Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Mar 12, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #1,921 of 2,497
Hi guys, ever since i got this N8 my M5s hasn't been getting much attention.
In my signature is a link if anyone is interested. Its like new! DM me for any questions.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #1,923 of 2,497
N8 is a lot more expensive and its not fair to compare with M5S, now, it is worth really? There is a lot of difference? What are your thoughts?

Hi, great question. Please note that I don't use a lot of the audiophile jargon you hear in reviews. My description is from a casual point of view and i strongly feel that describing sound is very subjective. With that said, the N8 really has more separation, soundstage, profound bass, and cleaner equalization vs the M5S. The tubes make all the difference in this comparison. I really cant say if the sound is warm or whatever else people say here, but to my ears I'm very satisfied. Great community as well! The price tag is well worth it to me.

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:06 AM Post #1,924 of 2,497
Not sure if if it's just my unit, but I've experienced considerably faster battery drain on v.2.2 over past firmwares with the balanced Meze 99 Classics. Not sure if it affects the 3.5mm since I've only tried the balanced output as of yet.

Then again, I went overseas recently and have not used my device for a week or so, so could that be the culprit? I did charge it fully before downloading the firmware and booting the device up just so you know.

Mar 17, 2019 at 9:28 PM Post #1,926 of 2,497
@Shanling : do you plan to implement DSP equalizer for future FW? Btw, I saw the new icons and volume animiation in your new Shanling M2x. Will you apply those fancy things to M5s future FW ?

Advanced EQ, including DSP, is planned as future firmware update. We are working with companies specializing on this segment to implement it into our system.
Yes, all new improvements from M2x will be ported to M5s.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 18, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,928 of 2,497
Advanced EQ, including DSP, is planned as future firmware update. We are working with companies specializing on this segment to implement it into our system.
Yes, all new improvements from M2x will be ported to M5s.
Any update regarding USB dac delay? I remember you said a while ago that you are aware of this issue, but no action has been taken since then :frowning2: It's unusable as a dac as of right now for me.

Mar 20, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #1,930 of 2,497
I received my M5s, so far I can say it is so beauty... and the sound is great. Overall Im happy with it.

Besides all the good things I just have 2 big complaints:

1.- screen resolution: I know this is a matter of "where they can cut cost" in order to present the best sounding dap at the lowest price.... and the screen is an ideal saving as it has nothing to do with sound. But I would had liked to see a better screen on this one
2.- I like to listen music resting in my bed at night.... so I use a lot the side buttons. I find the forward/reward mechanism super bad implemented... its like if I press but no so long (I mean, longer than just a tap, but not a 3 seconds long for example), it executes the next/previous song... this is annoying if I want to re-listen just the last 5 seconds... cause if I press longer I will have to relisten like the last minute. I think the mechanism is not well implemented and may be can be improved by firmware update (someone else agree or it is just me?) @Shanling

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 6:19 AM Post #1,931 of 2,497
Loving this for my portable 'working from a cafe' setup: MacBook Pro > Roon > Shanling M5s (balanced line out) > iFi xCan (balanced input) > iFi IEMatch 2.5 > Campfire Solaris (Super Litz 2.5) :ksc75smile:

IMG_3985.jpg

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #1,932 of 2,497
I received my M5s, so far I can say it is so beauty... and the sound is great. Overall Im happy with it.

Besides all the good things I just have 2 big complaints:

1.- screen resolution: I know this is a matter of "where they can cut cost" in order to present the best sounding dap at the lowest price.... and the screen is an ideal saving as it has nothing to do with sound. But come on.... this is the flagship, this screen looks like a 1997 device... I would pay more for a better screen. Please dont cut on resolution in next expensive models (I know this is not a $3000 dap.... but 400 US$ is expensive for 99% of the world)

2.- I like to listen music resting in my bed at night.... so I use a lot the side buttons. I find the forward/reward mechanism super bad implemented... its like if I press but no so long (I mean, longer than just a tap, but not a 3 seconds long for example), it executes the next/previous song... this is annoying if I want to re-listen just the last 5 seconds... cause if I press longer I will have to relisten like the last minute. I think the mechanism is not well implemented and may be can be improved by firmware update (someone else agree or it is just me?) @Shanling

I'm sorry but I think your comments of the screen quality is a gross mischaracterization of the screen quality. Is it jaw dropping great, no but it is of far better quality than a lot of DAP's I have purchased this year (Fiio M6, Fiio M9) and dozens of other players I have owned over the years

Mar 20, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #1,933 of 2,497
I'm sorry but I think your comments of the screen quality is a gross mischaracterization of the screen quality. Is it jaw dropping great, no but it is of far better quality than a lot of DAP's I have purchased this year (Fiio M6, Fiio M9) and dozens of other players I have owned over the years

I agree with you, may be I was unfair with my comment (I edited it quite a bit). It is just that Im an iPhone user and Im used to that screen.... of course is an unfair comparison. I haven't had other player so I couldn't compare with the objective rivals (Just Cayin N3... but thats not even touch screen)

Mar 20, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,935 of 2,497
I agree with you, may be I was unfair with my comment (I edited it quite a bit). It is just that Im an iPhone user and Im used to that screen.... of course is an unfair comparison. I haven't had other player so I couldn't compare with the objective rivals (Just Cayin N3... but thats not even touch screen)

The screen displays blacks accurately (which is usually the measure of a good screen) has good viewing angles and represents other colors accurately. I can't really complain about it. And again it is far better than the Fiio M6 and Fiio M9 screen. Blacks on both those devices were more of a charcoal grey than black.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back