Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #287 of 2,219
Nice shot, Caleb. Not having kids to feed is highly beneficial in quickly posting glamour shots :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#dinnertimeforpapa

Here's to save you the effort of appeasing Alex. :wink:

M3 & M2.jpg

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #288 of 2,219
Sep 30, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #291 of 2,219
Great question. The other DAPs I've tried with two-way Bluetooth only supported aptX in transmission mode. When the DAP was in receiver mode, aptX wasn't supported. It'd be great if M3s did support aptX both ways. @Shanling?

It was hinted at, but even if it doesn't end up in the initial releasei won't be disappointed. I honestly have no use case for that as I don't have any portable amps with 2.5mm Balanced Output and they're not common at all. If I'm at home and want to use the DAP as a transport, I'll be using USB out anyways. Guess I just don't see how this is relevant except for a very small minority of users. Maybe someone can provide a compelling reason?

@nmatheis, remember this (old) post? @Shanling ignored us completely! Could you help me with my questions please? :)

- Does the M3s implement aptX BT reception?
- Is balanced line out supported?

Thank you and enjoy your M3s!

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #292 of 2,219
@nmatheis, remember this (old) post? @Shanling ignored us completely! Could you help me with my questions please? :)

- Does the M3s implement aptX BT reception?
- Is balanced line out supported?

Thank you and enjoy your M3s!

Pretty sure aptx is only implemented for transmission to headphones, but I could be wrong. @Shanling will have to provide the final answer for that.

Balanced out isn't implemented at this time - just single-ended line out.

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #297 of 2,219
The picture showing the side with the SD card slot made me think, why not two card slots? Plenty of external room, I have no idea what space there is inside but two card slots would have helped this player to fly off the shelves. :)

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #298 of 2,219
Some early thoughts...

On the warm side, like the M2s, though a clear step up in quality. I'm listening in balanced right now, and it's a remarkably coherent, refined sound for this price. Bigger soundstage, greater depth. Right out of the box, it's a lively, dynamic DAP.

Now for a little negative...

Once again Shanling has case troubles. For the M2s, I couldn't really use the volume wheel when the case was on. With the M3s, I can't use the Balanced output. The Cutout is not wide enough for, I suspect, any cable. The 3.5mm single-ended output looks wider, but I can imagine some plugs won't like it.

So once again, no case for this DAP. Pinky will run the M3s in the nude. :D

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #300 of 2,219
Some early thoughts...

On the warm side, like the M2s, though a clear step up in quality. I'm listening in balanced right now, and it's a remarkably coherent, refined sound for this price. Bigger soundstage, greater depth. Right out of the box, it's a lively, dynamic DAP.

Now for a little negative...

Once again Shanling has case troubles. For the M2s, I couldn't really use the volume wheel when the case was on. With the M3s, I can't use the Balanced output. The Cutout is not wide enough for, I suspect, any cable. The 3.5mm single-ended output looks wider, but I can imagine some plugs won't like it.

So once again, no case for this DAP. Pinky will run the M3s in the nude. :D

Mind putting some review in single ended output? Would really appreciate that. Thanks. Is it a huge upgrade from M2s? I'm about to buy M2s and suddenly saw this. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back