Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 10, 2019 at 4:22 AM Post #1,531 of 2,497
<deleted>

I was wanting a NOS option on M5s but I see now looking back that it has the super-slow filter option and, judging by what is written in the ADI2-DAC manual on the subject (also using AK DACs), this is the same thing.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 11:45 AM Post #1,533 of 2,497
I really wanted to give my M5s a 100 hour burning time but after cca 40 hours I just couldn’t resist. Wow this thing sounds lovely! Very musical, analogish, full sound characteristic with absolutely gorgeous trebles. Separation is incredible for a device in this price range. OS is surprisingly mature as well with only a few things to improve. Great great work Shanling, from now on you are on my “keep an eye on” list.

Jan 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #1,534 of 2,497
So what color of M5s you ordered finally? Both titan and black color look elegant but I chose black. My M3s is a titan grey and I just want something different:boy:

I just pulled the order-button a few minutes ago and i have chosen the Limited Alpina White Edition.

***ERROR DETECTED***

...the black version will be delivered instead :wink:

The outside notch containing the precious hardware buttons always reminded me of the black WM1A.

I really wanted to give my M5s a 100 hour burning time but after cca 40 hours I just couldn’t resist.

Thats too bad. Now you stopped the burn-in process you will only experience 40% of the soundquality... just joking :grimacing:
I have my own "burn-in technique". I load music into the player, plugin my headphone and listen to the music. So my ears have the pleasure to accompany the virgin sound performance all the way to the adulthood. :baby: ... :man_dancing:... :man_in_tuxedo:

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #1,535 of 2,497
All these comments about reviews are why I don't give them any credence. All reviewers have their preferences and any DAP that doesn't match it perfectly won't score well. Not to mention with such a huge range of headphones out there unless they are using the same headphones you do it isn't necessarily relevant to you. The only reviews I trust completely are my own with my headphones and my music. That is why I generally don't ask people on these threads for their sound impressions. This is why I will be so disappointed if the M5S does not make it to Canada. I think this is one DAP I really need to hear before I buy given how much it will cost especially to import. I am not sure at this point if the description I am hearing about the sound gells with what I am looking for so I have to hear it before I buy it.

Jan 10, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #1,536 of 2,497
I just ordered one. I’m too curious and the sound impressions are pretty varied. I like the smaller size and battery life. And the best way to get an idea is to listen to it yourself of course. I’m not a bass head and I like a nice big sound stage and a touch of warmth is ok.

The headphonics reviewer had me a bit scared about the treble until he mentioned AP80- which has quite accentuated treble and is a bit unnatural and simplified. Oops skip that he compared the treble to the colorfly which I’ve never heard. Anyways I hope the treble isn’t too soft.

I already have or have owned recently 3 close competetors- Sony zx300, Cayin N5ii , and AK SR15. I like Shanling so I have to try it. I realize the AK is more money but I’m thinking this will have comparable quality but better battery life.

Didn’t like the Cayin’s sound and frankly the sr15 just sounds more natural than the Sony not that the Sony sounds bad it just sounds thinner and a touch more digital.

Looking forward to put it through its paces.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #1,538 of 2,497
I just ordered one. I’m too curious and the sound impressions are pretty varied. I like the smaller size and battery life. And the best way to get an idea is to listen to it yourself of course. I’m not a bass head and I like a nice big sound stage and a touch of warmth is ok.

The headphonics reviewer had me a bit scared about the treble until he mentioned AP80- which has quite accentuated treble and is a bit unnatural and simplified. Oops skip that he compared the treble to the colorfly which I’ve never heard. Anyways I hope the treble isn’t too soft.

I already have or have owned recently 3 close competetors- Sony zx300, Cayin N5ii , and AK SR15. I like Shanling so I have to try it. I realize the AK is more money but I’m thinking this will have comparable quality but better battery life.

Didn’t like the Cayin’s sound and frankly the sr15 just sounds more natural than the Sony not that the Sony sounds bad it just sounds thinner and a touch more digital.

Looking forward to put it through its paces.

I trust your judgement as I think we like a similar sound signature so I would like to hear your impressions once you have it. I agree with your assessment of the Sony sound, as I have demoed a few of their DAP's and it fits the A17 I own. It took me awhile to get use to the M0 sound after listening to the A17 for several years. I do like how the M0 sounds but I wish it had a little warmth to it like the A17. So if the M5S has some warmth that would be a positive for me.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:30 PM Post #1,539 of 2,497
I trust your judgement as I think we like a similar sound signature so I would like to hear your impressions once you have it. I agree with your assessment of the Sony sound, as I have demoed a few of their DAP's and it fits the A17 I own. It took me awhile to get use to the M0 sound after listening to the A17 for several years. I do like how the M0 sounds but I wish it had a little warmth to it like the A17. So if the M5S has some warmth that would be a positive for me.

Will do, yes definitely Sony has their own sound. But I never really noticed till lately that the zx300 and a35 to an extent have kind of a reverb type effect to the sound.

Slight but definitely there and also not un- pleasing to the ear.

Jan 10, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #1,540 of 2,497
The M5s is warm, but its warmth reminds me of resistor ladder DACs. So more relaxed than toasty. At least based on the pairing with my headphones.

Jan 10, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,541 of 2,497
Limited Alpina White Edition.

Hmm, white edition, tricky to do.

It's almost impossible to do white anodized aluminium, powder coating is solution, but that scratches off way easily (my own experience from my Yo-yo days). So you would end up with device with grey frame and white glass, like M1 had. And we don't find it that pretty to make it. Yet.

This is why I will be so disappointed if the M5S does not make it to Canada.

As I said previously, they are coming to Canada. Just as in the past, Canadian distributor takes it kind of slow...

Did he even try the balanced out?

There are comments section, so can go and ask him.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 11, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #1,543 of 2,497
No need to ask him, it was a rhetorical question.
Yep, it was a pretty skimpy review. It seemed rushed to me. There was no mention either of the digital filter choices. Had he played with those he might have come to a different view regarding the treble, soundstage and musicality but we don't even know which one he used.

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:11 AM Post #1,544 of 2,497
The forwarder already picked up the M5s parcel at 13:00. I just finished listening for an hour to the small M0 and it was very pleasing. Now it gets a fresh batterie-load. Maybe tomorrow i can experience M0 VS M5s :spy:

tenor.gif

Jan 11, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #1,545 of 2,497
Hmm, white edition, tricky to do.

It's almost impossible to do white anodized aluminium, powder coating is solution, but that scratches off way easily (my own experience from my Yo-yo days). So you would end up with device with grey frame and white glass, like M1 had. And we don't find it that pretty to make it. Yet.

White epoxy based finishes provide the answer here - something like Duracoat is both tough as nails and can be made to look like polished ivory piano keys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back