Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Aug 23, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #217 of 2,497
I hope there will be different colour options again. But hard to decide between black / gunmetal / brushed aluminium....

Kind of partial to the titanium color of the M0, should be able to do that one on the M5S as well. But it seems higher end DAP's tend to stick to the tried and true black or aluminum. Hard to carry more than a couple of colors on the more expensive models.

Aug 23, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #218 of 2,497
I kind of wish I had known more about the M5S before buying my M0. This looks to be a better fit for me, maybe next year if the funds allow for it. I will definitely be keeping on eye on this thread going forward.

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #219 of 2,497
I kind of wish I had known more about the M5S before buying my M0. This looks to be a better fit for me, maybe next year if the funds allow for it. I will definitely be keeping on eye on this thread going forward.

Better save your money for m7 as next year m5s will will not remain flagship anymore. This is more of an m3s replacement at least design wise. I think real flagship is still an year away. That will provide a more sensible upgrade over your m0.

Aug 23, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #220 of 2,497
To my ears m3s was a really large step up from m0. (Or rather m0 auditioned to me as surprisingly good, yet still a big step downward from my m3s.)

It all depends on one's budget and sense of urgency of course, but from my perspective even if m5s sounds "only" as good as m3s, I think it's a perfectly worthwhile upgrade. But if seeking a true flagship it may indeed make sense to wait.

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:04 AM Post #221 of 2,497
To my ears m3s was a really large step up from m0. (Or rather m0 auditioned to me as surprisingly good, yet still a big step downward from my m3s.)

It all depends on one's budget and sense of urgency of course, but from my perspective even if m5s sounds "only" as good as m3s, I think it's a perfectly worthwhile upgrade. But if seeking a true flagship it may indeed make sense to wait.
or something that streams spotify

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #222 of 2,497
Better save your money for m7 as next year m5s will will not remain flagship anymore. This is more of an m3s replacement at least design wise. I think real flagship is still an year away. That will provide a more sensible upgrade over your m0.
Or maybe a good player with good price (most likely) like this is more than enough, no need to chase down that flagship status.

Aug 23, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #223 of 2,497

Not really looking for flagship, just something that has the sound quality, features and usability I need. M0 has the sound quality and features but falls a little short on usability for me. I spend my big bucks on home gear and stay around $300.00 for portable DAP's. For me not worth spending alot on a battery powered product when I have better quality sound at home already that will last alot longer. Listening to audio when commuting it doesn't provide the best listening environment and thus stick to serious listening at home. I am not above spending a little more if a product blows me away but given what the M7 is likely to cost not really a consideration.

Aug 23, 2018 at 10:43 AM Post #224 of 2,497

M5s is not released yet, so you have not listened to it of course. What is more, you habe absolutely no Information about something like a M7. You dont even know if there will ever be something like that. Your Post is just bla bla!

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #225 of 2,497

I want to know more, can you elaborate.

@maira

I don't think we can call m5s a true flagship. First of all it is not using a flagship class dac chip from ak and that alone is a big enough reason for me. Secondly m5s is borrowing it's design characteristics from m3s instead of using fresh design. I like full screen to body ratio with no bezels.

Now this is not criticism. I like that shanling is compromising on these aspects to achieve a certain price point because i don't want to pay the flagship price either. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back