Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Oct 6, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #5,701 of 5,809
Does anyone have issues using Android File Transfer with the latest firmware? I get the following message each time, even though I select "file transfer" on the device. AFT works fine with my Android phone, just not with the M8. I am NOT comfortable removing the SD card each time I want to add a file - that's a lot of wear and tear on a very expensive 1TB card. Perhaps there are other transfer programs folks have found useful?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 13.08.41.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 13.08.41.png
    258.4 KB · Views: 0
Oct 6, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #5,702 of 5,809
Does anyone have issues using Android File Transfer with the latest firmware? I get the following message each time, even though I select "file transfer" on the device. AFT works fine with my Android phone, just not with the M8. I am NOT comfortable removing the SD card each time I want to add a file - that's a lot of wear and tear on a very expensive 1TB card. Perhaps there are other transfer programs folks have found useful?
I'm using Commander one, a file manager on Mac (Finder is a piece of crap imo)and it works fine with Android devices. There's a free trial period of 15 days.

Oct 6, 2023 at 7:55 PM Post #5,703 of 5,809
I almost made the mistake of putting my m8 up for sale. I hadn't listened to it in over a month. I had been using my recently acquired WM1Z m1 for my wired iems/headphones, and my Focal Bathys for APTX Adaptive Bluetooth or wired DAC mode. Well, I just got a new Abyss Diana MR over the weekend, and the M8 came in handy. Pushing 820mW @ 32ohm in Ultra gain, was beneficial to the Diana, and it's a great pairing for me. Works even better when used as a line out to my new Xduoo mt-604 balanced hybrid amp. Spent the last two days vibing listening to that combo. Definitely keeping my M8 AND my WM1Z m1 long term. Thank you Shanling

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #5,704 of 5,809
I almost made the mistake of putting my m8 up for sale. I hadn't listened to it in over a month. I had been using my recently acquired WM1Z m1 and my Focal Bathys for Bluetooth. Well, I just got a new Abyss Diana MR over the weekend, and the M8 came in handy. Pushing 820mW @ 32ohm in Ultra gain, was beneficial to the Diana, and it's a great pairing for me. Works even better when used as a line out to my new Xduoo mt-604 balanced hybrid amp. Spent the last two days vibing listening to that combo. Definitely keeping my M8 AND my WM1Z m1 long term. Thank you Shanling
Hi,

You mean you use the Sony WM1Z as a DAP to send Bluetooth stream to Focal Bathys headphone ?
I don't think I got you right there... because taht would make no sense at all to me.
But who knows :wink:

Oct 7, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #5,705 of 5,809
Hi,

You mean you use the Sony WM1Z as a DAP to send Bluetooth stream to Focal Bathys headphone ?
I don't think I got you right there... because taht would make no sense at all to me.
But who knows :wink:
No. I mean I recently purchased a WM1Z as a DAP to use wired, as I love the Sony sound signature, and I purchased a Focal Bathys to use with my APTX Adaptive phone or in DAC mode to my iPhone 13 mini, when I want a closed back headphone

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #5,707 of 5,809
Still don't understand why I'm 20+ volume clicks more than with my M6 Pro when using every headphone that I own. Doesn't make sense. When listening with my Gjallarhorn (quite efficient), I have to increase the EQ gain with some albums just to reach my desired listening levels. I was really looking forward to the power increase so I could get some less efficient headphones.

Oct 8, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #5,708 of 5,809
Still don't understand why I'm 20+ volume clicks more than with my M6 Pro when using every headphone that I own. Doesn't make sense. When listening with my Gjallarhorn (quite efficient), I have to increase the EQ gain with some albums just to reach my desired listening levels. I was really looking forward to the power increase so I could get some less efficient headphones.
Are you using single ended or balanced? Low, high, or Ultra gain? Please let me know which level you are using on each DAP. Thank you

Oct 8, 2023 at 3:49 PM Post #5,710 of 5,809
Turbo gain, balanced. I have 5 different headphones, same with all. Even my old 99 Classics.
I'm sure it feels weird, but seeing as these aren't digital volume controls, the only way to know for sure if it's a real volume discrepancy would be to have a Device a device you can max the volume on. Even if you can go low or high gain on a device and max the volume, then you'd be able to see for sure. I don't know, but it is possible the the M8 begins to have larger volume swings closer to 100%

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #5,712 of 5,809
I'm sure it feels weird, but seeing as these aren't digital volume controls, the only way to know for sure if it's a real volume discrepancy would be to have a Device a device you can max the volume on. Even if you can go low or high gain on a device and max the volume, then you'd be able to see for sure. I don't know, but it is possible the the M8 begins to have larger volume swings closer to 100%
I understand what you're saying, however, if the M8 has more power as suggested, there is no reason why I would need to listen in the 90s, when I can reach the same volume on my M6 Pro in the high 60s. Obviously I'm not volume matching, but I know what my ears are hearing. I know when 1 more click is too much. I wish I had a higher impedance headphone to see what happens on both daps. Again, when you reach 100, the game is over. Won't go no louder. I'm listening at the same volume numbers as my original Hiby R5. Definitely doesn't seem right.

Oct 8, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #5,713 of 5,809
I understand what you're saying, however, if the M8 has more power as suggested, there is no reason why I would need to listen in the 90s, when I can reach the same volume on my M6 Pro in the high 60s. Obviously I'm not volume matching, but I know what my ears are hearing. I know when 1 more click is too much. I wish I had a higher impedance headphone to see what happens on both daps. Again, when you reach 100, the game is over. Won't go no louder. I'm listening at the same volume numbers as my original Hiby R5. Definitely doesn't seem right.
Maybe your device is defective and not playing loud enough, maybe the amps are bad....

Oct 8, 2023 at 8:31 PM Post #5,714 of 5,809

Are you running it at 100% that you need to boost it with additional gain in software?

Please note that when you enable EQ in Shanling Music, there is a significant gain reduction in the software, when you disable EQ you will get the full volume.

If you want to test it full, do a full factory reset and then play just in Shanling app, that should show you the full performance of the player, no matter what 3rd party apps or EQ can affect it.

I'm listening at the same volume numbers as my original Hiby R5. Definitely doesn't seem right.

Comparing volume values between players means nothing, different players have the volume curves set differently.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 9, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #5,715 of 5,809
You're sure you're on Turbo gain? I'm using Abyss Diana MR and with these two sensitivity headphones, I'm at like 73 on Turbo gain with the M8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back