Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jul 27, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #4,261 of 5,817
My hesitation only comes from a few users whom have said what's to enjoy when the M8 keeps shutting down or pausing while listening. Guess will have to experience or avoid at my own costs.
<knock on wood> My experiences with the M8 have been better than other DAPs.

I mostly use mine to stream and find new music. It does get a little janky when playing numerous YouTube-embedded videos within Head-Fi‘s music sharing threads. Once that happens, I remind myself it was impossible to even look at Head-Fi on other DAPs. My old and loved Hiby R6 didn’t handle it well either. My Hiby needs a full restart if you use two different audio streaming apps. I tried to work with Hiby on this, but they didn’t feel there were enough reports to acknowledge the problem.

Just listening to music is mouth dropping for a portable device on the M8.

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #4,262 of 5,817
So the bugs aren't enough to stop you from using the player? The M30 is even a bigger investment.

Like @Whitigir I have both the M8 and M30. Wonderful sonics! Yes, more work to be done on the UI and UX. But the sound makes it worth it. :)

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #4,263 of 5,817
The M30 uses dual 4497 like the QA390, correct? How does it compare to the M8 with dual 4499?

Frankly, I think the M30, to use the words of @Whitigir, is like the M8 on steroids. It has more features as well. It has 3 sound signatures: SS, tube and bypass (where it’s just the DAC chips). I enjoy using it as a DAC and I also have the DAC sending analog signal to my other desktop amps such as Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon, Cavalli Liquid Gold and Phatlab RASA. I also have my Bricasti M1 DAC run analog signal into the M30 for it’s amp. It also works as a USB DAC for my iDevices when I stream from apps that are not in the M30, such as Apple Music. I also have my M1 Mac Mini outputting directly into the M30 for Roon as well. :)

Jul 27, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #4,264 of 5,817
The amps matter 80% or more than the DAC chips used (as long as the dacs are relatively competent) Marketing has everyone all in a tizzy over the super special dac chips. The M8 has JFETs in the amp stage and that alone is somewhat special.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #4,265 of 5,817
The amps matter 80% or more than the DAC chips used (as long as the dacs are relatively competent) Marketing has everyone all in a tizzy over the super special dac chips. The M8 has JFETs in the amp stage and that alone is somewhat special.
Yes, Amplifier matters much more than the DAC itself!! So is the tuning and voicing of the amplifier

I post some more about the M30 with some comparisons here and the build quality
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/int...p-hi-fi-streaming-player.952808/post-16475576

The M30 Amp board has a lot of spaces that could mean for a very beefy and special amplifier module to come soon !!! Also modifications will be a hell lot of fun with the M30

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #4,266 of 5,817
Trying to decide on whether to get a m8, r8 or se180. It’s so difficult. What’s great about the m8 and what iems have good synergy with it?

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #4,267 of 5,817
I’ve noticed that Tidal causes more background noise/hiss compared to Apple Music when using my M8. Any idea why that would be? Tidal there is a very audible hiss when using sensitive IEM’s, but with Apple Music it’s almost dead silent. Seems strange. Anyone else notice this?

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:15 AM Post #4,268 of 5,817
I’ve noticed that Tidal causes more background noise/hiss compared to Apple Music when using my M8. Any idea why that would be? Tidal there is a very audible hiss when using sensitive IEM’s, but with Apple Music it’s almost dead silent. Seems strange. Anyone else notice this?
My Andromeda 2020 is silent on Tidal and Apple Music to me on M8

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #4,269 of 5,817
My Andromeda 2020 is silent on Tidal and Apple Music to me on M8
Interesting… Thanks for confirming. What volume and gain setting do you normally use? I’ll try reinstalling tidal and see if that makes any difference

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #4,270 of 5,817
Interesting… Thanks for confirming. What volume and gain setting do you normally use? I’ll try reinstalling tidal and see if that makes any difference
With Andromeda 2020, I am using High Gain around 20-25 volume on the 3.5mm jack. Do you have only one app open at a time? I can't play music if I switch apps when another one is in the background.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #4,271 of 5,817
With Andromeda 2020, I am using High Gain around 20-25 volume on the 3.5mm jack. Do you have only one app open at a time? I can't play music if I switch apps when another one is in the background.
Yeah, I close all other apps when listening. So I’ve just reinstalled tidal and now there’s no hiss! Really weird! Oh well, it’s fixed so I’m happy :D

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:26 AM Post #4,272 of 5,817
Yeah, I close all other apps when listening. So I’ve just reinstalled tidal and now there’s no hiss! Really weird! Oh well, it’s fixed so I’m happy :D

The mysteries of life, my friend! i was about to reply - no issue with mine either. :)

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #4,273 of 5,817
The mysteries of life, my friend! i was about to reply - no issue with mine either. :)
Listening now with a Campfire Solaris and it sounds sublime 😍 and zero hiss 😂

Campfire Solaris & Andromeda really shine on M8 imho

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #4,274 of 5,817
Gulp I’ve ordered a m8 and ve elysium this morning. I was debating over the m8, r8 and se180 for ages. Hope I’ve made the right decision.

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #4,275 of 5,817
Gulp I’ve ordered a m8 and ve elysium this morning. I was debating over the m8, r8 and se180 for ages. Hope I’ve made the right decision.
It's a unique combination for that lush and musical enjoyment.
Am using that combo very often at nights for calming down.
For other sound signatures you seem to have more than enough choices in your possession looking at your signature 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back