Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Aug 26, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #301 of 2,497
really? they don't provide with digital line out like the r3?
I'm not sure what you mean by a "digital line out", but Shanling provide a digital data stream via the USB-C port, which can be fed to an external DAC for conversion: the point I wanted to make was that a USB-C port can also output a line level, analogue signal.

Is this suppose to compete with the FiiO x5 iii
I'd expect the M5s to be superior to the X5 mkIII, from a sonic standpoint at least.

Aug 26, 2018 at 7:03 AM Post #302 of 2,497
I'm not sure what you mean by a "digital line out", but Shanling provide a digital data stream via the USB-C port, which can be fed to an external DAC for conversion: the point I wanted to make was that a USB-C port can also output a line level, analogue signal.
Yes that was what I was asking. Thanks for clarifying.

Aug 26, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #304 of 2,497
Just in time for the Mobius to come out. I’m slowly getting comfortable with Bluetooth audio. Very curious about the release date and perhaps a matched LDAC-compatible IEM?

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #305 of 2,497
What else are we getting over the m3s other than more power in balanced, touch screen, and dual SD card slots? If you guessed I haven't read the entire thread, than you've guessed correctly. Has the price been announced yet?

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #306 of 2,497
What else are we getting over the m3s other than more power in balanced, touch screen, and dual SD card slots? If you guessed I haven't read the entire thread, than you've guessed correctly. Has the price been announced yet?
no price announcement for the dap unfortunately. But I haven't seen a single post by shanling saying dual memory card slot. Did they tell it somewhere? I haven't noticed it.

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #307 of 2,497
no price announcement for the dap unfortunately. But I haven't seen a single post by shanling saying dual memory card slot. Did they tell it somewhere? I haven't noticed it.
You're right. Single card slot. I was looking on their FB page. It says this device is using new dac chips as well. Anything else I'm missing?

Aug 26, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #308 of 2,497
You're right. Single card slot. I was looking on their FB page. It says this device is using new dac chips as well. Anything else I'm missing?
nope, you haven't missed anything then

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:58 AM Post #310 of 2,497
@Shanling will this have a Line-out? Thanks

Available line-out mode in settings, no dedicated line-out connector.

really? they don't provide with digital line out like the r3?

M5s has digital output over USB like other Shanling DAPs.

It's a pity Shanling don't fully exploit the USB-C interface; they provide digital out, for use with an external DAC, but if their devices supported audio adapter accessory mode, it could be possible to extract a line level analogue output as well.

Not sure what would be the advantage of using analog out over USB-C instead of standard jack?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Aug 27, 2018 at 2:59 AM Post #311 of 2,497
Available line-out mode in settings, no dedicated line-out connector.

M5s has digital output over USB like other Shanling DAPs.

Not sure what would be the advantage of using analog out over USB-C instead of standard jack?
can you declare the expected price for the dap?

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #313 of 2,497
@Shanling

Any reason for not choosing the flagship dac chip ak4497eq for m5s.. is it becasue of power consumption or size limitations?
its more likely due to cost of production. Its as you said : a flagship dac. This dap is more of a budget friendly flagship dap if you know what I mean. The ak4497 is found on daps priced generally over $1000. This one's price is probably going to be below $500 as its the successor of the previous m5 which was priced at $500. I hope this answers your question.

Aug 27, 2018 at 3:55 AM Post #314 of 2,497
its more likely due to cost of production. Its as you said : a flagship dac. This dap is more of a budget friendly flagship dap if you know what I mean. The ak4497 is found on daps priced generally over $1000. This one's price is probably going to be below $500 as its the successor of the previous m5 which was priced at $500. I hope this answers your question.

I don't think price is the reason since companies buy it in large quantities and i don't think it costs that much more to begin with. I think the main reason is either the power or size limitaion.

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #315 of 2,497
I don't think price is the reason since companies buy it in large quantities and i don't think it costs that much more to begin with. I think the main reason is either the power or size limitaion.

AK4493EQ on Digi-Key:

Screenshot_20180827-010220_1.jpg

AK4497EQ on Digi-Key:

Screenshot_20180827-010212_1.jpg

Quite different prices. And don't forget that the M5s uses two of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back