Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jul 24, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #1,276 of 2,442
M3X completely bypasses android sound so yes, you'll get unedited sound. Great unit for the price, I'm loving mine.
Oh wow, great news! Thanks for letting me know :D

Note that UAPP does support the Tidal and Qobuz streaming services. As for bluetooth, there really isn't any such thing as an unaltered signal (with all bluetooth codecs being lossy).
Well, I'm fine with them being lossy.. I just don't want a bass or soundstage boost or whatever it is they're doing to the sound. Cheers.

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,277 of 2,442
Made an account to ask some question here about my newly brought M3X limited edition. Although I have a thread up in another sub forum, I figure asking here might get better support.

Just brought the limited edition to replace my aging Hiby R5. All the review praise the M3X's battery. However, for some reason, mine drains battery like crazy even on standby (all audio setting at factory level, no headphone plug in with the DAP). I got it charged to 100% this morning. left it on standby for 2 hrs, check it again and it already dropped to 88%. I installed google play store on it so I can download poweramp and nothing else. Then 2 hrs later, now it drops to 72%, not even playing any music, just on standby. I've checked memory usage and it seems the google play service is running 100%, which might contribute to the battery drain problem? I've rebooted couple times and I'd see how that works.

Will a factory reset fix this? Will that also wipe the custom launcher/wallpaper that came with the dap?

I'm very satisfied with the sound. But the battery drain is a huge problem for a brand new DAP that suppose to have better battery longevity than other DAP. In fact, the battery longevity is the reason I brought the M3X to replace my hiby R5.

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #1,278 of 2,442
Made an account to ask some question here about my newly brought M3X limited edition. Although I have a thread up in another sub forum, I figure asking here might get better support.

I'm very satisfied with the sound. But the battery drain is a huge problem for a brand new DAP that suppose to have better battery longevity than other DAP. In fact, the battery longevity is the reason I brought the M3X to replace my hiby R5.
interesting.... when you saybattery drain problem, what app(s) are you running and what kind of drain are you getting. Mine was (I sold mine to upgrade to M6 Pro 21) buring an average of 5% per hour balanced out dual dac

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #1,280 of 2,442
I only have poweramp installed beside all the default app it came with. I deleted the play store app. For audio setting, I'm using low gain, single dac. not even have IEM plug in. Just fresh boot up, and shut the screen.
My M6 did the same thing yesterday. Just randomly while in standby went from 100% to 58% for no aparant reason. I found that I had set it to USB DAC mode. I changed it back to SD, rebooted it and the problem was gone. Give it a try

Jul 24, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #1,282 of 2,442
I only have poweramp installed beside all the default app it came with. I deleted the play store app. For audio setting, I'm using low gain, single dac. not even have IEM plug in. Just fresh boot up, and shut the screen.

I think a factory reset is a good idea. It won't delete the launcher or wallpaper or anything on the the SD Card. This is the current version of Google Play Store that is on my M3x (it has been updating normally):

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/googl...-0-16-21-0-pr-381519797-android-apk-download/

Edit:

Just saw your post above, maybe wait and see what happens with DAC mode off....

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,283 of 2,442
Did anyone get a chance to install the latest version 3.6.0 of Apple Music yet? Just wondering if you're able to login with your Apple ID successfully, and are you able to get bit-perfect output when your M3X is connected to USB DAC.

M3X is still running Android version 7.1 and I hope that Apple Music is able to work without any stability issues. Thanks.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,284 of 2,442
Did anyone get a chance to install the latest version 3.6.0 of Apple Music yet? Just wondering if you're able to login with your Apple ID successfully, and are you able to get bit-perfect output when your M3X is connected to USB DAC.

M3X is still running Android version 7.1 and I hope that Apple Music is able to work without any stability issues. Thanks.

Yes, I have installed Apple Music 3.6.0 and it works as expected. The correct bitrate is being shown in the status bar for lossless and high-resolution so it appears to be bitperfect with the internal DAC. I have not tried with USB DAC.

Jul 24, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #1,285 of 2,442
After setting output mode from USB DAC to micro sd card, then did a full factory reset, the battery still drains a bit abnormal in standby. Dropping from 86% to 77% around an hour(my old hiby R5 only drops less than 5% in 12hrs on standby). I hate to go this path but I think I might need some official support? Maybe I should send it in to a repair shop. I brought it from HiFiGo (To Canada) and have the Chinese version (limited No. is 765/1000, came with bunch of accessories like the acrylic stand, etc.).

Jul 25, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #1,286 of 2,442
Here is my brief comparison between Shanling m3x and Hiby r5:

3.5mm output (single dac): the m3x delivers a brighter sound with upper mids emphasis. Bass has good extension and is very clean, mids tend to sound thin and overall is an unbalanced sound that i don't recommend with bright/treble focus iems like final A4000 or Sonorous 2.

On the other hand, hiby r5 sounds completely different to m3x: It has a warm sound with mid-bass emphasis and treble roll off. It sounds less aggressive than m3x, mids have better resolution and more body. R5 is one step above M3x thanks to a more natural sound, same level of detail in highs without being aggressive and fuller mids.

3.5mm output (using M3X´s dual dac): A big step forward in terms of sound, it loses its aggressiveness in treble and gains a balanced soft sound with excellent mids texture and good layered treble. Bass remains the same as in the single dac mode and M3x now presents a better sound representation than r5 especially in treble.

4.4mm output: This is where both daps shine! I highly recommend using the 4.4mm output to experience the best sonic performances.

Shanling m3x: it gains little warmth and presents a very balanced sound where all frequencies are rounded with softness. Bass has good speed and good sub bass presence. Mids are linear and instrumental separation is better than in r5. The treble still has more presence than in R5.

R5: it loses mid-bass emphasis and gains more realistic bass attacks and natural decay. It still has more bass weight than m3x. Mids remain warm and deliver a particular coloration to voices, it presents a wider and deeper soundstage than m3x and treble improves in almost all aspects compared to the 3.5mm output.

Gear used: Final a4000, sonorous 2, hifi boy osv3, ame j1ux

photo5179648542736755127.jpg

photo5179648542736755126.jpg

Jul 25, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #1,287 of 2,442
After setting output mode from USB DAC to micro sd card, then did a full factory reset, the battery still drains a bit abnormal in standby. Dropping from 86% to 77% around an hour(my old hiby R5 only drops less than 5% in 12hrs on standby). I hate to go this path but I think I might need some official support? Maybe I should send it in to a repair shop. I brought it from HiFiGo (To Canada) and have the Chinese version (limited No. is 765/1000, came with bunch of accessories like the acrylic stand, etc.).

Very odd. Did you reinstall the Play Store or any apps or is this immediately after the factory reset and setup?

Jul 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #1,288 of 2,442
I did install Play store again due to the need to download my poweramp unlocker which I brought. So only poweramp and playstore installed.

Last night I left the dap on standby at 55% battery before heading to bed. Then this morning, 8 hrs later, it drops to 9%. I guess I'd contact their customer support directly and see how it goes.

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,289 of 2,442
I did install Play store again due to the need to download my poweramp unlocker which I brought. So only poweramp and playstore installed.

Last night I left the dap on standby at 55% battery before heading to bed. Then this morning, 8 hrs later, it drops to 9%. I guess I'd contact their customer support directly and see how it goes.

Have you tried it without poweramp installed? Just an idea. My M3x only dropped 1% in last 4 hours (in standby).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back