Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Apr 15, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,701 of 5,808
In terms of pure technicalities (staging etc.) I would say the MEST...but the MEST (at least the OG version which I've heard...I presently have a MKii on the way) lacks the naturalness and bodies mids of the Solaris. Dorado 2020 has the naturalness but lacks the bonkers holographic stage. IER Z1R is a side grade that is similar in terms of staging and naturalness but has more of a sub-bass/upper mid focus to the Solaris' mid-bass/lower mid focus...YMMV there. Ultimately I've never found a pure upgrade to Solaris across the board but so far the best possible candidates I've heard about (but not heard) are the Odin and Thummim.
Thanks for the valuable information! In my country I can't really try before buying; and following opinions which seem similar to what I hear is the way to go for me. Looking forward to your impressions on Odin and Thummim.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,702 of 5,808
I should be getting to demo the Odin soon and hopefully some day I'll get to hear the Thummim.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,703 of 5,808
I should be getting to demo the Odin soon and hopefully some day I'll get to hear the Thummim.
Have not read 1 thing about the Odin that makes me think its worth the money....

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,704 of 5,808
Thanks for the valuable information! In my country I can't really try before buying; and following opinions which seem similar to what I hear is the way to go for me. Looking forward to your impressions on Odin and Thummim.
There are some interesting testing going on right now with new owners, in some other threads for the Thummin if you search it. May be worth poking around since sounds like you would have to buy blind without demo and it ain’t cheap.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #2,705 of 5,808
There are some interesting testing going on right now with new owners, in some other threads for the Thummin if you search it. May be worth poking around since sounds like you would have to buy blind without demo and it ain’t cheap.
Yeah I will be checking them out everywhere. I will hold out before I can be really sure. I love the Solaris and I will be getting the M8; that should keep me occupied for quite some time :beyersmile: until something truly irresistible comes up.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #2,706 of 5,808
Have not read 1 thing about the Odin that makes me think its worth the money....
Odin is the best IEM I've heard... bar none. Are the glowing reviews across the board not good enough for you? I bet you haven't even heard them have you? :joy: I also find it hard to take anyones criticisms about a products pricing seriously when they've owned an SP2000, pretty much 2 of every other dap they've owned and a PW 1950s cable hahaha

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:15 PM Post #2,707 of 5,808
Odin is the best IEM I've heard... bar none. Are the glowing reviews across the board not good enough for you? I bet you haven't even heard them have you? :joy: I also find it hard to take anyones criticisms about a products pricing seriously when they've owned an SP2000, pretty much 2 of every other dap they've owned and a PW 1950s cable hahaha
whoa, whoa, calm down there cowboy. :scream:All i'm saying is I have not read anything that says the Odins are SO GOOD, they are worth the money. I own a pair of custom Valkyries and I love them. But if I am going to spend $3,400 on IEM, they better rock my world, not just "sound great". My $399 3DTs sound great, great. Plus, I'm not rich. If i was a surgeon making 10K a week, yeah, I would be less hesitant. But 3.4K is a big drop for me....:kissing_heart:

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #2,708 of 5,808
whoa, whoa, calm down there cowboy. :scream:All i'm saying is I have not read anything that says the Odins are SO GOOD, they are worth the money. I own a pair of custom Valkyries and I love them. But if I am going to spend $3,400 on IEM, they better rock my world, not just "sound great". My $399 3DTs sound great, great. Plus, I'm not rich. If i was a surgeon making 10K a week, yeah, I would be less hesitant. But 3.4K is a big drop for me....:kissing_heart:
Multiple reputable reviewers say that they are the best IEM's they've heard and that they're one of a couple of IEM's that are worthy of their 2k+ price tags .... haha. And in regards to your finances comment, the 'Old' section of your signature says otherwise.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #2,709 of 5,808
Multiple reputable reviewers say that they are the best IEM's they've heard and that they're one of a couple of IEM's that are worthy of their 2k+ price tags .... haha. And in regards to your finances comment, the 'Old' section of your signature says otherwise.
I have other hobbies, love...:deadhorse:

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #2,711 of 5,808
I sense that you don’t have the cognitive capacity to comprehend what I’m getting at so we will leave it at that... enjoy your 3DP
o jesus christ, lighten up...

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #2,712 of 5,808
Odin is the best IEM I've heard... bar none. Are the glowing reviews across the board not good enough for you?

I've talked to a few people who were underwhelmed by them on the whole...and I don't know any reviewers, no matter how reputable, who I trust enough to take a statement like "best IEM ever" at face value. In fact your own testimony has more weight for me personally than that of any professional/formal reviewer. I can't wait to hear them (hopefully soon) but I'm doing my best to remain as neutral as possible going in.

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #2,713 of 5,808
I've talked to a few people who were underwhelmed by them on the whole...and I don't know any reviewers, no matter how reputable, who I trust enough to take a statement like "best IEM ever" at face value. In fact your own testimony has more weight for me personally than that of any professional/formal reviewer. I can't wait to hear them (hopefully soon) but I'm doing my best to remain as neutral as possible going in.
I never said “best IEM ever”... and neither has any of the reviewers I’m referring to. I just said that they have been the best IEM’s that THEY (the reviewers) and myself have heard and are worthy of their price tag (obviously this last statement is taking into consideration the current TOTL pricing environment).

But yeah, I’d love to hear your impressions on them as I feel they’d pair well with the M8.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #2,714 of 5,808
I never said “best IEM ever”... and neither has any of the reviewers I’m referring to. I just said that they have been the best IEM’s that THEY (the reviewers) and myself have heard and are worthy of their price tag.

But yeah, I’d love to hear your impressions on them as I feel they’d pair well with the M8.

FWIW based on the calibre of people I know who rate them I'm already convinced they're a great IEM. Whether they're "for me" or "worth the money" (both entirely subjective judgments) remains to be seen. I'm super stoked to hear them and should be able to sooner than later. In the meantime I can't wait to plug my MEST Mkii into my M8 next week :D

Apr 15, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #2,715 of 5,808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back