Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Oct 15, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #736 of 2,497
I am not a DLNA expert either....so this means that the M5S cant pull music, instead another device/software needs to push the music?? Does this involve possibly "casting " music to it?

Anyone know what type of software on a PCor phone would be able to send music to it if I wanted to set up something at home that would work with the M5S??

This is not my understanding. I was led to believe by comments from Shanling two things about the M5S:

1. Will be a full DLNA client

2. Will not require an application on a phone in order to play DLNA.

With those said, let me explain more about DLNA. DLNA is a client server system. So somewhere there must be a DLNA server that has access to a collection of music. DLNA servers read the tags of the music and offer music by Album, Artist, and other ways. They typically also offer the music by folder.

A DLNA client that has a connection to a DLNA server can PULL and PLAY music from that DLNA server. DLNA servers are very easy to setup, and there are a lot of free ones floating around out there for usage. If you know about Plex Server, which is not free, it offers a DLNA server implementation. These days lots of HDTV's will also connect to DLNA servers to play music .. probably not widely used however, since most speakers in HDTV's are not very high quality.

The folks had Hiby "Polluted" the paradigm of how DLNA works by requiring you run an intermediate application on your smartphone to receive the DLNA served music, and push it to your phone. For Hiby devices, they do not support DLNA directly. Although they easily could, since they have WiFi built into them.

It is my understanding from Shanling that the M5s is a full DLNA implementation, and so it can play music directly from a DLNA server. If it does not work that way, it will be a purchase show stopper for me.

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #738 of 2,497
It is my understanding from Shanling that the M5s is a full DLNA implementation, and so it can play music directly from a DLNA server. If it does not work that way, it will be a purchase show stopper for me.

Read post 733 on previous page, M5s doesn’t have full DLNA functions and now works only as a renderer, like Hiby R3...

Oct 15, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #739 of 2,497
Read post 733 on previous page, M5s doesn’t have full DLNA functions and now works only as a renderer, like Hiby R3...

That is sad ... very sad, makes me think they are using some Hiby software components in their mix. That is not what they originally told me, but if that is true, that make my NO PURCHASE decision academic! I can install a full DLNA app on any Android based player, including the FIIO X5iii (I've tried it). I am not spending $429 on a device that *requires* my phone to enable all of it's functionality.

Oct 15, 2018 at 5:33 PM Post #740 of 2,497
Currently only standard EQ.

But we are working on getting some advanced EQ/DSP. We already tried some from smaller companies, but either got no really significant effect or even negative impact on sound. We are reaching out to more companies and hopefully we will hear back from them.

That's good to hear, in my opinion these processing options are excellent and a big reason to have a DAP. MSEB in particular is great. Right now it's my only hesitation (yes, I already pre-ordered). Weird to hear you say the options you've looked into had minimal impact. MSEB in particular totally changes the character of the sound, far more than EQ....

A DAP at this price really should have something like it nowadays. I hope you get something good implemented quickly and spread it across your devices.

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #741 of 2,497
I am not a DLNA expert either....so this means that the M5S cant pull music, instead another device/software needs to push the music?? Does this involve possibly "casting " music to it?

Anyone know what type of software on a PCor phone would be able to send music to it if I wanted to set up something at home that would work with the M5S??

Yes, you need separate program, either on your Computer or phone, to send the music to M5s.

For PC, I did quick test with Foobar, worked fine. On Android, downloaded first random DLNA app I found in Google Play, BubbleUPnP, also working alright. And I believe there are tons of others.

Do you have one in Czech Republic?

http://headphones.cz/inshop/ is our distributor in Czech Republic

That is sad ... very sad, makes me think they are using some Hiby software components in their mix. That is not what they originally told me, but if that is true, that make my NO PURCHASE decision academic! I can install a full DLNA app on any Android based player, including the FIIO X5iii (I've tried it). I am not spending $429 on a device that *requires* my phone to enable all of it's functionality.

No, it has nothing to do with HiBY. I will ask little bit more later today, why such decision was taken.

Sorry for any early confusion, probably some misunderstanding between me and our software team.

That's good to hear, in my opinion these processing options are excellent and a big reason to have a DAP. MSEB in particular is great. Right now it's my only hesitation (yes, I already pre-ordered). Weird to hear you say the options you've looked into had minimal impact. MSEB in particular totally changes the character of the sound, far more than EQ....

A DAP at this price really should have something like it nowadays. I hope you get something good implemented quickly and spread it across your devices.

Opinions on EQ and DSP in audiophile world differs, many hates them and never uses them, me included. Be we understand part of users would like to see something like that.

We tried few implementations, some had minimal impact, some were simply bad(to our ears).

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 16, 2018 at 1:27 AM Post #742 of 2,497
I won't get into the EQ/DSP versus purity debate, but I'd think the percentage of DAP users who enjoy using that kind of stuff is a lot higher than those who use other means to listen to their music.

Its become a big reason why I prefer using a DAP versus DAC/amp setups.

Oct 16, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #743 of 2,497
Yes, you need separate program, either on your Computer or phone, to send the music to M5s.

For PC, I did quick test with Foobar, worked fine. On Android, downloaded first random DLNA app I found in Google Play, BubbleUPnP, also working alright. And I believe there are tons of others.

That's great, but what does this really buy you? You can plug your headphones directly into your phone, use a DLNA app, and save yourself $429. Since this unit has WiFi the additional different in code would be minimal on the device. Nope, till the M5s does the full DLNA client, I will be saving my money for a device that does ...

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #744 of 2,497
If you need an app on your phone to send music to your DAP, then the DAP itself doesn't support DLNA. Same thing for Airplay.
I have a NAS that act as DLNA and Airplay server. The DAP need to be able to connect to the server directly.
It's such a misleading feature.

Oct 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #745 of 2,497
That's great, but what does this really buy you? You can plug your headphones directly into your phone, use a DLNA app, and save yourself $429. Since this unit has WiFi the additional different in code would be minimal on the device. Nope, till the M5s does the full DLNA client, I will be saving my money for a device that does ...

If you believe your phone can sound as good as M5s, then yes, you can be happy just with your phone..

As you said, on your phone you need to download DLNA app. For our system, we would need to completely develop such function, or at least try to convert some already existing app. So not really yours "additional different in code would be minimal".

Will it come in future in M5s system? Hopefully yes.

If you need an app on your phone to send music to your DAP, then the DAP itself doesn't support DLNA. Same thing for Airplay.
I have a NAS that act as DLNA and Airplay server. The DAP need to be able to connect to the server directly.
It's such a misleading feature.

At current state, M5s supports DLNA and Airplay in similar way how many AV Receivers and wireless speakers do. Would the direct access to servers from M5s be even better? Definitely. But even at current state, it allows you to use it in many scenarios with high quality streaming from any of your other devices.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #746 of 2,497
Dunno. It's a DAP, so maybe good sound quality?

Oct 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #747 of 2,497
Dunno. It's a DAP, so maybe good sound quality?

OK, so it renders the DLNA audio on the phone, and delivers it to the player via Bluetooth. Do you really expect a significant audio quality bump? Maybe some, but IMHO not a lot. Receiving the digital bits on the device of the audio, and decoding them on board, that would ensure better audio quality. For my $429, I will wait for a device that read/decode/render the audio on the device.

Oct 17, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #748 of 2,497
OK, so it renders the DLNA audio on the phone, and delivers it to the player via Bluetooth. Do you really expect a significant audio quality bump? Maybe some, but IMHO not a lot. Receiving the digital bits on the device of the audio, and decoding them on board, that would ensure better audio quality. For my $429, I will wait for a device that read/decode/render the audio on the device.
I couldn't care less about this DLNA thing.
I'm talking about good old way of listening music with offline files. Call me old fashion, that was the good sound quality I was referring to.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #749 of 2,497
I couldn't care less about this DLNA thing.
I'm talking about good old way of listening music with offline files. Call me old fashion, that was the good sound quality I was referring to.

I completely understand. For me, my music library has grown to 6TB of various bit-rate FLAC and DSD. No doubt the M5s will play these files quite well from the memory card. What is the max of a card? 1TB maybe .. The case for playing from a server gets very interesting in this scenario...

Oct 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #750 of 2,497
I completely understand. For me, my music library has grown to 6TB of various bit-rate FLAC and DSD. No doubt the M5s will play these files quite well from the memory card. What is the max of a card? 1TB maybe .. The case for playing from a server gets very interesting in this scenario...
Yeah, if you actually listen to all that 6TB library of yours, then this DLNA should be your thing.
Me? I like to have my music files inside my player, converted by the DAC chips, then shoot through the AMP chips and go directly to my transducers. That's why a DAP with good sound quality and affordable would be my first and ultimate reason when I'm looking for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back