Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Mar 5, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,906 of 2,497
Image-1.jpg
Now I see it, it's at the bottom of the list. Thanks! I had been creating artist playlists to be able to do that before and it was a pain. The one feature that I am missing from my iPhone/ipod music application the most is the ability to while listening to music on shuffle is to be able to click on the track and it give me the option to "Go to Album or Go to Artist". I always found this nice when I stumbled upon a song that was on an album I hadn't listened to in a long time to be able to just jump in to the album and listen to it. On the M5s it takes a lot more clicks to do this and that kind of sucks.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #1,907 of 2,497
I'm using the M5s for two days now and I'm having a few issues;

If I skip a song (flac) the player gives a plop through the output(s) before playing a song. This is hearable on my in-ears, my over-ears and my amp, this isn't audible when the player moves on to the next song itself, only when I skip myself or choose another song.

The player crashed a couple of times for no reason, first I thought the file was corrupt but this happened also with known to be good files :frowning2:

There are coming a few tic noises from the player when booting up? Which is strange since there are no moving parts.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:56 AM Post #1,908 of 2,497

If I skip a song (flac) the player gives a plop through the output(s) before playing a song. This is hearable on my in-ears, my over-ears and my amp, this isn't audible when the player moves on to the next song itself, only when I skip myself or choose another song.

The player crashed a couple of times for no reason, first I thought the file was corrupt but this happened also with known to be good files :frowning2:

There are coming a few tic noises from the player when booting up? Which is strange since there are no moving parts.

I don't have any issues with FLAC files. What version of software are you running? I asked Shanling about the clicking noise as it sounded like a relay to me and I thought the same thing and they told me the clicking noise is a protective relay for the analog circuits.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #1,910 of 2,497
I don't have any issues with FLAC files. What version of software are you running? I asked Shanling about the clicking noise as it sounded like a relay to me and I thought the same thing and they told me the clicking noise is a protective relay for the analog circuits.

I run version 2.2, was also audible on the previous version. I guess you mean the boot clicking noise? No one is having the plopping sound when skipping songs?

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,911 of 2,497
I run version 2.2, was also audible on the previous version. I guess you mean the boot clicking noise? No one is having the plopping sound when skipping songs?

Yes I am referring to the clicking noise when it boots and when it shuts down. The only audio issue I had was the volume issue in the 2.1 software. I downgraded to 2.0 and am now at 2.2.

Mar 7, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #1,912 of 2,497
Same here . The only click I get is on powering up and even on fw 2.2 have experienced no skipping or volume issues. I live this DAP but must I do patiently await an improved EQ ☺. They'll get to it. It has been encouraging to watch how @Shanling has engaged, responded and addressed the community here. Even when isolated issues have cropped up they worked hard to reproduce that which was seldom reported in order to create a solution. I've been very impressed. I had an Astell & Kern and while they make great, albeit expensive players I never saw them engage with their customers or community

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,913 of 2,497

Yes, there might be slight "pop noise" when skipping from song to song. Different people with different headphones will notice it differently.
Is it causing any issues?

For the crashes, if you can figure out some pattern what is causing them, we can try to replicate them and fix them.

Noises coming from player are coming from parts of audio circuit, they are normal and nothing to worry about.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 8, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #1,914 of 2,497
Yes, there might be slight "pop noise" when skipping from song to song. Different people with different headphones will notice it differently.
Is it causing any issues?

For the crashes, if you can figure out some pattern what is causing them, we can try to replicate them and fix them.

Noises coming from player are coming from parts of audio circuit, they are normal and nothing to worry about.

I noticed a slight difference in the "pop noise" when changing to another headphone and on my amp it's barely audible but still there, not really an issue though just something I noticed while playing with my new toy :) Since yesterday no crashes, if it happens again I will try to replicate it...

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #1,915 of 2,497
Can anyone tell me how is the sound compared to Sony ZX300 and Astell&Kern ak300 ? i am lost between these three . my first priority is SQ purely . don't care about anything else.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #1,918 of 2,497
I'd say its beteen the ZX300 and the M5s. With the M5s you will also have more filters to choose from on the AK4493 DAC. The M5s is using 2 of these later gen DACs which replaced the AK4490 used by the AK300 (Single DAC)

On the ZX300, you have filters and the nice DSP options like vinyl processor.

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:45 AM Post #1,919 of 2,497
I'd say its beteen the ZX300 and the M5s. With the M5s you will also have more filters to choose from on the AK4493 DAC. The M5s is using 2 of these later gen DACs which replaced the AK4490 used by the AK300 (Single DAC)

On the ZX300, you have filters and the nice DSP options like vinyl processor.
Nice, how it compares to Plenue 1 ? without EQ of course . i hear somewhere that they both share the same tonality . is it true?

Mar 11, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #1,920 of 2,497
Is it possible that not the player itself is improving with longer playtime but the ears are just adjusting to the new sound? :grin:

The only way to find out is doing A/B listening between your burnt-in dap and another new out of the box one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back