Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
May 5, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #676 of 2,446
I am not sure. I thought it was a hard reset button, so I used a little paper clip to depress it, and that just pushed it into the unit, and now I have a little pinhole. Seems like a tiny button that went to nowhere (which I am sure is not the case). Either way. the DAP now works.

Ahh that's weird, but I'm glad your problem's fixed.

May 5, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #677 of 2,446
I am not sure. I thought it was a hard reset button, so I used a little paper clip to depress it, and that just pushed it into the unit, and now I have a little pinhole. Seems like a tiny button that went to nowhere (which I am sure is not the case). Either way. the DAP now works.

I only see the charging LED on mine, no pinhole... strange.

May 5, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #678 of 2,446
I love this M3X. It fits nicely in my hand and even though it's all aluminum, it weighs nothing making it supremely pocketable both in jackets and in jeans. Shanling has done a great job implementing those Sabre DAC chips and it sounds great.

Ha ha I'm tempted but then if I don't like it as much as R5s then I've got to sell it and lose money. I take it it has no problems with amazon hd, neutron and hiby music.
And if I do like it then I have to sell hiby r5s which isn't popular even though it's fantastic.

I'm wondering if the m3x would be a bit faster when scrolling, although they both use same main chips and same amount of ram.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #679 of 2,446
If it's directly under the power/volume wheel, I don't think that's a button. I believe that is the little light that shines red while charging, and other colors when connected to Bluetooth headphones or speakers.
I think you are correct, thanks.

May 5, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #680 of 2,446
I'm wondering if the m3x would be a bit faster when scrolling, although they both use same main chips and same amount of ram.
It scrolls lightning fast with UAPP, and the Shanling App also tested with Black Player and it's fast there too. Hiby brings Gapless and "Album Artist" which are absent in the Shanling App but there's quite a bit of lag in scrolling because of the way it loads Album Art.
@Shanling I know your priority for the Music App is "Gapless" but please also add "Album Artist" in addition to "Artist"

May 5, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #681 of 2,446
PLAYLIST HACK FOUND!
I just figured out how to get external playlists into the playlists.
1. Go to playlists and Create a Playlist Name
2. Drop a Relative Path .MPU playlist onto the root of the SD Card
3. Goto Folders and click on the playlist you just dropped onto the card
4. When the playlist opens, click "Select All" then "Add to Playlist" and select the playlist name you created in step one.

Steps 1 and 2 can be done in either order. I just set up 3 new playlists this way in JRiver Media Centre

May 5, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #682 of 2,446
Ha ha I'm tempted but then if I don't like it as much as R5s then I've got to sell it and lose money. I take it it has no problems with amazon hd, neutron and hiby music.
And if I do like it then I have to sell hiby r5s which isn't popular even though it's fantastic.

I have both the R5 (not R5s) and M3X and I would have an extremely difficult time picking one over the other. I bought the M3X because my R5 is starting to show some battery degradation and decided to try something different. I really like my M3X, but the devices are darn similar in features and performance.

May 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #683 of 2,446
I only see the charging LED on mine, no pinhole... strange.
I think it is because I literally pushed tiny piece covering that light into the DAP when trying to reset it (thinking it was a hard reset button).=

May 5, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #684 of 2,446
I have both the R5 (not R5s) and M3X and I would have an extremely difficult time picking one over the other. I bought the M3X because my R5 is starting to show some battery degradation and decided to try something different. I really like my M3X, but the devices are darn similar in features and performance.
I have been mulling owner both the R5 and M3X so following your train of thought is helpful.

Last edited:
May 5, 2021 at 6:07 PM Post #685 of 2,446

I am looking forward to more comments about using Amazon HD on the M3X. I have the R5 and Amazon HD works, but can have small micro stutters during playback of music that was downloaded to the device. I am now over the lack of gapless in the native playback app from Shanling as I have purchased UAPP.

May 5, 2021 at 10:19 PM Post #686 of 2,446
Is there the possibility to connent the M3X to an external dac? I used a Fiio M6 connected with usb cable to an Arcam irDac to strem music from Tidal and it worked. I'm trying to do the same with the M3X. I see that the input of the irDac light on but no sound comes out. I tryed song with different sample rate but there isn't any difference, no sound comes out.
Yes, you can use M3X with external DACs. It should recognize it automatically and switch to USB output mode.

Please what cable are you using?
@ Shanling. Not sure, but I think my 1 month old MX3 just died. I was listening to it, powered it down, went to charge, and nothing. Now I try to turn it on, and nothing. I press and hold various buttons, nothing. Nothing happens at all. Any advice? I pushed a tiny button below the power knob, but that just led to a pin hole in my DAP. Ugh. Thanks. I will reach out to the vendor as well.

Well, that was a scare. After several long press attempts, it finally turned on. Whew. Anyone else experience anything similar to this? Thanks.
First thing to try is to hold power button down for 12 seconds and then repeat that. That is forced shut down and forced start.
Would that pin hole be hard reset by chance?
Just to be sure: There is no pinhole for restart on M3X. Under the wheel is LED diod. If you push on that, you can just break it off.
It scrolls lightning fast with UAPP, and the Shanling App also tested with Black Player and it's fast there too. Hiby brings Gapless and "Album Artist" which are absent in the Shanling App but there's quite a bit of lag in scrolling because of the way it loads Album Art.
@Shanling I know your priority for the Music App is "Gapless" but please also add "Album Artist" in addition to "Artist"
It's kind of funny. Album artist was added to Mtouch players so long time ago, yet still missing form our Android app.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 6, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #687 of 2,446
Hi, used M3X for a week and it works quit good to me. Just tried to use it as USB DAC and it seems cannot bypass and decode tidal MQA streaming files, is it normal? This is my first player and give a try to use it as a DAC. Thanks.

p.s. Connected with Windows 10 and it's necessary to install the driver for connection,

https://en.shanling.com/download/69

Last edited:
May 6, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #688 of 2,446
Yes, you can use M3X with external DACs. It should recognize it automatically and switch to USB output mode.

First thing to try is to hold power button down for 12 seconds and then repeat that. That is forced shut down and forced start.

Just to be sure: There is no pinhole for restart on M3X. Under the wheel is LED diod. If you push on that, you can just break it off.

It's kind of funny. Album artist was added to Mtouch players so long time ago, yet still missing form our Android app.
Funny, or not really?!

May 6, 2021 at 7:10 AM Post #689 of 2,446

I’m using this cable, the same I use with success with a Fiio M6

Attachments

• 0CEC60E5-89D5-45AA-A030-183B4479B3E2.jpeg
    0CEC60E5-89D5-45AA-A030-183B4479B3E2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
May 6, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #690 of 2,446

Thanks, Shanling. It took a few tries of long presses, yet my MX3 rebooted and is fine. However, I did break off the little LED diode. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back