Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #391 of 2,442
So glad I found this thread. A day after I placed my order...

I’m going to use this with my Blessing 2, for which I have a Penon GS849 cable.

First question: Are there any issues I should look to take care of with the my IEM setup and the Shanling?

Second: I’ve never had a balanced cable (thanks apple). Are there any cables (from aliexpress?) that would give me a better idea of how they help without further hollowing out my wallet?

Third: Do the Shanling DAPs work while charging? It may seem a silly question but I had that problem with a DAC/AMP.

Fourth: Is there a manual for the M3X out there somewhere that I cannot find? I have the M3s manual but can’t find one for the current M3.

Lastly: Is it necessary to post a petulantly disdainful comment? If so I hate Microsuft, though I’ve bought them for years... :ksc75smile:

Mar 27, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #392 of 2,442
Did they all use some form of AKM chip?

That is part of the problem along with choosing to go with expensive Samsung SOC's. They can't find the right combination of processors and DAC/Amp chips to meet their price points to be competitive. They posted a statement on this forum detailing their issues. They look to be releasing more higher end models in the M11 Pro (new S model)/M15 and even an M17 variants but are not producing any mid-tier models namely the M6/M7 and M9 variants right now. Once AKM recovers later this year that may change but it seems they have other issues as well.

The M9 would have been at the M3X price point but falls far behind with a stripped down android OS, very under powered compared to the M3X in both processor and RAM. to make a DAP comparable to the M3X it would have to cost a lot more than the M9 was selling for. Makes me glad I sold my M9 and went to the Q1 and I probably won't look at Fiio DAP's again for awhile if at all given the much better bang for the buck options from Shanling in particular.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #393 of 2,442
Create one playlist in the app(just with one song is enough) and export it. That will automatically create the folder on internal storage.
Waited for the weekend to try again. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here. Within the device I created a playlist. Clicked export and get a confirmation saying exported to /storage/emulated/0/shanlingapp/playlist. Simply can’t find the route through internal storage. No such tree is visible. Changed computer settings to show hidden folders but still not visible. It’s gone somewhere as deleted a playlist and clicked import and that list returned. It didn’t take me to a folder showing which playlists available to import. Tried creating multiple playlists. When more than one playlist exists can’t find a way to highlight which playlist I want to export. I’m obviously missing something basic here!

Mar 28, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #394 of 2,442
When @Shanling is going to include Recently Added as a internal playlist. I think the mo has it
Not sure.
Thanks! I need to contact Shanling about it but I'm guessing the single DAC mode uses just one of the dual DAC chips, which the Schiit Magnius also did for its SE, which measures worse than its balanced out. Not sure if it is the case but it does sound like it. Fortunately the M3X is flexible enough to let you get the benefit of high gain and both DAC chips, which doesn't bother me in my casual listening with my unit. Still gonna reach out to them about it, of course.
It's correct, only one DAC from the SE connection.
Oh duh, I forgot about that, my bad. It's been a long week. Balanced is effectively Dual DAC + High Gain, right?

When using 3.5mm, you can switch between using single and dual DAC.
With 4.4mm, both DACs are active at all times. You can still switch between low and high gain.
First question: Are there any issues I should look to take care of with the my IEM setup and the Shanling?

Second: I’ve never had a balanced cable (thanks apple). Are there any cables (from aliexpress?) that would give me a better idea of how they help without further hollowing out my wallet?

Third: Do the Shanling DAPs work while charging? It may seem a silly question but I had that problem with a DAC/AMP.

Fourth: Is there a manual for the M3X out there somewhere that I cannot find? I have the M3s manual but can’t find one for the current M3.
1) I would recommend to play around gain setting, to see which will give you better volume control for your earphones.

2) You can find some really cheap cables, but I would say to check some reviews and pick at least some decent one.

3) Yes, M3X will work just fine when charging. It behaves like any other Android device in this regard.

4) No manual, but you can check this page with some tips for our Android players: https://en.shanling.com/article-AndroidSetup.html
Waited for the weekend to try again. Not sure what I’m doing wrong here. Within the device I created a playlist. Clicked export and get a confirmation saying exported to /storage/emulated/0/shanlingapp/playlist. Simply can’t find the route through internal storage. No such tree is visible. Changed computer settings to show hidden folders but still not visible. It’s gone somewhere as deleted a playlist and clicked import and that list returned. It didn’t take me to a folder showing which playlists available to import. Tried creating multiple playlists. When more than one playlist exists can’t find a way to highlight which playlist I want to export. I’m obviously missing something basic here!

Sending you PM.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 29, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #395 of 2,442
This is a...conflicting question, but I still gotta ask. Does a phone+Shanling UA2 will come close to M3X?

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #397 of 2,442
The M3X is now in stock in the EU via French e-tailer Audiophonics.
Brussels-based Noir et Blanc’s website is down for now but they will probably be stocking it too soon.
Thanks, I ordered one. My old iPod Touch’s battery has been basically dead for more than a year. I wanted a replacement in the same screen size/price tier, which seems no easy find these days. Most DAPs now are either very small and/or have questionable interface, or they cost more than I’m willing to spend for a device that I’d use just for music listening through the 3.5mm jack or my car stereo. Fiio M11 checks all the boxes, but at €599 it costs more than most electronic devices I‘ve bought in the last decade. And if my old iTouch has a 4“ screen, I see no reason why anyone would want anything smaller, except for sports/gym.

The M3X seems just the right device for me. Android is a nice bonus - even if it isn’t the latest version, I use Spotify and Amazon Music quite rarely and I think they will be supported for a while still.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #398 of 2,442
Thanks, I ordered one. My old iPod Touch’s battery has been basically dead for more than a year. I wanted a replacement in the same screen size/price tier, which seems no easy find these days. Most DAPs now are either very small and/or have questionable interface, or they cost more than I’m willing to spend for a device that I’d use just for music listening through the 3.5mm jack or my car stereo. Fiio M11 checks all the boxes, but at €599 it costs more than most electronic devices I‘ve bought in the last decade. And if my old iTouch has a 4“ screen, I see no reason why anyone would want anything smaller, except for sports/gym.

The M3X seems just the right device for me. Android is a nice bonus - even if it isn’t the latest version, I use Spotify and Amazon Music quite rarely and I think they will be supported for a while still.
Replacing the iPod is tough. I had a similar quandary when my wife’s iPod battery started degrading like crazy. It was easier because she needed a dedicated player, but only for BT use. Still, we tried a Nokia phone, and looked at a lot of small DAPs like the Shanling M0 etc., since the latest iPod is an overpriced joke. Ended up waiting until the iPhone SE was released and that was just the ticket.

The Fiio M11 is huge compared to the M3X, reported to sound sterile, its Android is even older than the Shanling’s and as you say, it’s entering phone range prices for more limited use cases, so all in all, sounds like you made a smart move.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #399 of 2,442

In more or less the same boat as you. Still rocking my Ibasso DX90 but longing for a better interface. The prices of higher end chi-fi DAP models are spiraling out of control so the M3X seemed like the best bang for buck for now. Managed to snag myself a used iPod Classic in Japan in 2019 before the world went crazy with this virus but the battery is showing signs of giving up.

Was initially thinking of getting a Fiio M11 Pro I but that's still more than double the price of the M3X. Finally put my name in on a pre order for the M3X from a local DA so hoping to get it ASAP.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #400 of 2,442
My M3x arrives today. I currently use an AKMK70II, and will post some observations. Caveat, I have to use a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter for my balanced IEM connection (JH-13 and JH-16), and I am old fart and not inclined to write up some eloquent exhaustive review.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #401 of 2,442
My M3x arrives today. I currently use an AKMK70II, and will post some observations. Caveat, I have to use a 2.5mm to 4.4mm adapter for my balanced IEM connection (JH-13 and JH-16), and I am old fart and not inclined to write up some eloquent exhaustive review.
Looking forward to reading your impressions. I'm still on the fence with this one. I don't know what you think the threshold for becoming an old fart is, but my dad was 60 when I was born, 63 when my sister came along and my oldest brother is 20 years up on me. Anyway, we don't need eloquent, just raw gut impressions.

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #402 of 2,442
Thanks, holson. I just got it a few minutes ago, and am setting it up now. I will have some time this afternoon to check out after work, and will post some of those raw gut impressions. I am 59 in a week, so I guess it is all relative. I cannot believe this player can match your Lotoo Paw 6000, yet hope it is an improvement over my current DAP.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #403 of 2,442
Whoa, this is a significant difference from my old AK70mkii. Much more detail, speed, punch and even head space. It is more immediate, and yet I also feel it around my head, hear more stuff, and have a much better UI and responsive unit. I am listening to the same album I listened to this am, Jane's Addiction, Nothing Shocking, FLAC 24/96. The sonic difference to my AK was immediate. I have not upgraded my audio stuff of any kind in quite a while, so this is fun to do for a change (I kicked the constant upgrade thingie a while back). Will post any other updates over time as DAP burns in, and I get familiar with interface and options. I am currently using 10 year old JH-13s with a balanced adapter and an aftermarket IEM cable.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:27 PM Post #404 of 2,442
By the way, which SD card has good transfer speed without breaking the bank? I always cheaped out on SD cards, but for the M3X I‘m gonna get a 128GB one at the very least, and at the usual 25MB/s speed of cheaper cards, it’s gonna take a looooong time to fill it up!

Mar 30, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #405 of 2,442
Oh my. Um, just, oh my. I’m not one for writing reviews, but I had to write a reaction. BTW: Shanling M3x, Moondrop Blessing 2 iem, Penon GS849 3.5mm cable.

So obviously my M3x arrived today. Unfortunately we’re having work done on our house, and as the power was iffy my NAS is shut down. Fortunately Apple Music works with this version of Android. I’m listening to a playlist called “Classic Acoustic” and three songs in I’m flabbergasted. It’s music I’ve listened to my whole life and I’m hearing things I’ve never heard in songs I’ve listened to beyond thousands of times. Wide soundstage, crisp sound, easy to differentiate each instrument. There’s a bass drum I didn’t know was there in Carol King’s “It’s Too Late.” Banging on the top of my spinal column.

I’ve owned iPhones back to the very first, same with the iPod, all 5gb of it. I stayed in the Apple system because I don’t like one use devices (says the guy with the canon dslr). I was a fool. Using my AirPod Pros will be a disappointment from now on. (Be fair, I’ve been Apple since the SE. Stuff piles up.)

So, for those of us in the Apple ecosystem, it’s ok to look over the wall and see what the crazy long haired freaky people are up to. Apple Music works effectively the same on Android as on iOS. My playlists are all there, the functions of “Listen Now” are there.

And now Paul Simon is singing about sound and silence while playing his guitar over by my right earlobe.

I hope this makes sense...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back