Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Apr 9, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #1,996 of 2,497
exactly that, I listened to music. I pulled the DAP out of my pocket, I changed the song. I locked it and put it back in my pocket. Suddenly after 10s it got to be 100 :frowning2:

Will be on lookout for more reports of this problem.

LOl that's pretty dangerous that the LO option is through the same headphone jack, i suggest @Shanling give an option to activate the LO more securely via password or something , cuz rightnow this setting can be activated in pocket if someone forget to lock screen or just by mistake in settings menu (it can kill someone really if using IEM) . also the confirmation message is not enough.

Anyway what is the point of LO option if we can raise the volume to max anyway since both on the same jack? I would really appreciate if Shanling considers my suggestion seriously thanks.

We feel that having it in settings, needing to click on exact spot in menu and then confirm it, is enough security. Adding more protection for these very rare occasions, while bothering all other users, seems unpractical.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 10, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,997 of 2,497
Will be on lookout for more reports of this problem.

We feel that having it in settings, needing to click on exact spot in menu and then confirm it, is enough security. Adding more protection for these very rare occasions, while bothering all other users, seems unpractical.

Well these rare ocassions even if 1% can still happen and with such powerful amplifier it can really damage ears if a glitch happen in the software. i think replacing the confirmation message with a 3 digite password or even a fixed word won't bother users that much.

Anyway what is he difference between LO and setting volume manually at 100? aren't both proessed on the same circuit and jack port??

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #1,999 of 2,497
Still getting 24hr time on the lock screen after disabling. Also, is anyone still having issues with the volume wheel? The volume jumps all over the place when I use it. Not sure if its a fw or hw issue.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #2,000 of 2,497
@Shanling there is still a random bug: power on device -> play-> press power off buton to turn screen off-> press on again -> lock screen appears -> can not use the side buttons to pause , fw or rw the tracks, only can use the buttons on the loclscreen!

Apr 19, 2019 at 5:23 AM Post #2,002 of 2,497
She sure is a beauty! My thoughts on the M5s. Enjoy. :slight_smile:

4ece3c35602e92d675611988d34b6cf387ca16b28de207f5c46be304bc583195.jpg

Apr 19, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,006 of 2,497
How do you compare Shanling M5s vs Sony ZX300 ?
The Sony has a little extra kick in the bass but apart from that their signatures are very similar. The M5s has a little more depth in its soundstage but they're quite difficult to tell apart from each other when volume matched. I'm talking about the balanced outputs on both too, by the way. The M5s is the only other DAP I have that feels as nicely built as the Sony. Considering the difference in price the M5s performs incredibly well in comparison when it comes to sound.

Apr 19, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #2,007 of 2,497
The Sony has a little extra kick in the bass but apart from that their signatures are very similar.

To my ears they sound not at all similar. The Sony was bass heavy, dull and liveless. M5s is more ´reference´, brighter with a bit ´metallic´ mids an hights and slightly ´musical´. In an absolute sense i would say both do not sound good enough.

Apr 19, 2019 at 11:33 PM Post #2,009 of 2,497
@crabdog thank you. I also have tried the zx300 before buying the Shanling M5s. To me, zx300 sounds a little bit boring and less holographic than the Shanling M5s...
The single-ended output on the ZX300 is pretty ordinary but the 4.4 mm is very good imo. You are right about the M5s stage though, it is very holographic!

Apr 20, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #2,010 of 2,497
Hi, first time commenting. I've been enjoying my M5s but yesterday I encountered a problem when trying to update to firmware 2.3. I downloaded the update, placed it in the root of my SD card and attempted to update. I got a notice that the update failed and now the player is stuck in a boot loop, starting up, stating the update failed and restarting, only to say the same thing. I've tried everything I can think of to stop this loop but it's still stuck, failing to update and restarting, every time. What can I do to fix this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back