Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,726 of 5,808
Firmware update for Shanling M8 - V1.22

First big update for M8.

Use OTA update on your player or download update file from Google Drive.(1.2 GB)

New system functions and changes:

1. Adjusted system, additional patch or device registration no longer needed

2. Adjusted battery consumption, especially when device not in use

3. Improved DSD Playback

4. Improved compatibility with high capacity MicroSD cards

5. Fixed compatibility of in-vehicle and prime mode

6. New screenshot method – Slide three fingers on screen to take screenshot

7. Added support of MQA playback, M8 now act as a MQA Full Decoder

Please Note: MQA playback is now available only for local files. Compatibility with Tidal will be enabled after upcoming Tidal app update.

Shanling Music app changes:

1. EQ system now save changes done by user. Added two more custom settings for EQ

2. Currently played song can be deleted directly from Now Playing Screen

3. List of playlists can be sorted alphabetically or by time of creation

4. Folders can be sorted alphabetically, by size or by time of creation

5. Adjusted design of now playing screen

6. Adjusted sorting of Japanese alphabet

7. Improved performance of the widget

8. Improved library scanning

9. Other bug fixes
Hi @Shanling. Just want to send a big Thank You to your development team for fixing the battery consumption when the player is idle. I have tested for two occasions now where I left the M8 idle over night and the battery level remains more or less the same in the mornings! Great work and wishing you and your entire team a Happy Chinese New Year!

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #1,727 of 5,808
The firmware update takes ages... I am on fiber 1GBps so I guess many people are trying to upgrade :p

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #1,728 of 5,808
Now I have to pare down my NW-WM1Z obsession.

But you do realize that 1z is 3200 new and for that money you could buy M30! And you will be in a position where you will have a way stronger sound quality. You will be in the dmp z1 performance territory!

I strongly suggest you to reconsider and revise that 🤠

The firmware update takes ages... I am on fiber 1GBps so I guess many people are trying to upgrade :p

I had the same slow www DL and I was downloading way after everyone was done with it he

Jan 31, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #1,729 of 5,808
But you do realize that 1z is 3200 new and for that money you could buy M30! And you will be in a position where you will have a way stronger sound quality. You will be in the dmp z1 performance territory!

I strongly suggest you to reconsider and revise that 🤠

I had the same slow www DL and I was downloading way after everyone was done with it he

I am sitting tight for a good amount of time. I am 100% portable, so with the m30 the thought of being tied to a desk isn't completely appealing. I can make the LPG sound like other DAPs with the parametric equalizer.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #1,730 of 5,808
I am sitting tight for a good amount of time. I am 100% portable, so with the m30 the thought of being tied to a desk isn't completely appealing. I can make the LPG sound like other DAPs with the parametric equalizer.

M30 is transportable you can carry it in a backpack 🙂

Yes understandable m30 is not a dap and is not advertised so either. Then your bet is only M8 or 1z.

Today I will audition 1z and M8 side by side will do some good comparison and stay tuned I will post it all here 😃

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #1,731 of 5,808
Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,732 of 5,808
M8 wins this one for me on account of its power output and more "muscular-yet-sweet-and-resolving" sound sig.

There is a used one for $1,250 on the forums for sale

Jan 31, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,734 of 5,808
Jan 31, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,735 of 5,808
Sometimes I just need my Analog to bring me that good recording and analog sounds
CE759B34-5729-46E9-8E9A-5E9C2868FE58.jpeg527244FE-14BA-4248-8765-28E1B399AAA2.jpeg

Jan 31, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #1,736 of 5,808
Whatever happened to @Vitaly2017? Wasn't he supposed to go meet up to go listen to the M8 and the 1Z?

Alas, it's hard to come back to reality after listening to these I reckon...

Jan 31, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,737 of 5,808
@Shanling -
Another library scan issue with your sotware, just in case you are not aware:

It is rare, but it is not picking up the "album" tags from some of my DSF files. It then throws them into the "Unknown" album category. I double-checked the tags on my PC and they are there. Deleted the files then reloaded and scanned them (a 30-minute process). No luck. They stilll show up as "unknown album." Strangely enough, when I then inspect the tags through your software, they are present and correct. Below you can see, for example, "09 - Roxy Music" listed under "uknown album." It does not appear with the rest of the DSF files under the appropriate album, "Avalon." Just here:

However, below you can see that the album tag is there and is being read:
Just adding to your list of bugs!
:)

If you can please send me one of such files through PM, will have a look at it.

I have found out that with the new update while yes it has improved speed and snapiness of the M8 but the shanling music app is now doing something that is pushing my usability even to further limits with my problematic low storage problem... As I cannot use my sdcard as a storage reliably cause when you reboot the dap it will switch back to internal storage with spotify.

Now here the problem, when you update the library with shanling music app it will use internal data storage space to index or cache all the library you scan. Yes in my case I have 4000 songs and it has used 3.55 gigs of space to store it... So now I am also forced to reduce my spotify library by 4gigs cause of this as I am other wise unable to use the music app of shanling cause it need the room for indexing.
This is something that was not present previously on the older firmware. And probably why it got faster. Now what will happen to folks with 1tb sd cards ? @Whitigir Or with 50 000 songs? will shanling music app need 50 gig of indexing space?

To see how much much shanling app consumes space go to storage and select apps and you will see the list will show all the apps that takes the most storage space...
@Shanling

Interesting it's taking so much space for you. I have 6000 files and it takes 500MB (which is still a lot, but much better than yours 3.5GB).
Can you try to completely clear all the data of the app (In Android app settings) and do a fresh scan?

Having to use a direct competitor's app must be the ultimate slap in the face for the Shanling software team. :scream:

Until our software team fixes key issues, I will still tell you to install some other app for certain feature.
But this is beauty of Android, everybody has freedom to use whatever app they want.

It's clear they paid a lot more attention to audio engineering than software engineering...which is fine by me. For reference it takes the Shanling app about 20 min to do a library scan...a job that takes the Hiby app about 5 minutes. The issue seems to be at least partly connected to inefficient file indexing...however I have hope that once they sort this out all will be well. None of this detracts much from my enjoyment of the player...which as far as sound is concerned is eminently satisfying.

Shanling been in audio engineering for over 30 years. some of our engineers being with company since beginning.
Software team was established 3 years ago and moved to Android just 2 years ago. They need to catch up.

You can find the M8 offered in Germany: HiFi Passion Shop

I don’t know the shop too well but I recently ordered an audio adapter there. It was shipped quickly within a couple days and perfectly packaged with tracking etc all you can wish for.
HiFi Passion works directly with our German distributor, so it will be the best place to order M8 in Germany.

Yeah, if you want quick update, downloading it from Google drive and copying it onto the player works out to be faster.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #1,738 of 5,808
Whatever happened to @Vitaly2017? Wasn't he supposed to go meet up to go listen to the M8 and the 1Z?

Alas, it's hard to come back to reality after listening to these I reckon...

I just did listen to the wm1z and M8...

My friend left he said he prefers the 3 daps in this order 1z then p6 pro then m8.

I have a different opinion and p6 pro is third in my list lol but I won't say who the #1 yet as I am kinda still figuring it out and I have to say 1z slapped me in tha face lol
So I am under a shock and coming back to reality right now.

Jan 31, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #1,739 of 5,808
I just did listen to the wm1z and M8...

My friend left he said he prefers the 3 daps in this order 1z then p6 pro then m8.

I have a different opinion and p6 pro is third in my list lol but I won't say who the #1 yet as I am kinda still figuring it out and I have to say 1z slapped me in tha face lol
So I am under a shock and coming back to reality right now.

I think there are enough high quality, easy-to-drive headphones out there to make the NW-WM1Z a valid choice. I also think Synergy plays a huge Factor. I tend to gravitate to my LPG and Sony NW - WM1A the most. The resolution of the LPG always blows my mind, but it does get fatiguing after an hour. My mastery of the parametric equalizer is beginning to change that though. I can see that Sony player slapping you in the face. I got a big grin on my face when I first heard it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #1,740 of 5,808
M30 is transportable you can carry it in a backpack 🙂

Yes understandable m30 is not a dap and is not advertised so either. Then your bet is only M8 or 1z.

Today I will audition 1z and M8 side by side will do some good comparison and stay tuned I will post it all here 😃

That's awesome. I just fell in love with the NW-WM1Z using my Shure headphones in balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back