Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Oct 20, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,486 of 2,461
Thank you. So... is it fair to say that most people here don't use the native Shanling interface/player for their music?
No idea. I'm pretty sure that most audiophile DAP users have UAPP installed though. It's pretty much the "gold standard" of playback apps for Android.

Whats the advantage of the UAPP, besides streaming music (which I don't think I'd do)? Does it... sound better? Does the equalizer work better? (with the Shanling one, I found that moving up one bar just a little bit made the entire sound at much less volume, and perhaps a duller sound).
UAPP simply has many more features. It interacts directly with the DAC just like the Shanling player (bypassing any Android limitations). It should sound exactly the same. UAPP has both normal EQ and PEQ which IMO is better. The Shanling EQ does reduce volume overall to prevent digital clipping (people have a tendency to only turn things up with EQ).

Can I use my playlist with it?
Yes, UAPP supports playlists.

Is it easy to install? I just downloaded the apk file to my pc. Can I just put in on the memory card and it'll show up as an app? (I've had a couple of different Shanling players, but never one with Android. I've never actually used Android anything before.)
You'll have to side-load the Trial app using the "Files" app. The full app is on the Google Play Store.

Could I set the UAPP in a kind of "Prime Mode" like the Shanling, so it just comes on and dominates the system and system resources in the same way when I turn the player on?
No. It runs as an app only.

Sorry for the questions. Of course, feel free to ignore. :D But thank you! This is very helpful.
No problem.

Oct 20, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #1,488 of 2,461
No idea. I'm pretty sure that most audiophile DAP users have UAPP installed though. It's pretty much the "gold standard" of playback apps for Android.

UAPP simply has many more features. It interacts directly with the DAC just like the Shanling player (bypassing any Android limitations). It should sound exactly the same. UAPP has both normal EQ and PEQ which IMO is better. The Shanling EQ does reduce volume overall to prevent digital clipping (people have a tendency to only turn things up with EQ).

Yes, UAPP supports playlists.

You'll have to side-load the Trial app using the "Files" app. The full app is on the Google Play Store.

No. It runs as an app only.

No problem.

THANK YOU for all of this!!

I may well have to try this app, then. :D Sounds great. Will look into it, thanks...!!!

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #1,490 of 2,461
Noticed after playing YouTube Music, when I switch to Neutron player or other music player, M3X will not play any audio file. I have to kill the YouTube Music app by using the android task manager, then the other music players can play.

Switching between music players other than YouTube Music is fine.

On latest M3X firmware.

Anyone encounter this glitch?

Also, I noticed when using Rocket music player, the sampling rate indicated at M3X status bar max out at 48kHz even when playing 196kHz audio files. When using Neutron player that status bar shows the right sampling rate of the audio files. Is it Rocket music player only manages up to 48kHz when decoding audio files?

Oct 22, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #1,491 of 2,461
One request for Shanling, can you code your music player to scan directories for music file playlists with relative directory referencing to the music files? This works for Rocket music player and neutron music player, but not Shanling music app.

Oct 22, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,492 of 2,461
Noticed after playing YouTube Music, when I switch to Neutron player or other music player, M3X will not play any audio file. I have to kill the YouTube Music app by using the android task manager, then the other music players can play.

Switching between music players other than YouTube Music is fine.

On latest M3X firmware.

Anyone encounter this glitch?

Also, I noticed when using Rocket music player, the sampling rate indicated at M3X status bar max out at 48kHz even when playing 196kHz audio files. When using Neutron player that status bar shows the right sampling rate of the audio files. Is it Rocket music player only manages up to 48kHz when decoding audio files?

This is issue with most streaming apps. We recommend to always kill streaming apps when switching back to local music apps.

Checking site of Rocket Music player, there i no mention about support of Hi-Res playback, so it might be limited?

One request for Shanling, can you code your music player to scan directories for music file playlists with relative directory referencing to the music files? This works for Rocket music player and neutron music player, but not Shanling music app.

I don't think there will be any adjustment to the ways how our app deals with playlists anytime soon.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 22, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #1,493 of 2,461
This is issue with most streaming apps. We recommend to always kill streaming apps when switching back to local music apps.

Checking site of Rocket Music player, there i no mention about support of Hi-Res playback, so it might be limited?

I don't think there will be any adjustment to the ways how our app deals with playlists anytime soon.
Yes, seems the only solution is to kill Youtube Music to avoid conflict. However, I noticed the Shanling music app is able to take over from Youtube music without having to consciously killing Youtube Music. Too bad Shanling app is not versatile enough in reading playlists. Otherwise, it will be great. So now I will kill Youtube Music, when switching to Neutron music player.

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #1,495 of 2,461
Has anybody had any experience with spotify with the M3X? My spotify app never opens up

I just tried it and it's working fine for me. Maybe try deleting the app and reinstalling from the Play Store.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #1,496 of 2,461
Hello all,

So I've been using the M3X for a week or so. I have a few reactions and questions.

- For the first few days, I was using the 3.5mm single ended connection, with both my Etymotic ER4-XR and Blon BL03 phones. I will admit that while some tracks sounded very good to me, on tracks with a prominent snare drum or bongo (or similar), to me the drums were sounding TOO prominent. Too dominant. However, I then starting using a balanced cord/connection with both the Blon and Etymotic, and what a difference. Besides the channel separation, the drums have receded into the background on such tracks and I can now say I think the sound is excellent. I found a couple of other comments here or in reviews making the same observation, that while using the 4.4mm balanced port, the drums recede. So my question is, why would this be so? Not looking for an especially technical answer really, just a confirmation that it's actually happening. I haven't seen it mentioned often here, but as I said I have seen it mentioned a couple of times. To me it's very obvious and a dramatic and welcome change when comparing the balanced to single-ended sound.

- I'm using the native Shanling player. It's connected to wifi. I have tried to use the "Get album art and lyrics" function (you can find it by hitting the 3 dots at the bottom right of the album art screen) for several tracks for which I'm missing the art. Without fail, what happens is that I get a loading screen and the "YES" button at the bottom, but nothing is ever found or downloaded, it just seems to be searching endlessly. I've tried it with popular tracks for which there should definitely be album art available online. So... is there something more I need to do to make this function work correctly and download album art if it's available? @Shanling if you have any suggestions about this (or anything else here) I'd be grateful.

- I've tried to use the equalizer (again using the Shanling player app, in prime mode) to pump up the bass just the little bit by slightly moving up a couple of bands on the low end. What happens, besides the volume drop, is that the treble gets very veiled. With the M2X equalizer this did not happen... moving the bass up a smidge does exactly and only that, and the treble stays nice and clear. However, I can remember that for a while after the M2X was first available the equalizer actually behaved in a similar way, it wrecked the sound. And then an update seemed to fix it. So I'm wondering if there's something I can do, while still using the Shanling app, to use the equalizer to improve the bass without imposing a muffled veil over the treble. (Or am I incorrect on this?)

- I love the sound of the M3X. I also love a warm sound. Both Etymotic and the M3X seem to me to be neutral (with a slight bass boost to the Etymotic). For certain genres (like some hip hop) I want to warm up the sound and pump up the bass a bit. I'm thinking about adding a warm, musical IEM or earbud to the stable that would pair well with the M3X. Would be interested in any recommendations.

Great player!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #1,497 of 2,461
Yes, the Cayin adapter works fine for 2.5 to 4.4 mm. I have two of them. ddHiFi also makes good adapters.

They sure do. Thanks for this tip, I got a ddHiFi one today. Sounds and looks great, very solidly built, and amazing form factor... how it can be flipped around etc. Perfect.

Oct 27, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,498 of 2,461
2. As @rlw6534 mentioned, never connect single ended 3.5mm to balanced output, you are risky damage to both of your devices.
I know you can find many adapters like that online, but they are either made for the old standard of balanced 3.5mm (old Hifiman days) or are simply made in bad faith, with hopes that customers will never complain. You can even find balanced cables made for headphones that can't be connected balanced, that's just a scam and dangerousl.
I just wanted to revisit this one. I was under the impression that there are some adaptors that can safely connect a balanced 2.5 to single ended 3.5 and have proper grounding to accomplish this. Those adaptors cost a bit more; about $20 US, but are advertised as safe for this specific scenario. I have one. It does not get used very much but it is useful from time to time and seems to work.

https://www.amazon.com/DD-Balanced-Headphone-Converter-Amplifier/dp/B08B8LHD69/ref=sr_1_14?crid=GISLV7TPGB72&dchild=1&keywords=2.5+balanced+to+3.5+audio+adapter&qid=1635362120&sprefix=2.5+balanced+to+3.5+audio+adapter,aps,106&sr=8-14&th=1

I mainly use this to connect my 2.5 IEMs to my notebook computer.

On a separate note; why has it been so hard for Shanling to support gapless with its playback app. Yes, I have UAPP but usually I like to use the native app from the vendor when possible.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #1,499 of 2,461
I just wanted to revisit this one. I was under the impression that there are some adaptors that can safely connect a balanced 2.5 to single ended 3.5 and have proper grounding to accomplish this. Those adaptors cost a bit more; about $20 US, but are advertised as safe for this specific scenario. I have one. It does not get used very much but it is useful from time to time and seems to work.

https://www.amazon.com/DD-Balanced-Headphone-Converter-Amplifier/dp/B08B8LHD69/ref=sr_1_14?crid=GISLV7TPGB72&dchild=1&keywords=2.5+balanced+to+3.5+audio+adapter&qid=1635362120&sprefix=2.5+balanced+to+3.5+audio+adapter,aps,106&sr=8-14&th=1

I mainly use this to connect my 2.5 IEMs to my notebook computer.

On a separate note; why has it been so hard for Shanling to support gapless with its playback app. Yes, I have UAPP but usually I like to use the native app from the vendor when possible.

Yes, you can convert a 2.5 mm plug/cable to a 3.5 mm jack with these adapters that tie the grounds (minus) together for both channels (single-ended). But you cannot do the opposite because the 3.5 mm only has 3 conductors and 2.5 mm balanced requires 4. Doing so will short the 2 balanced amps together on the common ground (minus).

2.5mm plug -> 2.5/3.5mm adapter -> 3.5mm jack =====> OK
3.5mm plug -> 3.5/2.5mm adapter -> 2.5mm jack =====> NOT OK

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #1,500 of 2,461
Hello all,

- I'm using the native Shanling player. It's connected to wifi. I have tried to use the "Get album art and lyrics" function (you can find it by hitting the 3 dots at the bottom right of the album art screen) for several tracks for which I'm missing the art. Without fail, what happens is that I get a loading screen and the "YES" button at the bottom, but nothing is ever found or downloaded, it just seems to be searching endlessly. I've tried it with popular tracks for which there should definitely be album art available online. So... is there something more I need to do to make this function work correctly and download album art if it's available? @Shanling if you have any suggestions about this (or anything else here) I'd be grateful.

- I've tried to use the equalizer (again using the Shanling player app, in prime mode) to pump up the bass just the little bit by slightly moving up a couple of bands on the low end. What happens, besides the volume drop, is that the treble gets very veiled. With the M2X equalizer this did not happen... moving the bass up a smidge does exactly and only that, and the treble stays nice and clear. However, I can remember that for a while after the M2X was first available the equalizer actually behaved in a similar way, it wrecked the sound. And then an update seemed to fix it. So I'm wondering if there's something I can do, while still using the Shanling app, to use the equalizer to improve the bass without imposing a muffled veil over the treble. (Or am I incorrect on this?)
- We were using some third-party service, it's possible it's down for now.

- This is simply how EQ in our app works, nothing really to adjust it from your side. Can only recommend to pick some different music player with more advanced EQ system.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back