Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 31, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #1,711 of 5,808
Reference is commonly accepted as being as close to neural also possible and some need to cease telling others what to think & say. M8 adds weight which has been covered extensively, therefore the player is adding to the baseline, similar to WM1Z. Shanling can describe the M8 as they see fit as it's their product and a very good one, nor do I have issue...

Q-6

Jan 31, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #1,712 of 5,808
gLer...I am not certain why you wish to interject on a sound signature of an item you haven't heard. You did the same with the R8, on that thread. Earlier, you were debating with me that the R8 is a top tier DAP, and that the LPGT and SP2K, LP P6 DAPs are overpriced and in the same tier as R8. The last time I heard, you owned an R6 and we're waiting to see what the 2020 version looked like. You can clearly have an opinion, but I am not sure how you say anything about a signature you haven't heard.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,713 of 5,808
gLer...I am not certain why you wish to interject on a sound signature of an item you haven't heard. You did the same with the R8, on that thread. Earlier, you were debating with me that the R8 is a top tier DAP, and that the LPGT and SP2K, LP P6 DAPs are overpriced and in the same tier as R8. The last time I heard, you owned an R6 and we're waiting to see what the 2020 version looked like. You can clearly have an opinion, but I am not sure how you say anything about a signature you haven't heard.
Ok, before I get myself into a knot (which I seem to have done), I currently own the R8 (have for several months now), and am merely trying to understand the nature of the M8 (and DX300) on that thread. If my questions and opinions have come across as forecful, I must apologise. I need to keep reminding myself that just like I have an opinion on something, so do others, especially those that own and use these great products.

I have not made any qualitative comments on the sound of this or any other DAP or IEM I haven't personally heard, merely stated my opinion based on observations, and have tried to ask questions instead of answering those to which I have no answers.

As of right now I'm ejecting myself from this and the DX300 threads since rubbing people up the wrong way is definitely not what I'm about or what I intend doing, and while I do enjoy a lively debate, when it gets personal, that's where I draw the line.

If you need me I'll be in the R8 thread, where my assessment of the R8 in relation to those other players stands.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #1,714 of 5,808
Ok, before I get myself into a knot (which I seem to have done), I currently own the R8 (have for several months now), and am merely trying to understand the nature of the M8 (and DX300) on that thread. If my questions and opinions have come across as forecful, I must apologise. I need to keep reminding myself that just like I have an opinion on something, so do others, especially those that own and use these great products.

I have not made any qualitative comments on the sound of this or any other DAP or IEM I haven't personally heard, merely stated my opinion based on observations, and have tried to ask questions instead of answering those to which I have no answers.

As of right now I'm ejecting myself from this and the DX300 threads since rubbing people up the wrong way is definitely not what I'm about or what I intend doing, and while I do enjoy a lively debate, when it gets personal, that's where I draw the line.

If you need me I'll be in the R8 thread, where my assessment of the R8 in relation to those other players stands.
Cool, you did decide to purchase the the R8? I know you like Hiby. You went with the R8 over the R6 2020, which surprises me a little knowing that was the unit you had your heart set on.

I wish the R8 had worked out for me, I really enjoyed the sound quality of that device, but had too many issues and the battery drain with the unit off was the last straw.

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #1,715 of 5,808
Cool, you did decide to purchase the the R8? I know you like Hiby. You went with the R8 over the R6 2020, which surprises me a little knowing that was the unit you had your heart set on.

I wish the R8 had worked out for me, I really enjoyed the sound quality of that device, but had too many issues and the battery drain with the unit off was the last straw.
Yeah I went for the R8. Got to loan a unit and once I heard it I knew getting the R6 would be too much of a compromise, considering I was after a flagship DAP for the next 2-3 year cycle.

Pity your unit was so troublesome. I've come to appreciate the 'soft touch' of the R8 volume dial and why it was designed that way, and have had nothing but exemplary performance from the battery/battery life.

It's also faster than my personal smartphone, which always helps.

I'm by no means partial to HiBy, but of all the current Android DAPs on the market the R8 is the most complete for my needs and preferences. I strongly considered getting the LPGT after an extended audition but a full Android player suits my use case much better. Glad I waited because the R8 finally nailed the SQ and transparency that impressed me most about the Lotoo.

I've been trying to understand what Shanling and iBasso are trying to do with their own players, but may have gone too far with my line of questioning. I'm glad both iBasso and Shanling are pushing hard because that can only be good for competition and future product development, and pricing of course.

Right, that's the last I'll say here (or on the DX300 thread) until such time I've heard both units myself. If I'm agitating instead of contributing that doesn't do anyone any good. You guys know where to find me if you need me.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #1,716 of 5,808

Bro your a good guy but please dont push the boundaries 🙂 we are many audiophiles here and we know a bit each other as we cross our paths here and there... This is why I love headfi and I also feel like being among friends amd we share our toughts and have fun together....

A lot of us have their own believes and their own religion regarding music and its fundamentals....

Many question tiger ears abilities but those folks who follows me understand me better. Sometimes I fool around and I love being mystical and express my self differently then what people would. I lile it that way I like to use the enigmatic and mysterial way of description lol

Anyways I think you are now feeling some strength and powerfull knowledge of audiophile world amd starting to put in place your believes and ideas how the true audio music should be. I understand that it is correct and normal that you have found what you consider the right way for you...
But you need to understand that others also have that same knowledge and want it different maybe. So this is where we all need to be respectful and listen to each other and simply know ok he like this the other headfier is more like this and one guy is the DIY pro haha yea this is @Whitigir 😜🤠

So you should not be pushing it please. Just accept it.

Its like me who likes warm sounds and also enjoys high end quality sound. My philosophy is that music is life and love, if I am listening and I am bored well why tha heck will I use this dap or iem if it never triggers my joy? Or emotions? Well M8 and Tia Noir and Symbiote cable triggers a tremendous amount of love and emotional feelings! Does that mean I am bashing R8 lol no. R8 is not the same beast amd it is not for me.

Well I can talk alot about it but you got the point my friend.
If you love R8 your only options it Dave, hugo tt or hugo 2 nothing else will suite you as its not refence sounding

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,717 of 5,808
Edit wrong post.

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,718 of 5,808
Woaaa I just made 1.2 million been 10 years now! I am 34 I will agree a life of a trucker on the road is quiet special, in sense that for me holidays dont exist, I chose when I stop when I celebrate heck! Just being is already a good reason for celebrating haha
I am kinda getting tired of it, not easy its like being in army service every day but im a civilian territory....
A regime every day, finding food, staying healthy are all huge challenging tasks!
I refuse eating junky food so I shop and search on google map for healthy food and stop at Walmart as there is huge parking yards!

Man walmart im america is like the holy place haha you got everything! In canada walmart is nothing just a small pit of few stuff and thats all.
In america you can even fix your car and get fuel lol

Hehe the radio I took it out the truck lol too much crap talking on the radio people are ridiculous they just say soo much BS no need for that. Just music and road 🙂

I give you both credit. It takes a special person to be a trucker. I think the isolation and time away from home would really get under my skin. I am kind of a homebody...

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #1,719 of 5,808
Would the shanling M8, and Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 make good complimentary digital audio players?

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #1,720 of 5,808
Would the shanling M8, and Lotoo Paw Gold 2017 make good complimentary digital audio players?
I would think you would have your bases covered with those two..but it is only opinion. Ask Andrew at Musicteck if he has a loaner maybe, I dont know.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,721 of 5,808
I would think you would have your bases covered with those two..but it is only opinion. Ask Andrew at Musicteck if he has a loaner maybe, I dont know.

Now I have to pare down my NW-WM1Z obsession.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #1,722 of 5,808
Now I have to pare down my NW-WM1Z obsession.
If I am not mistaken, such “irritation” could only be satisfied by “listening to WM1Z” or buy it for a period. Otherwise even if you were to buy Superman DAP carved out of Kryptonite, you would still be left wondering how good a WM1Z could sound

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #1,723 of 5,808
If I am not mistaken, such “irritation” could only be satisfied by “listening to WM1Z” or buy it for a period. Otherwise even if you were to buy Superman DAP carved out of Kryptonite, you would still be left wondering how good a WM1Z could sound

I listened to it two years ago in an audio shop in Chicago, Illinois. I used Shure SRH1540 headphones and fell in love with it hard. Just got to get the money together.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,724 of 5,808
I would agree with that. I jumped straight to the SP2000, because I knew if I didn't hear it and own it I would always wonder, so Voila glad I did. Now I dabble in other DAPS. I went through a find the best non-featured, music only DAPs phase, and now I am on the other side, features, give me features.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #1,725 of 5,808
I would agree with that. I jumped straight to the SP2000, because I knew if I didn't hear it and own it I would always wonder, so Voila glad I did. Now I dabble in other DAPS. I went through a find the best non-featured, music only DAPs phase, and now I am on the other side, features, give me features.

I am sure I will try the M8 in time. It is a very sexy player formfactor-wise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back