Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Apr 14, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #2,688 of 5,808
Hold down volume wheel and top left button at the same time, hold until Shanling logo appears. Then stop pressing.
Got it. Don't need to use it, but wanted to try it in case i need to in future....

Apr 14, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #2,690 of 5,808
Eager for a bit of M8 firmware. Will tomorrow be the day? Maybe, but probably not.

Apr 14, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #2,691 of 5,808
Tell ya’ll what, my Thummim came in today, and the M8 in turbo mode makes these titanium beauties sing. Expansive soundstage, powerful bass, beautifully rendered midrange and treble, a stunning combination! Got to go, Big Head Todd & the Monsters are doing a concert in my study!

Apr 15, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #2,692 of 5,808
Tell ya’ll what, my Thummim came in today, and the M8 in turbo mode makes these titanium beauties sing. Expansive soundstage, powerful bass, beautifully rendered midrange and treble, a stunning combination! Got to go, Big Head Todd & the Monsters are doing a concert in my study!
You bought the Thummim? You went there....

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #2,693 of 5,808
I bought the Shanling M8 based on reading(misreading?) that the output impedance for both balanced and unbalanced is less than 1 ohm and now I see that the balanced is more than 1 ohm. I have the Campfire Solaris(OG) and I had to sell the AK SR25 due to it's high impedance(1.6 ohms). The sound was all treble with no depth in the soundstage. The Shanling Q1 sounded so much better to me. I really hope it works out because I won't be able to sell the M8 :slight_frown: I really like the M8 based on whatever I have read about it. Hope it matches with the Solaris.

Apr 15, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #2,694 of 5,808
I bought the Shanling M8 based on reading(misreading?) that the output impedance for both balanced and unbalanced is less than 1 ohm and now I see that the balanced is more than 1 ohm. I have the Campfire Solaris(OG) and I had to sell the AK SR25 due to it's high impedance(1.6 ohms). The sound was all treble with no depth in the soundstage. The Shanling Q1 sounded so much better to me. I really hope it works out because I won't be able to sell the M8 :slight_frown: I really like the M8 based on whatever I have read about it. Hope it matches with the Solaris.
I went through the same history with my Andro Gold with SR25 and lean bass, body and I also have a Q1 but it has unbalanced below 1 Ohm so that's no benchmark for you.
I am not sure if I would run Andromeda on balanced out but I don't have M8 yet so I cannot be sure...
@Rockwell75 has some experience as I read before...

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #2,695 of 5,808
I went through the same history with my Andro Gold with SR25 and lean bass, body and I also have a Q1 but it has unbalanced below 1 Ohm so that's no benchmark for you.
I am not sure if I would run Andromeda on balanced out but I don't have M8 yet so I cannot be sure...

My Solaris SE was epic with the M8. Inky black background and a nice weight to the low end. I never tried Andro on it though.

Edit: Also Solaris isn't anywhere near as sensitive to OI as Andro is.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #2,696 of 5,808
Thanks for the info. The no bass and collapsed soundstage made me prefer the unbalanced out of the Q1 over the SR25, though I could hear better technicalities on SR25. How much of a difference would there be between balanced and unbalanced M8?

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #2,697 of 5,808
My Solaris SE was epic with the M8. Inky black background and a nice weight to the low end. I never tried Andro on it though.
Yeah I read your posts on this. That makes me excited again. Which output were you using for the Solaris? I think the SE and OG Solaris have the same impedance values/curve, so the effect of output impedance should be the same.

How was the soundstage on the M8-Solaris combo? I just love the expansive 3d soundstage of the Solaris. It vanished with the SR25.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #2,698 of 5,808
It was great. The hyper black background on the M8 gave all the technical aspects of Solaris (staging, layering, detail etc.) a huge boost. I always use balanced high gain as I love the oomph and muscularity you get. YMMV and all that.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #2,699 of 5,808
It was great. The hyper black background on the M8 gave all the technical aspects of Solaris (staging, layering, detail etc.) a huge boost. I always use balanced high gain as I love the oomph and muscularity you get. YMMV and all that.
Well thanks for the info! I feel better now lol. I have read a lot of your posts and wanted to ask you- which IEM is better than Solaris in your opinion on its bread and butter- Wide and holographic+ balanced/even/natural sound signature. Basically what's the step up IEM in the same sound signature?

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #2,700 of 5,808
Well thanks for the info! I feel better now lol. I have read a lot of your posts and wanted to ask you- which IEM is better than Solaris in your opinion on its bread and butter- Wide and holographic+ balanced/even/natural sound signature. Basically what's the step up IEM in the same sound signature?

In terms of pure technicalities (staging etc.) I would say the MEST...but the MEST (at least the OG version which I've heard...I presently have a MKii on the way) lacks the naturalness and bodied mids of the Solaris. Dorado 2020 has the naturalness but lacks the bonkers holographic stage. IER Z1R is a side grade that is at a similar level in terms of staging, technicalities and naturalness but has more of a sub-bass/upper mid focus to the Solaris' mid-bass/lower mid focus...YMMV there. Ultimately I've never found a pure upgrade to Solaris across the board but so far the best possible candidates I've heard about (but not heard) are the Odin and Thummim.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back