Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #616 of 2,497
You're getting very close to hiby r6, fiio x7ii territory with the price. I think this needs to be priced at 429 or less...

I think we might get a shock here and see 399-419 USD. 499 is way too close to the hiby r6.....

I, for the first time, am quoting my own post just to gloat.

Unfortunately this isn't the price is right, so I don't win anything for getting the price right.... But I will definitely be buying this in November. Now I just have to figure out what I want to sell to get it.

This looks like a definite winner, and probably will set the bar for the next round of DAPs.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #617 of 2,497
I know it's not Tuesday yet, but here are two answers to your questions:

Note:

We will be releasing first run of M5s onto Chinese market earlier, at beginning of October.
This first run, as was case with M0, serves little bit as testing run. So if there are any problems, customers can easily send the units back to us for any repair. It will also allow us to get quick software fix for any newly discovered problems before units reach international distributors.

Of course these units will show up on different selling channels. And if you truly can't wait, you can of course get one, they will be same as later shipped units for international market.

But beware, if there is any problem, be prepared to ship your player back to Chinese seller and wait for it to be repaired. (If you will be lucky enough to even get response from Chinese seller).

Interesting sales tactic, try to convince people they shouldn't order early and make them want it even more, I like it, very reverse psychology of you!! :) So my guess of $399.00 wasn't that far off, half a pat on the back for me.

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #618 of 2,497
This looks like a definite winner, and probably will set the bar for the next round of DAPs.[/QUOTE]
Nice sounds good. What is this advanced bar that will make this shine? Just wondering, to wait or get a ibasso 150 thx

Sep 20, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #619 of 2,497
YES. Glad they came in at $429. That was a low-ball guesstimate. Anyways, now the wait for listening impressions begins.

Sep 20, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #620 of 2,497
First look at new MTouch 2.0 system used in Shanling M5s.

MTouch 2.0 is second evolution of system firstly used in our best selling Shanling M0. Version 2.0 is customized for much bigger screen of Shanling M5s, offering different UI and additional features.

@Shanling That DAP is Gloriously Sexy and Feature rich for the price point. Any idea of when we can expect a general release in The US?

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #621 of 2,497
That DAP is Gloriously Sexy and Feature rich for the price point. Any idea of when we can expect a general release in The US?

I am sure I will be in the minority on this, but they need to think serious about a price point in the $350-$399 range. At $429 there are other options that have already been proven, IMHO. This is a nice unit no question .. but I don't see a feature that commands an over $400 price point.

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #622 of 2,497
I am sure I will be in the minority on this, but they need to think serious about a price point in the $350-$399 range. At $429 there are other options that have already been proven, IMHO. This is a nice unit no question .. but I don't see a feature that commands an over $400 price point.
I guess we're both in the minority here :)
I was also hoping for $350...

Sep 20, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #623 of 2,497
Can you point a noob to some of the $350 units worth looking at??

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #625 of 2,497
I’m assuming the M5s will punch above its weight class in terms of sound quality. I mean, that's why we're here. Otherwise, there are plenty of okay to great sounding DAPs with a variety of feature sets for less than $400.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #626 of 2,497
Opus #1, Cayin N5ii, Shanling M3s. Off the top of my head.
I think they're cheaper because they're either laggy, posses less features, or a step down in sound (presumably)
I'm not trying to compare the bests of the M5S against the worst of the above mentioned like most people do, but rather be fair in why I think the higher price is justified.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:07 PM Post #628 of 2,497
I am sure I will be in the minority on this, but they need to think serious about a price point in the $350-$399 range. At $429 there are other
I’m assuming the M5s will punch above its weight class in terms of sound quality. I mean, that's why we're here. Otherwise, there are plenty of okay to great sounding DAPs with a variety of feature sets for less than $400.
Anything that can enhance listening to music on the go... I'm all in.

Sep 20, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #629 of 2,497
Opus #1, Cayin N5ii, Shanling M3s. Off the top of my head.

You can get a FiiO X7 for less than $300 these days. Lots of features, including basically all streaming services.

I’m assuming the M5s will punch above its weight class in terms of sound quality.

That's the $300 question. Unless you're excited for AirPlay (Apple nastiness, ick!!) or DLNA, you'll need to find its sound quality $300 better than the M0 :)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #630 of 2,497
You can get a FiiO X7 for less than $300 these days. Lots of features, including basically all streaming services.

That's the $300 question. Unless you're excited for AirPlay (Apple nastiness, ick!!) or DLNA, you'll need to find it's sound quality $300 better than the M0 :)

Ahh forgot about the X7, probably the most versatile of the bunch especially with the amp modules. Good point about the M0. Diminishing returns and such- although I like the clean design of M5s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back