Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 16, 2019 at 9:09 PM Post #1,637 of 2,497
It's a sudden jump. The volume wheel still works but the output is about 20% of the usual volume.

i help you with the issue becaue i faced the same issue. i was changing to Line Out then i lose the volume (suddenly) lucky it got back again when i restart them. at the moment i dont have gut to plug the Line Out mode again

Wasn't able to replicate this problem, so will report it to software team and have them take a look at it.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 17, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #1,638 of 2,497
Some folks give a DAP 200 hours of play time without listening. Then they try again... .

Wait so you would wait almost 9 days before trying it again? If I only have 14 days to try a product before I can return it I sure as heck won't wait 9 days and hope it sounds better. If I want to gamble like that I'll buy lottery tickets. I don't have $600 to waste on a DAP hoping it will somehow magically sound better after 9 days. Sorry but that logic is just plain silly. This is a portable device not a full size home audio product. Even if you believe in burn-in there is no way it should take a small portable device 9 days to fully cook so to speak. As @Shanling has said they let each DAP burn in 8 hours and feel that is good enough so why would you think another 192 hours would make that much of a difference?

Keeping in mind that the return period typically starts from the day the product ships to you or worse the day you place the order so you really don't even have 14 days to return it. I give it a few days tops of solid listening and then decide to keep it or return it. If I don't like at that point I probably never will. I have saved alot of money over the years following this strategy and I don't have a bunch of DAP's lying around I don't listen to anymore.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #1,639 of 2,497
1. Will ask if they can hide it when empty.
2. Depends if your understanding is the same as our software team (should be 24/88 and above). Some people/companies take 24/44 as Hi-Res, we don't.
3. Wasn't in previous versions, so far missing in our system.
4. Not how my unit acts. While charging, simple push of button will turn on device.

1. It is an annoying bug. Thought I had a card inserted, when there is none. Is this also problem on other players with similar firmware?
2. You are right. Only my 24/96 tracks showed up and not the 24/48 ones. Is this documented in the guide/manual?
3. Is the firmware then using replay gain data? Only the option to select it is missing?
4. Looks like I was doing it wrong, I tried long pressing like on M3s to turn it on. Now I know that is not needed, just a short press. Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #1,640 of 2,497
Both of them are very smooth and musical. Dx150 on stock AMP6 has gentle treble, thicker midrange and bass with increased mass but soft edges.

M5S also has softer treble but it's also generally more laid back across all frequencies. It's less punchy than dx150 but equally if not more refined. Dx150 has wider soundstage and M5S has more depth.

M5S is not fully burned in at about 50-60 hours playtime so this can still changes somewhat. Also this are not my final thoughs and I just started the review procedure :)

Just got my M5S yesterday. It's got about 12 hours of playtime on it and can hear it improving. I'm going to plug it in and let it continually play overnight for a few nights. I sold an AK120 to get this. The AK120 always sounded amazing but I never liked the UI and it doesn't have any of the latest BT enhancements like aptx and LDAC. I always considered the the AK120 to be lacking in the low end but pleasing nonetheless. What I loved about it is the wide sound-stage, the micro detail in the mid and treble and the fantastic layering & clarity of sound. So far from an SQ perspective the M5s doesn't measure up. I had it plugged into the 3.5 aux in, in my car audio system, a phenomenal 500W 17 speaker Lexicon system and it just plain sounded harsh, actually really fatigued my ears ..... but I brought it home and started playing with eq and gain settings and as the hours started mounting, I've started enjoying it more and more. I think I'll need to create a couple of custom EQ presets ( 1 for car, 1 for iems). The 120 is gone so I'm committed to finding the settings that dial it in for my preferences. I love the screen and the UI - that is marvelous! And I'm hoping a few hours and a bit of patience with setting adjustments will make me even more happy with the Shanling as I was with Astell&Kern.

Jan 17, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #1,641 of 2,497
I think the M5s is really designed around the balanced out. At least to my ears, the 3.5mm doesn't sound nearly as good as the 2.5mm with headphones. So, would the LO setting impact the balanced out and is it possible to take advantage of that with the proper adapter or cable? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I literally haven't done any research so I don't know the answer.)

That is one aspect I'd love to see change in future balanced DAP designs; dedicated (or at least improved) SE and LO implementation. Balanced will always sound better, but SE doesn't have to sound so different.

Jan 17, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #1,642 of 2,497
I think the M5s is really designed around the balanced out. At least to my ears, the 3.5mm doesn't sound nearly as good as the 2.5mm with headphones. So, would the LO setting impact the balanced out and is it possible to take advantage of that with the proper adapter or cable? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (I literally haven't done any research so I don't know the answer.)

That is one aspect I'd love to see change in future balanced DAP designs; dedicated (or at least improved) SE and LO implementation. Balanced will always sound better, but SE doesn't have to sound so different.

LO settings also takes effect with Balanced out.

SE and Balanced circuit on M5s are identical, simply balanced uses double of all the parts. Putting in another dedicated SE circuit, trying to match balanced, would only cause player to be bigger and more expensive, with no real advantage for the maximum sound of the player.

Dedicated lineout, that was common on DAPs when everybody was running around with their RSA amps strapped to their iPod. Nowadays amount of such users is very very limited. And when it comes to connecting DAP to your dedicated home rig, why connect to big amplifier, when you can connect DAP directly to dedicated home DAC over USB output? So that leaves people with nice car stereos to be only users really enjoying such feature? Not saying Lineout will not show up on some future Shanling product, but simply we don't think it's priority for many users, while causing devices to be bigger and more expensive for all.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 18, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #1,643 of 2,497
Hi all.
Getting seriously PO'd with these small DAPs running proprietary OS, claiming they support Tidal etc. in offline mode. So far the Hiby R3 and Fiio m6 are utter junk, full of so many bugs they're unusable. Neither output anything more that 44kbps to my Mojo even though they claim to support MQA via their Tidal app. They are Beta products at best and really require months of firmware updates before being anywhere near useful.

1) So, is the M5s running a full copy of Android to enable installation of official steaming apps?? (can't find any OS info online)
2) How's the UI? (Speed, Album art lag, Digital PCM Transport performance etc)

(btw @Shanling , your m0 is a portable masterpiece!! Amazing kit, no lag, great UI and great Bluetooth performance!)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #1,644 of 2,497

and i thought i was the only one to think this way lol. apparently the extra amps on the balanced out worked like magic. Gone is the delicate and the sophiscated details on SE. but sometime i find myself craving something livelier thus the balanced out can play its part

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 11:51 AM Post #1,646 of 2,497
Is it possible that not the player itself is improving with longer playtime but the ears are just adjusting to the new sound? :grin:
Ask yourself this?

As you have been listening to audio equipment for many years, have you now reached a halcyon state whereby you no longer hear harshness in any audio equipment?

This is what you and all the other laughably called 'non-believers' are implying when you say that the brain gets used to harshness and lack of detail and woolly bass. The amazing human brain is able to remember this for each device that you listen to so that when you hear a new one it initially sounds harsh - even if you don't know which one you are listening to.

!

Jan 19, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #1,648 of 2,497
Jan 19, 2019 at 12:57 AM Post #1,649 of 2,497
Updated over Wifi with no issues.

I love this DAP. Of all the players I've owned over the years (and there have been many) this is my fav. The neutral presentation is so important to me - nothing worse than piercing or hot treble and over-empahiszed bass. When listening to this player it becomes apparent that all the treble detail is there, and the bass hits low and hard when called for. The mids are the star though, so rich, such good note weight, with the excellent layering.. It's sounds so good. Shanling got so much right with this DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back