Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Mar 20, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #1,936 of 2,497
The screen displays blacks accurately (which is usually the measure of a good screen) has good viewing angles and represents other colors accurately. I can't really complain about it. And again it is far better than the Fiio M6 and Fiio M9 screen. Blacks on both those devices were more of a charcoal grey than black.

what do you think about the M9 vs M5s? which Dap do you prefer overall?

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #1,938 of 2,497
I can't imagine having that much stuff sitting out on my table at a cafe or coffee shop.

A couple of my local cafes are proper work spaces where you get a hot desk to work from for the day.

I definitely wouldn’t whip this lot out in a Starbucks!!! :p

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #1,941 of 2,497
This is interesting... 2nd best overal DAP..:jecklinsmile:

Nothing against Shanling in this case, but the website you're referring to is a known low credibility click-bait site filled with amazon affiliate links they make money off.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #1,942 of 2,497
Nothing against Shanling in this case, but the website you're referring to is a known low credibility click-bait site filled with amazon affiliate links they make money off.

Agree on the click bait. I have owned both the M9 and the M5s and the M5s sounds way better. So much so that I sold the M9. I also didn't like the screen, shape of the body nor having the buttons on the left hand side of the M9. It just felt weird in the hand and I was constantly hitting a button by accident.

Mar 21, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,944 of 2,497
Well, they are saying that in the list. I they also say Plenue D2 sounds better than M5s and N5iis ...

I used to buy Cowon players when I lived in Japan (2004-2009). They've made so many garbage products since that time I have a hard time believing they've improved the quality of their products, customer service, software, screen quality, etc... Whenever I read a review praising their products I have a hard time believing it as I have a long history with them and its not a positive one.

Mar 21, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,946 of 2,497
Any update regarding USB dac delay? I remember you said a while ago that you are aware of this issue, but no action has been taken since then :frowning2: It's unusable as a dac as of right now for me.

Unfortunately no update so far.

@Shanling : If I copy exactly all files/folder from my existing card to a new larger card, will all the playlitsts and favorite songs be saved? Thank you!

Yes, it should work, if all files and folder stays with same names and in same positions.

I received my M5s, so far I can say it is so beauty... and the sound is great. Overall Im happy with it.

Besides all the good things I just have 2 big complaints:

1.- screen resolution: I know this is a matter of "where they can cut cost" in order to present the best sounding dap at the lowest price.... and the screen is an ideal saving as it has nothing to do with sound. But I would had liked to see a better screen on this one
2.- I like to listen music resting in my bed at night.... so I use a lot the side buttons. I find the forward/reward mechanism super bad implemented... its like if I press but no so long (I mean, longer than just a tap, but not a 3 seconds long for example), it executes the next/previous song... this is annoying if I want to re-listen just the last 5 seconds... cause if I press longer I will have to relisten like the last minute. I think the mechanism is not well implemented and may be can be improved by firmware update (someone else agree or it is just me?) @Shanling

1 - This was discussed few times before, unfortunately we are limited not only by budget, but also by market availability.
2 - If I understand you correctly, for you the rewind goes way too quickly? Correct?

@Shanling on the balanced output the pleyer gets very hot ...will not overheat? does he have any security?

In balanced mode, double of audio circuit is being activated, which leads to more produced heat. But no worries, it will not overheat.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 22, 2019 at 4:02 AM Post #1,947 of 2,497
2 - If I understand you correctly, for you the rewind goes way too quickly? Correct?
He wants to skip backwards for just a few seconds. Perhaps he is using it to write up or type up dictation.

This conflicts with the other use of the icon. When a 'tap' is detected, M5s jumps back one track. M5s allows for quite a long tap so it is not possible to do a very short skip.

Edit: perhaps backwards skip could start slowly and then speed up.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #1,948 of 2,497
He wants to skip backwards for just a few seconds. Perhaps he is using it to write up or type up dictation.

This conflicts with the other use of the icon. When a 'tap' is detected, M5s jumps back one track. M5s allows for quite a long tap so it is not possible to do a very short skip.

Edit: perhaps backwards skip could start slowly and then speed up.

Exactly, and the same for forward (both on physical side buttons)

in a table, what is happening now: (the same in forward button)

1.- user tap back button
Result: song starts again from the beginning
2.- user tap and hold for a little time
Result: song starts again from the beginning
3.- user tap and hold a couple of seconds (longer than the previous case)
Result: The song rewinds seconds depending on how long the user was holding the button

All of this is happening while the music is still playing. There's no signal than the user is doing something until the user release the button, then the effect is as described before.

now, in this other table, what should be happening (in my opinion of course)

1.- user tap back button
Result: song starts again from the beginning (OK)
2.- user tap and hold for a little time
Result: The song rewinds seconds depending on how long the user was holding the button (should be just a couple of seconds in the song)
3.- user tap and hold a couple of seconds (longer than the previous case)
Result: The song rewinds seconds depending on how long the user was holding the button

All of this should be happening with some sign from the player of what the user is doing, for example, mute the song while the user is rewinding or forwarding.

This is of course my recommendation or what I would want from a player. The current implementation is not of my liking.

But again, there's no perfect player no matter the price, and I think M5s is great and beauty. I know a lot of people are reading this thread because they are still deciding between this and the similar offer than other brands have. Listen to me, go with Shanling... they had the personality to create the Mtouch System and they did it very well. It is just amazing how a company, without the numbers of Sony and Apple, can bring to us a product of this quality without using the focking and ugly Android.... bravo Shanling

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #1,949 of 2,497
I'm interested in this player and have a couple of questions.

How does the M5s compare to the Opus #1? A brief comparison of sound signature in general would be very nice.

Does it have enough power for the HD800S and HE560 and how's the pairing with these two headphones?

Last but not least @twister6 how far away is your review buddy?

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #1,950 of 2,497
I can't speak to the HD800 or HE560 but I have the HD6XX and HE400i and it powers them just fine. The volume level is getting up there but no clipping. I am also running both of those in balanced mode...love the signature from this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back