Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jul 27, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #4,246 of 5,817
My M8 is at home so can’t check right now, but I remember going into apple music settings to toggle something on to enable hi-res playback upto 192kHz
Thanks, I just downloaded the latest version of the App, and didn't do that, thanks!!!

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #4,247 of 5,817
My M8 is at home so can’t check right now, but I remember going into apple music settings to toggle something on to enable hi-res playback upto 192kHz
Under settings and then audio iirc

Jul 27, 2021 at 1:53 AM Post #4,248 of 5,817
Genuine question.

I'm interested in the M8 and have demoed once and sounds great, however reading this thread and description of various bugs I want to hear from users.

Is it worth getting the M8 if I listen to Spotify and downloaded high-resolution tracks and not Tidal?

Thanks
Imho the sound signature on M8 is unique amongst DAPS.
Velvet layer around the notes with mid bass and mid emphasis, lush and forgiving while keeping the details and layering, high notes shining through the solid fundament and a nice wide stage.
For me it's worth the struggle with bugs but all in all I am not encountering as many like muted music once during a play session and resolved by pause and play and freezing issues maybe once every 2 weeks but this is varying from user to user reading through the thread.
Other players have their flaws too but usually running more stable than M8 (comparing e.g to Ibasso line).
It's all up to preferences but I have still distanced myself from other competitors (and gave these back) after listening to M8...

Edit: I wouldn't recommend M8 for a newbee who hasn't listened and experienced other DAPs Imho.
Reason is that you should already have an idea about your preferences and ability to make compromises.

- Tiny and uncomplicated for on the go: look somewhere else
- reference sound signature with a Harman target curve: look somewhere else
- sick of exactly that reference sound and looking for lush musical enjoyment on highest level: M8 is for you

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #4,249 of 5,817
Imho the sound signature on M8 is unique amongst DAPS.
Velvet layer around the notes with mid bass and mid emphasis, lush and forgiving while keeping the details and layering, high notes shining through the solid fundament and a nice wide stage.
For me it's worth the struggle with bugs but all in all I am not encountering as many like muted music once during a play session and resolved by pause and play and freezing issues maybe once every 2 weeks but this is varying from user to user reading through the thread.
Other players have their flaws too but usually running more stable than M8 (comparing e.g to Ibasso line).
It's all up to preferences but I have still distanced myself from other competitors (and gave these back) after listening to M8...

Edit: I wouldn't recommend M8 for a newbee who hasn't listened and experienced other DAPs Imho.
Reason is that you should already have an idea about your preferences and ability to make compromises.

- Tiny and uncomplicated for on the go: look somewhere else
- reference sound signature with a Harman target curve: look somewhere else
- sick of exactly that reference sound and looking for lush musical enjoyment on highest level: M8 is for you
Appreciate your thought-out response. I have read many of your posts and know you're a big fan of the M8.

I've had numerous TOTL players and a range of mid to lower end ones for different signatures and purposes. The M8 is unique in that it has the dual 4499 implementation that sounds musical and less digital (my daily is the HM1000 quad).

My hesitation only comes from a few users whom have said there's nothing to enjoy when the M8 keeps shutting down or pausing while listening. Guess will have to experience or avoid at my own costs.

That being said, Shanling is developing a reputation for unreliable software not only on Head-fi and this thread but from word of mouth as well from other users. Something to seriously consider for the future with so many alternatives in the market.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:44 AM Post #4,250 of 5,817
Anyone having this issue with Apple Music? The first few seconds AND the last few seconds of each music track there is no sound at all...

Jul 27, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #4,251 of 5,817
Anyone having this issue with Apple Music? The first few seconds AND the last few seconds of each music track there is no sound at all...
Yep, you need to set Crossfade off

Attachments

• 5596843A-E421-4103-9907-037EB69D0544.jpeg
    5596843A-E421-4103-9907-037EB69D0544.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #4,252 of 5,817
Jul 27, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #4,253 of 5,817
After Shanlings latest response that Eddict Player is working with M8, I installed the app on my IPhone 11Pro but couldn't get both devices synced though I could pair them over Bluetooth beforehand.
Anyone else tried that successfuly so far?
Anyway as far as I understood that will only allow remote control of local files on M8 being played and e.g no Apple Music or Tidal app...

Attachments

• C421395D-C983-443F-ABB4-1AA416BD4CD2.jpeg
    C421395D-C983-443F-ABB4-1AA416BD4CD2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #4,254 of 5,817
After Shanlings latest response that Eddict Player is working with M8, I installed the app on my IPhone 11Pro but couldn't get both devices synced though I could pair them over Bluetooth beforehand.
Anyone else tried that successfuly so far?
Anyway as far as I understood that will only allow remote control of local files on M8 being played and e.g no Apple Music or Tidal app...
It works on Android, not on iOS yet, sorry.

Yes, it's only for controlling playback of the Shanling app.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 27, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #4,255 of 5,817
Appreciate your thought-out response. I have read many of your posts and know you're a big fan of the M8.

I've had numerous TOTL players and a range of mid to lower end ones for different signatures and purposes. The M8 is unique in that it has the dual 4499 implementation that sounds musical and less digital (my daily is the HM1000 quad).

My hesitation only comes from a few users whom have said what's to enjoy when the M8 keeps shutting down or pausing while listening. Guess will have to experience or avoid at my own costs.

That being said, Shanling is developing a reputation for unreliable software not only on Head-fi and this thread but from word of mouth as well from other users. Something to seriously consider for the future with so many alternatives in the market.
So far for me, I haven't had too many bugs. It does happen like the ones that people mentioned, but not enough where I want to switch. Definitely less frequency of bugs than when I first got this player a few months ago. I have the DX300 and M8 on my desk and generally pick up the M8 despite DX300 having better software experience

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #4,256 of 5,817

My hesitation only comes from a few users whom have said what's to enjoy when the M8 keeps shutting down or pausing while listening. Guess will have to experience or avoid at my own costs.

Yes, the only bad side of Shanling is the firmware and bugs that need squashing. I can see Shanling releasing new products faster than new firmware to fix bugs, but that could probably be just me.

However, that doesn’t stop me from having Shanling goodies. I do enjoy M30 a lot atm. Then again, it still has a lot of bugs LoL!!

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #4,257 of 5,817
So far for me, I haven't had too many bugs. It does happen like the ones that people mentioned, but not enough where I want to switch. Definitely less frequency of bugs than when I first got this player a few months ago. I have the DX300 and M8 on my desk and generally pick up the M8 despite DX300 having better software experience
Thank you for sharing your experience.

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:00 AM Post #4,258 of 5,817
Yes, the only bad side of Shanling is the firmware and bugs that need squashing. I can see Shanling releasing new products faster than new firmware to fix bugs, but that could probably be just me.

However, that doesn’t stop me from having Shanling goodies. I do enjoy M30 a lot atm. Then again, it still has a lot of bugs LoL!!
So the bugs aren't enough to stop you from using the player? The M30 is even a bigger investment.

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #4,259 of 5,817
So the bugs aren't enough to stop you from using the player? The M30 is even a bigger investment.
Enough to have taken a lot of good impressions away from it. However, when speaking of sound performances, it is extremely good. Not to mention there could be more developments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back