Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #316 of 2,219
Available in France for 279€

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #318 of 2,219
Nice price, do they sell case as well?
I just checked, they don't (audiophonics.fr), but if it's the same type as for the M2S, you are not missing much !

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #323 of 2,219
Very often, I prefer to see my DAPs naked!

Although I have extra care of all my devvices, if I were less careful, I'd probably want cases (?)
I would rather use a sock instead of that hideous case. Hard shell with fake leather ? What ?

Oct 3, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #324 of 2,219
I would rather use a sock instead of that hideous case. Hard shell with fake leather ? What ?

I have not seen how the case looks like, I just... I have better grip on metal than on leather.

Or rather, I prefer the feeling of metal plastic and glass better than leather. Might be due to Romania's weather and my own hands being more sensitive / gentle since I draw a bit, but I am using every sinngle DAP I have, and my smartphone with no cases on, just feels better. Shanling M2s has its stickers on right now, but still, no case for me :darthsmile:

Oct 3, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #325 of 2,219
Oct 3, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #326 of 2,219
So far I've used:
tia Fourté
VE Zen 2.0
NightOwl

All were epic pairings for the M3s. This DAP sounds sweet. It has an Astell&Kern smoothness.

M3 01.jpg

Oct 3, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #327 of 2,219
So far I've used:
tia Fourté
VE Zen 2.0
NightOwl

All were epic pairings for the M3s. This DAP sounds sweet. It has an Astell&Kern smoothness.

Looking good, i like how nice Shanling music players are made. Tia Fourte being one of the best IEM, how does it sound with M3s?
Did you tried the USB DAC also? Thanks.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:00 AM Post #329 of 2,219
I think I'm hearing this a bit differently than @PinkyPowers. I've listened with several pairs of mid and upper tier earbuds with low to moderate impedance and am finding M3s to be a wee bit on the brighter side, so I'd recommend pairing with warmer ear/headphones for best synergy. Of course, that's just my two cents and based on my personal preferences.

Using the same earbuds in balanced vs non-balanced versions, 2.5mm output has better dynamics and larger soundstage vs 3.5mm output.

USB DAC functionality works great with my MacBook Pro. Can't speak for you Windows users out there, though.

Battery life has been great. I've been listening a lot on one charge. Nice to see this!

GUI is very good for non-functional touchscreen DAP. This is something Shanling has done very well in partnership with Hiby.

Hiby-Link is really cool!

EQ works with both LO and USB Out.

The case does interfere a bit with the control knob, limiting movement. It could also use a bit more grip inside, as I find I need to hold the top of the M3s securely when inserting plugs into the bottom to prevent the M3s from shipping partially out of the case.

Compared to M2s, M3s is less of a "fun" type sound and more of a "serious" type sound with increased resolution. Compared to N3, M3s is less of a full, warm sound. They're all different and any of them could satisfy someone given differences in personal preference.

Comparing to M1 isn't a fair fight. M1 sounds good for an ultra portable DAP but is lacking refinement. Any of the three DAPs mentioned in the paragraph above will be a better choice if you're not overly concerned with size / weight.

Hope that's helpful. Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind!

Oct 4, 2017 at 2:25 AM Post #330 of 2,219
I think I'm hearing this a bit differently than @PinkyPowers.
Compared to M2s, M3s is less of a "fun" type sound and more of a "serious" type sound with increased resolution. Compared to N3, M3s is less of a full, warm sound. They're all different and any of them could satisfy someone given differences in personal preference.

Comparing to M1 isn't a fair fight. M1 sounds good for an ultra portable DAP but is lacking refinement. Any of the three DAPs mentioned in the paragraph above will be a better choice if you're not overly concerned with size / weight.

Hope that's helpful. Feel free to ask any questions that come to mind!

Thanks for description. I know that SQ would be higher, but does M3s has much different sound signature than M1?
For me personally M1 sounds better than M2s and N3 because of amazing bass control, nice mids with not hidden vocals (amazing rig with RHA MA750, perfect synergy), M2s emphasizes more bass quantity and has slightly more trebles.
However, I am really encouraged to buy M3s but I'll wait for some price drop :D

I am also looking for some DAC/AMP for DT990 Edition. Will the M3s have enough power for that (250 omhs)?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back