Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Apr 5, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #468 of 2,446
Hi, Shanling, bobgitto, or any experts on using the native Shanling music app on this device. When playing albums (old school guy who does not do playlists), I notice when the next song begins, it kinda fades in. I cannot find any settings in the Shanling app to adjust this. Any suggestions. Thanks.

Apr 5, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #469 of 2,446
So, the M3X is here.

It's quite hefty for its size, but also looks robust enough. It's a far cry from the paper-thin iTouch, that's for sure!

I need explanations for some functions, namely:
- what technical difference does it make between selecting "single" or "dual" in the DAC option? It sounds quite different, but I'm not sure which one I should use.
- what is Lowpass filter mode?
- what does Vehicle Mode do?

Also, I'm having a couple of issues:
- WiFi transfer is quick, but doesn't work too well. I've tried transfering 15 files, only 11 made the transfer. Guess I'll stick to loading folders to the SD from my PC.
- Why aren't track numbers appearing when using the Album sorting? This is quite a bummer for me, I'm used to referring to track numbers all the time and it seems you have to sort through the file browser if you want to see them.
Single and Dual DAC setting - This one affects only 3.5mm output, you can ignore it if you are running from 4.4mm output.
To make it simple, if you enable Dual DAC mode, you get both audio chips working together, offering better sound and slightly more power. But that will little bit affect battery life.

Lowpass filter in essence affects how DAC processes sound. So different filters will have different effect on sound. It's quite complex topic of Hi-Fi world, you can read more about it here for example: https://www.audiostream.com/content...ied-todays-audio-dacs-resonessence-labs-techn
My Advice, try to switch between them and see which one you like more (or if you can even hear difference). Don't try to over think it.

Vehicle mode. When active, upon connecting to USB charger, player will automatically enter simplified car mode. When USB charging is disconnected, player will automatically turn off in 10s. That's it, nothing more.

Wifi transfer, please which app did you use? Shanling Music or Eddict Player?
We have no plans to adjust this for Album browsing.
Maybe my car system isn’t compatible with this then. It works automatically with my iPod Touch as soon as I plug in the USB cable, but with the M3X I tried selecting Line Out first and no results, then Vehicle Mod and nope, still not working. Have to connect through the 3.5mm jack, which requires higher volume and forces me to control the M3X directly through the screen or buttons. Not really ideal.

One other issue I have besides the track number not showing in Album sorting, is that there should be a quick access to the brightness settings. On the iPod setting the brightness is a matter of sliding up from the bottom of the screen and using a slider to set the brightness level you want. On the M3X, it’s embedded in the Settings>Display menu.

It was also very interesting to wake up this morning and find out the M3X was showing China time even if connected to my WiFi, lol. Had to set the timezone manually.
Your car has special system build in for USB connection of iPods, that doesn't work with normal Android devices. YOu need to connect M3X to your car stereo over Bluetooth or through analog connection from 3.5mm output.

You can access brightness setting right in the quick access menu, swipe down from top of the screen.
Hi, Shanling, bobgitto, or any experts on using the native Shanling music app on this device. When playing albums (old school guy who does not do playlists), I notice when the next song begins, it kinda fades in. I cannot find any settings in the Shanling app to adjust this. Any suggestions. Thanks.
This is how Shanling player work, there is no setting to avoid it. Software team is working on adjusting this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 6, 2021 at 1:57 AM Post #470 of 2,446
Hi! for those who have other shanling android players, can we flash the stock firmware from their website in case we experience bootloop? or is there a specific program or applet for windows that can do just that? just in case

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #471 of 2,446
Just wanted to add that i love the sound of this DAP but there is one issue I am having that is driving me nuts. When using the Fiio app as my music player I am getting pauses in my playback of 2-3 seconds every few minutes or so. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the stock Shanling music app. Anyone else having similar issues? Is this a known issue, Shanling? Haven't' tried other music apps to see if it is just the Fiio app, but i will give others a try and get back with everyone.

Single and Dual DAC setting - This one affects only 3.5mm output, you can ignore it if you are running from 4.4mm output.
To make it simple, if you enable Dual DAC mode, you get both audio chips working together, offering better sound and slightly more power. But that will little bit affect battery life.

Lowpass filter in essence affects how DAC processes sound. So different filters will have different effect on sound. It's quite complex topic of Hi-Fi world, you can read more about it here for example: https://www.audiostream.com/content...ied-todays-audio-dacs-resonessence-labs-techn
My Advice, try to switch between them and see which one you like more (or if you can even hear difference). Don't try to over think it.

Vehicle mode. When active, upon connecting to USB charger, player will automatically enter simplified car mode. When USB charging is disconnected, player will automatically turn off in 10s. That's it, nothing more.

Wifi transfer, please which app did you use? Shanling Music or Eddict Player?

Your car has special system build in for USB connection of iPods, that doesn't work with normal Android devices. YOu need to connect M3X to your car stereo over Bluetooth or through analog connection from 3.5mm output.

You can access brightness setting right in the quick access menu, swipe down from top of the screen.

This is how Shanling player work, there is no setting to avoid it. Software team is working on adjusting this.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #472 of 2,446
Just wanted to add that i love the sound of this DAP but there is one issue I am having that is driving me nuts. When using the Fiio app as my music player I am getting pauses in my playback of 2-3 seconds every few minutes or so. This doesn't seem to be an issue with the stock Shanling music app. Anyone else having similar issues? Is this a known issue, Shanling? Haven't' tried other music apps to see if it is just the Fiio app, but i will give others a try and get back with everyone.
I don't know about your use case but mine was because of the Apple Music app. I noticed that every time I open the Apple Music then open another app such as Tidal, the playback on Tidal is stuttering until I terminate the Apple Music app.

Apr 7, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #473 of 2,446

Thank you for your reply. You’ve been very clear, and yeah, brightness setting is a slider, just there at the top. I expected an icon, that’s why I missed it at first and convinced myself it wasn’t there!

It’s a bit disappointing about the track numbers. I have some multi-disc albums with lots of tracks, and track numbers would be useful while browsing. But thanks for clarifying that.

I’ve been pretty happy with the M3X so far. It’ll take a while to get used to the completely different sound compared to the iPod Touch - which is a bit more in-your-face. The M3X is excellent at low volume though, and the sound is very balanced. I’m noticing that using single DAC makes vocals more upfront, but at the expense of other frequencies. I’m still on the fence about which DAC setting I prefer.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #474 of 2,446
Regarding the file management, I would like Shanling to hide system files that are visible on the microSD card. I use macOS, and it adds a lot of invisible files starting with . or ._ The others DAPs are able to hide them. Can you please fix that? Thanks. [UPDATE: The option to ignore files under 500kb doesn't seem to work inside the Shanling app. All the hidden files starting with ._ are 4kb files.]

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #475 of 2,446
I don't know about your use case but mine was because of the Apple Music app. I noticed that every time I open the Apple Music then open another app such as Tidal, the playback on Tidal is stuttering until I terminate the Apple Music app.
This can happen, as multiple audio apps running at the same time can be clashing with the AGLO system. Please keep just one audio app running at given time.
Regarding the file management, I would like Shanling to hide system files that are visible on the microSD card. I use macOS, and it adds a lot of invisible files starting with . or ._ The others DAPs are able to hide them. Can you please fix that? Thanks. [UPDATE: The option to ignore files under 500kb doesn't seem to work inside the Shanling app. All the hidden files starting with ._ are 4kb files.]
To be clear, Shanling Music app, during it scan, finds some random hidden files that MacOS throws on the card?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Apr 8, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #477 of 2,446
Apr 8, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #478 of 2,446
I've listed my M3X if anyone's interested:

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/mint-shanling-m3x-blue-case.2215/

Pics will come later.

Saw your listing, price is to high considering I can order from shenzenaudio for $339 US with free shipping and you get a 2 year warranty. If I buy from you the warranty is no good. Once you open it regardless of length of use it is no longer new. Having worked in audio sales for 15 years I know once you open the package price drops at least 20% unless unit is defective and even more without a warranty since warranty isn't transferable when sold by an individual.

Why not return it to musicteck and get your money back? How long have you had it? I would never import from musicteck, their shipping to Canada is way to high.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #479 of 2,446
Saw your listing, price is to high considering I can order from shenzenaudio for $339 US with free shipping and you get a 2 year warranty. If I buy from you the warranty is no good. Once you open it regardless of length of use it is no longer new. Having worked in audio sales for 15 years I know once you open the package price drops at least 20% unless unit is defective and even more without a warranty since warranty isn't transferable when sold by an individual.

Why not return it to musicteck and get your money back? How long have you had it?

That's a great idea actually. I've had it for a week but I just checked and Musicteck's return window is 30 days so I'll probably just do that.

Apr 8, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #480 of 2,446
That's a great idea actually. I've had it for a week but I just checked and Musicteck's return window is 30 days so I'll probably just do that.

I do know from investigating musicteck that they will probably charge a 20% restocking fee, you will lose the 3% credit card fee on imported products and you will have to pay for return shipping. So you will take a hit but it might be less of a hit than selling it yourself. Of course if you can claim there is an issue with the unit then they should wave the restocking fee.

I guess figure out what you can realistically sell it for yourself and how much you will lose returning it and then decide the best option. Perhaps if musicteck has another model you like and they will let you do an exchange. Then maybe you can get them to wave the restocking fee if they know they will get another sale out of it. I learned alot of negotiating tricks working in audio sales for so many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back