Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jul 24, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #4,216 of 5,824
Hi M8 owners: has anyone tried the latest Google Play Store version of Apple Music (AM) on your Shanling M8? Lossless and high-res are now supported on the public app.

I’ve been on the fence about buying an M8 for a while and was wondering if anyone has tried Apple Music’s lossless/high-res on the M8 and if it is bypassing Android SRC’ing to 16/48k and showing native sample rate on the status bar?

I left TIDAL because of MQA, (I’m still a Qobuz subscriber though for a number of reaons); however, I‘m shifting to Apple Music for my mobile/portable lossless and high-res streaming. But so far I’ve just tried lossless AM on my iOS devices (which works great) and Sony ZX507 (not so great), and I’m looking for an Android-based DAP that works well with this latest version of the Android Apple Music app, supporting Lossless/High-Res playback.

I started a thread to track any DAPs supporting bit-perfect Apple Music lossless/high-res playback, so if anyone wants to add their experiences that are off-topic in this thread please leave a comment there. Thanks: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-lossless-high-res-atmos.958793/post-16469941

Cheers,
Gus

Jul 24, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #4,217 of 5,824
Hi M8 owners: has anyone tried the latest Google Play Store version of Apple Music (AM) on your Shanling M8? Lossless and high-res are now supported on the public app.

I’ve been on the fence about buying an M8 for a while and was wondering if anyone has tried Apple Music’s lossless/high-res on the M8 and if it is bypassing Android SRC’ing to 16/48k and showing native sample rate on the status bar?

I left TIDAL because of MQA, (I’m still a Qobuz subscriber though for a number of reaons); however, I‘m shifting to Apple Music for my mobile/portable lossless and high-res streaming. But so far I’ve just tried lossless AM on my iOS devices (which works great) and Sony ZX507 (not so great), and I’m looking for an Android-based DAP that works well with this latest version of the Android Apple Music app, supporting Lossless/High-Res playback.

I started a thread to track any DAPs supporting bit-perfect Apple Music lossless/high-res playback, so if anyone wants to add their experiences that are off-topic in this thread please leave a comment there. Thanks: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...-lossless-high-res-atmos.958793/post-16469941

Cheers,
Gus
Playing Hi-Res Neil Young on Apple Music on the M8, and the status bar is showing 192KHz. Mr. Young's war with Tidal was the final straw that drove me to abandon Tidal for Apple Music -- not that I was anti-MQA, but I can't pay top dollar for a streamer that doesn't have Neil Young or CSNY. I had been using various Apple Music betas to get lossless and Hi-Res on the M8, and they seem to have ironed out the bugs with the official release. Overall, it sounds superb. Also, the M8 is an incredible DAP -- I just listened to Rubber Soul all the way through, and it was like hearing it for the first time, pardon the cliche. Very happy with Apple Music/M8 combo.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #4,218 of 5,824
Playing Hi-Res Neil Young on Apple Music on the M8, and the status bar is showing 192KHz. Mr. Young's war with Tidal was the final straw that drove me to abandon Tidal for Apple Music -- not that I was anti-MQA, but I can't pay top dollar for a streamer that doesn't have Neil Young or CSNY. I had been using various Apple Music betas to get lossless and Hi-Res on the M8, and they seem to have ironed out the bugs with the official release. Overall, it sounds superb. Also, the M8 is an incredible DAP -- I just listened to Rubber Soul all the way through, and it was like hearing it for the first time, pardon the cliche. Very happy with Apple Music/M8 combo.
I was listening to Giles Martin's 2018 mix of The White Album on Qobuz. It is very dynamic, full of subtle details, and comes with an incredible sense of space, which does wonders to an album that has some really personal and nuanced tracks. It was an incredible experience.

Jul 24, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #4,219 of 5,824
I installed Apple Music on M8 yesterday and also liked the signature but had constant issues with music not being audible first and last 5 seconds of each song...
Anyone else encountered this?
Was listening to some radio channel and checked bit rate, it was showing between 24/44 and 24/96

Jul 24, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #4,220 of 5,824
I installed Apple Music on M8 yesterday and also liked the signature but had constant issues with music not being audible first and last 5 seconds of each song...
Anyone else encountered this?
Was listening to some radio channel and checked bit rate, it was showing between 24/44 and 24/96
Please check if "Crossfade" is set to off. So far crossfade does not work properly !

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #4,222 of 5,824
Thank you to those who responded about Apple Music on M8. Another question: did you load the app via the Google Play Store or sideloading an apk?
Google Play Store

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #4,224 of 5,824
Does non-beta Android Apple Music support hi-res ?
I’m still using bete version !
At least M8 status bar and Apple Music song info said so 😉

Jul 24, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #4,226 of 5,824
Chaps, maybe an unorthodox question, but does anyone know/use a desktop size DAC (with AK4499EQ chipset) which is similar in signature to M8?

I know M30 would be a logical step but I am hesitant as I wanted a clean XMOS solution independent of aging DAP hardware /OS.

My first R2R attempt in that direction just failed - I still prefer listening to M8 either connected to C9 for my IEMs or currently Flux FA-10 for my Denon AH-D9200 even though I know it's double amping - it just sounds smooth, liquid, musical and I couldn't find that experience anywhere else so far...

External amping on Shanling M8 is bringing air between the notes and extends stage for my relatively easy to drive gear, more forward sound and a tad less warmth in comparison to more intimate and more bassy presentation on M8 alone.
Guess higher Ohms gear like HD800S or Susvara will definitely profit even more

Just some examples (haven't heard any of them...):
- Gustard A22
- SMSL M400

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #4,227 of 5,824
Chaps, maybe an unorthodox question, but does anyone know/use a desktop size DAC (with AK4499EQ chipset) which is similar in signature to M8?

I know M30 would be a logical step but I am hesitant as I wanted a clean XMOS solution independent of aging DAP hardware /OS.

My first R2R attempt in that direction just failed - I still prefer listening to M8 either connected to C9 for my IEMs or currently Flux FA-10 for my Denon AH-D9200 even though I know it's double amping - it just sounds smooth, liquid, musical and I couldn't find that experience anywhere else so far...

External amping on Shanling M8 is bringing air between the notes and extends stage for my relatively easy to drive gear, more forward sound and a tad less warmth in comparison to more intimate and more bassy presentation on M8 alone.

- Gustard A22
- SMSL M400
The AK4499 DACs are mostly out of production due to the AKM factory fire, might take a bit of luck to find an older model. That's also why most manufacturers released new version using ESS chips.

I'm using Topping D90SE which sounds very different from M8 (comes with the ESS chip), so you might want to steer away from it. I heard Gustard's house sound is a bit warmer and more natural compared than average AK4499 DACs, so Gustard A22 might be a good choice by its description, but I never listened to it myself. Again, it might take a bit of luck to find one due to the AKM chip shortage.

Jul 24, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #4,228 of 5,824

- Gustard A22
- SMSL M400
I remember earlier in this thread there was a discussion about the LO function on M8, and whether the signal was true LO (coming off the DAC and unamplified), or whether it was coming off the amp, and the conclusion was that it was coming off the amp so you were ALWAYS double amping when using the M8 with an external amplifier...maybe shanling could shed some more light....

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,229 of 5,824
I remember earlier in this thread there was a discussion about the LO function on M8, and whether the signal was true LO (coming off the DAC and unamplified), or whether it was coming off the amp, and the conclusion was that it was coming off the amp so you were ALWAYS double amping when using the M8 with an external amplifier...maybe shanling could shed some more light....
Correct. No true LO on M8.

For anyone insterested in the previous discussion see page 193 post 2891.
So in line-out mode, it doesn't bypass the amp utilizing just the DAC section when we stack with an external amp? The M8 will be double-amping in that case?
Yes, it will be double amping.

Jul 24, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #4,230 of 5,824
I found an almost new Gustard A22
Wish me luck.
I will report if I am lucky.
Just to contribute to this thread: M8 is awesome also with double amping - see my post above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back