical step but I am hesitant as I wanted a clean XMOS solution independent of aging DAP hardware /OS.

My first R2R attempt in that direction just failed - I still prefer listening to M8 either connected to C9 for my IEMs or currently Flux FA-10 for my Denon AH-D9200 even though I know it's double amping - it just sounds smooth, liquid, musical and I couldn't find that experience anywhere else so far...

External amping on Shanling M8 is bringing air between the notes and extends stage for my relatively easy to drive gear, more forward sound and a tad less warmth in comparison to more intimate and more bassy presentation on M8 alone.
Guess higher Ohms gear like HD800S or Susvara will definitely profit even more

Just some examples (haven't heard any of them...):
- Gustard A22
- SMSL M400
Which R2R DAC did you try? I have just started using the Denafrips Ares II DAC and I am very happy with the analogue/organic sonic character. It is only slightly bigger than my M1 Mac Mini. But nice heft at 3.5 kg. At the RRP of around US$770, it is good value.

With regards to the M30, I am actually using it, among other things as a desktop DAC with USB input directly from my M1 Mac Mini. I think the OS only impacts if you are concerned about the streaming apps. But insofar as normal play from your own collection or as USB/coaxial input and then output via RCA/XLR to your desktop amps, that should not matter. I do enjoy the 3 sound signatures on the M30 (for listening out of the built amp): bypass, SS and tube.

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #4,233 of 5,808
Which R2R DAC did you try? I have just started using the Denafrips Ares II DAC and I am very happy with the analogue/organic sonic character. It is only slightly bigger than my M1 Mac Mini. But nice heft at 3.5 kg. At the RRP of around US$770, it is good value.

With regards to the M30, I am actually using it, among other things as a desktop DAC with USB input directly from my M1 Mac Mini. I think the OS only impacts if you are concerned about the streaming apps. But insofar as normal play from your own collection or as USB/coaxial input and then output via RCA/XLR to your desktop amps, that should not matter. I do enjoy the 3 sound signatures on the M30 (for listening out of the built amp): bypass, SS and tube.
Hi pal,
Thx for your feedback.
See my signature: Pontus II which should be the next update to your Ares II - but have to say Ares II would have been maybe the better choice to try for the money and potentially it sounds more to my liking, I can't know.
I don't know if I have a defective unit or our hearing is so different but I am not hearing lush and organic but bright and reveiling like DX 220 Max but even more resolving and into your face with striking upper mids and without the KickBass of Max.
If that is called natural then I prefer musical 😉
I might have developed a certain sensivity for certain frequencies but in general I have to say after all that hype about R2R I am a bit disappointed for MY taste.
I tried like 4 different amps and couldn't get enough mitigation for that effect after 3,5 weeks of burn in.
Regarding M30 I am honestly hesitating as I am streaming alot and don't want to make myself dependant on aging OS, hardware (and bugs) for that price.
Better some dedicated DAC, AMP, Streamer which I can replace and sell later separately.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #4,234 of 5,808
Hi pal,
Thx for your feedback.
See my signature: Pontus II which should be the next update to your Ares II - but have to say Ares II would have been maybe the better choice to try for the money and potentially it sounds more to my liking, I can't know.
I don't know if I have a defective unit or our hearing is so different but I am not hearing lush and organic but bright and reveiling like DX 220 Max but even more resolving and into your face with striking upper mids and without the KickBass of Max.
If that is called natural then I prefer musical 😉
I might have developed a certain sensivity for certain frequencies but in general I have to say after all that hype about R2R I am a bit disappointed for MY taste.
I tried like 4 different amps and couldn't get enough mitigation for that effect after 3,5 weeks of burn in.
Regarding M30 I am honestly hesitating as I am streaming alot and don't want to make myself dependant on aging OS, hardware (and bugs) for that price.
Better some dedicated DAC, AMP, Streamer which I can replace and sell later separately.
Ah… sorry. I use the iphone or ipad version of head-fi and so I don’t get to see your signature. I am surprised cos the complaints are usually in the opposite respect. Heheh! Are you running it on NOS or OS but slow filter? The default setting from the factory is OS fast which I have heard not so nice things about. I am running mine on NOS.

I am surprised because I am slowly but very surely moving even further away from bright and revealing signatures. Too fatiguing. I don’t want to hear my gear; I want to relax with the music…

Understand. I actually also use the M30 with my DAPs/iDevices as a digital transport into M30 either through USB or coaxial. For streaming, I see Blusound Node appear very often. Not costly. But doesn’t make sense for me cos I use M1 Mac Mini and Roon for most of my streaming. Or the Mac Mini running desktop versions of QQ Music and Apple Music. So I have 3 DACs/systems running out of my Mac Mini.

Good luck on your quest! :) I will say that the only good thing about the current situation is that I have had plenty of time to explore and also to rethink my set up now that I am not traveling all the time for work.

Jul 25, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #4,235 of 5,808
Ah… sorry. I use the iphone or ipad version of head-fi and so I don’t get to see your signature. I am surprised cos the complaints are usually in the opposite respect. Heheh! Are you running it on NOS or OS but slow filter? The default setting from the factory is OS fast which I have heard not so nice things about. I am running mine on NOS.

I am surprised because I am slowly but very surely moving even further away from bright and revealing signatures. Too fatiguing. I don’t want to hear my gear; I want to relax with the music…

Understand. I actually also use the M30 with my DAPs/iDevices as a digital transport into M30 either through USB or coaxial. For streaming, I see Blusound Node appear very often. Not costly. But doesn’t make sense for me cos I use M1 Mac Mini and Roon for most of my streaming. Or the Mac Mini running desktop versions of QQ Music and Apple Music. So I have 3 DACs/systems running out of my Mac Mini.

Good luck on your quest! :) I will say that the only good thing about the current situation is that I have had plenty of time to explore and also to rethink my set up now that I am not traveling all the time for work.
Thx for your wishes.
Of course I have tried all filters yet.
Running RCA instead of balanced and NOS together made it better but as mentioned M8 wins for me for the very reason you mentioned: non fatigueing
Will report how Gustard A22 will perform with same AKM chips and warm house signature (from what I have read)

Jul 25, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #4,236 of 5,808
Jul 25, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #4,237 of 5,808
https://en.shanling.com/article-EM5-EA5.html. @FooFighter Not sure if you have seen this. The DAC/amp may be of interest. Though I don’t think it is out as yet. Assume it would share the same house sound as the M8 and M30. :)
oh my, just ordered the Gustard, that is looking indeed interesting!
Thx.
Will for now start with the Gustard and watch the reviews.
Actually I was about to ask Shanling when they are addressing that market niche - here we go.
Edit: Hopefully my dedicated 750 bucks class A amp plus new 1,3k bucks AKM DAC won't sound worse but you cannot judge by money alone, see my latest experience in the next price layer :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #4,238 of 5,808
I demo'd the M8 the other day and tried to connect using BT to my S21ULTRA but it kept showing up as phone only and not as a music player. Does anyone have any answers as to why and whether it's a setting on my phone or the player?

The pairing works but just doesn't stream music.
You need to switch it to Bluetooth AMP mode to use M8 as BT receiver.

I remember earlier in this thread there was a discussion about the LO function on M8, and whether the signal was true LO (coming off the DAC and unamplified), or whether it was coming off the amp, and the conclusion was that it was coming off the amp so you were ALWAYS double amping when using the M8 with an external amplifier...maybe shanling could shed some more light....
No dedicated lineout circuit on M8.

Question is if it matters that much and if you will notice it in sound...

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4,239 of 5,808
@Shanling
Studying the EM5 thread I saw you mentioning support through the Eddict Player app which is yet supporting M30.
Any plans supporting M8 too (or maybe it's yet supported? I haven't tried).
That would make M8 even more interesting like integrating it into some desktop setup (like I am yet doing) and remote controlling streaming applications.

Edit: another nice feature is just coming to my mind which might even substitute the Eddict Player up for some users: Tidal Connect.
That's a standard for nowadays streamers (strongly suggest that you also put that into your EM5) but would be also most beneficial for remote controlling M8...

Actually such remote apps and/or Tidal Connect are the ONLY way to make use of M8s full capabilities such as MQA decoding as these aren't working in DAC mode (unless Shanling is planning to enhance DAC mode)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #4,240 of 5,808
@Shanling
Please figure the issues out. The new FW has solved nothing. The device is borderline unusable with constant sound dropouts and often the whole player freezing.

Jul 26, 2021 at 8:32 PM Post #4,241 of 5,808
@Shanling
Please figure the issues out. The new FW has solved nothing. The device is borderline unusable with constant sound dropouts and often the whole player freezing.
Just chiming in...but my player is working OK...just one audio dropout since the f/w update...

Jul 26, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #4,242 of 5,808
@Shanling
Studying the EM5 thread I saw you mentioning support through the Eddict Player app which is yet supporting M30.
Any plans supporting M8 too (or maybe it's yet supported? I haven't tried).
That would make M8 even more interesting like integrating it into some desktop setup (like I am yet doing) and remote controlling streaming applications.

Edit: another nice feature is just coming to my mind which might even substitute the Eddict Player up for some users: Tidal Connect.
That's a standard for nowadays streamers (strongly suggest that you also put that into your EM5) but would be also most beneficial for remote controlling M8...

Actually such remote apps and/or Tidal Connect are the ONLY way to make use of M8s full capabilities such as MQA decoding as these aren't working in DAC mode (unless Shanling is planning to enhance DAC mode)
Eddict Player already works with M8 over SyncLink feature.

For Tidal Connect, I'm not sure how would it be with implementing it into Android system, it's normally run on the simpler streamers. We are hoping that Tidal will get on the same level as Spotify. On Spotify, you can control playback between two devices both running the app, which is feature that Tidal is so far lacking.

@Shanling

Software team still working on it. As much as we test each new firmware, there are new reports from users.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 27, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #4,243 of 5,808
Playing Hi-Res Neil Young on Apple Music on the M8, and the status bar is showing 192KHz. Mr. Young's war with Tidal was the final straw that drove me to abandon Tidal for Apple Music -- not that I was anti-MQA, but I can't pay top dollar for a streamer that doesn't have Neil Young or CSNY. I had been using various Apple Music betas to get lossless and Hi-Res on the M8, and they seem to have ironed out the bugs with the official release. Overall, it sounds superb. Also, the M8 is an incredible DAP -- I just listened to Rubber Soul all the way through, and it was like hearing it for the first time, pardon the cliche. Very happy with Apple Music/M8 combo.
Hi, what track are you listening to, I'm on the latest version of Apple Music on the M8, and when I play albums marked hi-resolution lossless I'm still getting 44.1 in the status bar?

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #4,244 of 5,808
Hi, what track are you listening to, I'm on the latest version of Apple Music on the M8, and when I play albums marked hi-resolution lossless I'm still getting 44.1 in the status bar?
My M8 is at home so can’t check right now, but I remember going into apple music settings to toggle something on to enable hi-res playback upto 192kHz

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:06 AM Post #4,245 of 5,808
Genuine question.

I'm interested in the M8 and have demoed once and sounds great, however reading this thread and description of various bugs I want to hear from users.

Is it worth getting the M8 if I listen to Spotify and downloaded high-resolution tracks and not Tidal?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back