Shanling M6 PRO - New version coming Summer 2021
Jun 22, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #211 of 959
Latest FW and latest player. What do you mean by which DAC? I was trying balanced output.

Sorry, I misread, thought you were using it with USB DAC.

Will look into this issue of volume control in USB DAC mode.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 29, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #213 of 959
Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 29, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #215 of 959
have anyone came form WM1A or WM1Z and would like to express comparison with the M6 Pro ? "From memory" can help too...

M6 pro (early analysis, so take it for what its worth), and I only run balanced: The M6 pro has much better power, far more exciting and energetic playback (could be relative to the significant power increase) versus the wm1a. The amp tuning is that star of the M6 pro, they are neck and neck with the R6 Pro, imo. The M6 pro has the blacker background, no noise at all. Most Shanling devices (this is my 4th) have a very velvet smooth output, that is not the case with this device. The amp is an exciting, toe tapping experience.

Battery life is pretty darn good on the M6 pro, especially if you disable some of the apps. The Play Store mod works fine, although I do wish the device was running Android 9, for security reasons, since you do have to use your google account to verify some apps, while online. The dual DAC chips are clean, but I would have preferred a single 4499, as I can "hear" a difference between the 97 and 99 chips, when using the device is USB DAC mode, vs my desktop setup. Just subjective, no measurements to back up my "hearing". I prefer the 4499 architecture in how it sounds.

The wm1a still has the better software, as the sony OS is just excellent. Man if Shanling can get a contract with Qobuz/Tidal for an app to run on the Shanling non android software that would be PERFECT. The M6 pro is more portable and more ergonomic, feels lighter and better in the hand, the wm1a feels fatter. M6 pro has the better screen. The wifi and bluetooth are both EXCELLENT, far better than the Ibasso devices (wink wink). The processor is snappy, but there are still some slight menu hiccups with NON NATIVE apps (probably because of android 7.1.1). That is the fault of the other programmers not Shanling. The Shanling app works very quickly, I am not the biggest fan on the menus and layouts and file structure though. The synclink option is great though. If you stream, the wm1a is just not applicable in 2020, so I while most of my playback is from my sd card, without streaming, I just don't get paying $1,000 for a wm1a is 2020. offline Tidal is bitperfect, but I don't think MQA works, who cares though. But Ibasso wins in this regards, even the DX160 handles MQA (IF you can get your wifi to work lol).

Stage is about the same, midrange tonality leans towards the M6 pro, as to me the M6 pro focuses it's energy in this area (mainly a function of the chip imo). Treble is about the same, neither of the two devices are what I would call bright. If you want a bright device, I would recommend a DX220 (or DX160). Bass is a win for the M6 pro, again probably more due to power drive, than anything.

No case is included, and at $750, that sucks. The case is very nice, but it costs another $35.

Jun 29, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #216 of 959
Here is where I am not gonna be too useful. I use DAPs for reviewing and listening to my music, pretty much only use them for their sound quality. I dont stream I dont brows the web watch videos or any of that. I have 2 high end computers and a phone for that. As far as I can tell these two are similar in UI performance. I give a slight edge to the M15 for its larger screen and speed but the Shanling is not slow by any means. M15 boots up a bit faster and has a much larger battery and lasts longer by 2-5 hours on a single charge based on how I use it of course.

By the way I tested the battery out so it does seem to corolate to what Shanling claims how long the batty lasts on the single charge. Single ended lasts longer is more silent using sensitive IEMS. 8-9 balanced. 10-12 hours single ended depent on use and type of files your playing.

Both can download apps via google play with no issue. The times I tried connecting to wifi and blutooth had no issues on either. Havent tried video or streaming yet. Been running the Shanling M6 pro with music during my time at work. It is getting a good workout. Used several of my best IEMs to test out the sonic performance. Both DAPs do well with IEMs and head phones and have ample power for more demanding cans. Tested with my Beyer DT1990 pro. Both are equally powerful so no issues there and both are dead silent using senstive IEMs.

I will tell you guys however. Fiio M15 is not really portable for two very important reasons. Even though it is about the same size physically as the Shanling M6 pro however it's weight alone will deter people from pocketing it. It has a battery double the size of the Shanling and needs a lot of current to feed the 10 op amps and AK4499 dac chips. Which leads me to the main reason why the Fiio M15 is not portable. The thing heats up it is documented that the player is using a lot of high end components the need a lot of power, hence the big battery. With summer around the corner. There is no way I would have that player in my pocket listening even walking or doing outdoor chores. No possible way. It is more of a portable stationary unit more so than actually being pocketable. The heat is there all the time be it single or balanced being worse dont matter. The cost of using the components. Which leads me to what you guys wanted to read about the SQ

Shanling M6 pro has a phenominal sound quality. Absolute best I have heard from the group however it is not quite at the M15 level sonically. Just guessing but I will assume since the M11 pros use the same dac chips the M6 pro will probably be at a more similar level to that player than the M15.

M15 has a more spacious presentation and has better dynamics, a bolder deeper bass impact with a bit wider stage. Mids have a lushness to it that makes vocals sound surreal. Treble is nuonced and is very clean. SQ of the Fiio M15 is the real deal but needs a good 100 hours plus for it to truly show how good the SQ gets.

I am not quite done with running in the Shanling M6 pro but its sonic foundation is a more neutral signature and is not quite as dynamic sounding as the Fiio M15 especially in the bass region. But you gotta remember I am comparing a player that cost almost half the cost of the Fiio flagship so it would most definitely be something if the Shanling M6 pro was at a similar level sonically.

This being said if you guys are familiar with any of the previous Shanling daps. The singature reminds me more of the Shanling M3s more so than the M5s. Which had a different tuning. Sound of the Shanling M6pro is detailed in the right way and has full on layered sound presentation that you can only get with this level of player. I would imagine this player trading punches with the more expensive AK players using the same DAC chips. The mids of the M6 pro is smooth yet very articulate. Has excellent dynamism. Music just flows. No part of the sonic performance on the dap outweighs the other parts. Very balanced and even presentation. Reference in that regard. Everything I tried on the Shanling M6 pro sounds fantastic on it so it is a singnature that is very versatile for a source.

Fiio M15 is a bit Bass biased. Shanling is more even tuned. Stage I found to be farily close as both are very wide sounding but looses out to the Fiio in depth and height of sound. Sound enjoyment I would clearly put the Shanling M6 pro right up there with my Fiio to be honest. Especailly due to the fact that I can carry this player around without worrying about heat or being too heavy. Even though I consider my Fiio M15 tops in sound quality. I will most definitley use the Shanling M6 pro more and the fact that I am not loosing out on sound quality much. Its got it's own sound profile that is as complete, energetic and refined as it is going to get for a truely portable system.

Shanling M6 pro. Highly recommended. It is solid in all fronts as far as I can tell. Will have more to say once I get into it more over time. Excuse the long arse post. Lol.
Thanks a lot for all your impressions. I'm in the market for a DAP. I sold my Kann Cube recently. I really liked that DAP a lot but the size and lack of 4.4 ended up being a deal breaker.

After a bit more time, do you have more of an idea of the differences between the M6 Pro and M15?

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #217 of 959
Ya I use my Shanling M6 pro 70% and my Fiio M15 30%.

The change for me is just how musical and full bodied the sound has become. Burn in is for real on these players. I reread what I initially wrote in comparison between these two and they still apply but my Shanling M6 pro definitely has increased in dyanamic qualities, fuller more involved bass end. Slight uptick in warmth due to the added dynanism. The body of sound is even more dimensional now. It has well over 300 plus hours of use so it is fully burned in now. It sounds superb.

It is not exactly at the M15 level but unless you have one and did a head to head comparison your not gonna care what the Fiio M15 sounds like. I enjoy each player for what they do but truth be told I carry around my Shanling M6 pro.

not so much the Fiio. It dont help that the case I orderd for my M15 I ordered a month ago still hasent gotten to me. Mail in the US now is in shambles.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #218 of 959
Ya I use my Shanling M6 pro 70% and my Fiio M15 30%.

The change for me is just how musical and full bodied the sound has become. Burn in is for real on these players. I reread what I initially wrote in comparison between these two and they still apply but my Shanling M6 pro definitely has increased in dyanamic qualities, fuller more involved bass end. Slight uptick in warmth due to the added dynanism. The body of sound is even more dimensional now. It has well over 300 plus hours of use so it is fully burned in now. It sounds superb.

It is not exactly at the M15 level but unless you have one and did a head to head comparison your not gonna care what the Fiio M15 sounds like. I enjoy each player for what they do but truth be told I carry around my Shanling M6 pro.

not so much the Fiio. It dont help that the case I orderd for my M15 I ordered a month ago still hasent gotten to me. Mail in the US now is in shambles.
Awesome, thanks! I can have a nice pair of IEMs and the M6 for the cost of the M15. I think the only thing really missing the MQA support but that is not that big for me.

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #219 of 959
Your not gonna care once you hear how great your old 320 bit rate MP3 files sound on it. Lol.

If you never had a Shanling player before. These guys know their sound. I own 3 of their player and was extremely happy with all 3. Reason why I bought the M6 pro blind with no review. I didnt have to worry about SQ. I can argue has a better bang for buck SQ than anything else in the price range.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #220 of 959
Your not gonna care once you hear how great your old 320 bit rate MP3 files sound on it. Lol.
Do you have any experience with the M11 Pro?

Jun 29, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #222 of 959
Jun 30, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #223 of 959
I just got my M6 pro and spent at least 8 hours listening to it today...trust me you won't be disappointed. Everything on it just sounds amazing! It makes my Auteur shine like no other desktop amp even could...I'm speechless. I haven't even done the update yet because I'm too scared to change anything at all XD

Edit: This is on SINGLE ENDED. Never have I heard SE output this good

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #225 of 959
One issue I am having is my laptop does not recognize it as a USB DAC. It shows up in device manager as USB Composite Device and work start properly on Windows 10.

try installing the USB driver

http://en.shanling.com/category/395

not my link, if this is an old driver (3-2020) ask the Shanling rep for a newer driver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back