Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Dec 20, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #1,279 of 2,497
@twister6 any chance of getting a brief comparison to the DX120?

Just did a quick a/b comparison between DX120 and M5s with Solaris, since I had that one next to me. Right off the bat, with Solaris being a typical sensitive Campfire audio iem I'm looking at hissing, and M5s is very quiet while DX120 has a rather noticeable hissing. Soundstage, M5s is a little wider. Tonality, DX120 is more neutral and more resolving while M5s is warmer and more natural/musical. Also, in this particular pair up with Solaris, I hear a more neutral bass with DX120 while with M5s the sub-bass rumble and mid-bass punch is higher in quantity. If you have sensitive iems, M5s is a better choice. If you have brighter, harsher iems, M5s could tame them down. If you want a more neutral less colored source, DX120 is a better choice, plus DX120 has dual uSD for those who have a large DSD files library. At the same time, no bluetooth with dx120 so you can't use it as a wireless dac for your smartphone, and no built in apps supported. Though, I never heard AK70ii or SR15, from some descriptions of those AK daps it makes me wonder if M5s will be a good match to go against it.

Dec 20, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #1,281 of 2,497
My impression from other reviews was that M5s is in the same class as DX150, maybe a bit better. But different tonality. So DX120 is likely to be a step down...

Dx120 sounds better than dx150 with amp6 to my ear in terms of technicalities but also they have completety different sound signature.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #1,286 of 2,497
Thanks @twister6. Now I just need to decide to keep the DX120 or get the M5S, which I'm leaning towards the latter. Still not ruling out the HiBy R6, though. Decisions, decisions! I really Enjoy your reviews.

In M5s vs R6, M5s has a warmer sound and more bass punch, while R6 is more revealing, brighter, and has more neutral bass. Don't forget R6 has high output impedance, but it also has full android OS with Google Play, though M5s will add streaming apps. R6 Pro will fix output impedance (will be low), but the price goes up, bigger gap with M5s, especially if you consider that upcoming musicteck sale. There are pros and cons on each side man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back