Shanling M3s - dual AK4490 DAC, 2.5 balanced out, aptX BT, HiBy link, USB out, FW 1.7
Sep 30, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #301 of 2,219
Mind putting some review in single ended output? Would really appreciate that. Thanks. Is it a huge upgrade from M2s? I'm about to buy M2s and suddenly saw this. Thanks

My review will deal with both, for sure. This is just first night impressions. Be patient. :wink:

Sep 30, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #302 of 2,219
Not sure what's going on with yours @PinkyPowers, but I'm using a standard-sized 2.5mm plug with the case on without any problems at all. My nitpick with the case is that as opposed to the M2s case where I had absolutely no problem with volume adjustment, I'm finding it a bit more difficult with the M3s case. So it seems we've got opposite problems...

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #304 of 2,219
Yeah, I'm also curious about sq compared to the Aune M1s but also the Opus #1. If it's a significant upgrade to those I'll get one but I really don't think I'll shell out the money just for some extra features......

Sep 30, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #305 of 2,219
I guess it's a good thing that all the dap complaints, so far, are about the case only :wink:

From Nik's pictures, looks like balanced ho is at the corner of the case opening, so perhaps enough room? If not, you can probably file it to open a little more. But typically, even bulky 2.5mm plug, like my favorite from Furutech, have a little step at the base to accomodate cases. I guess will take a closer look how it fits next week. I think this is probably a minor annoyance. But with a wheel, i see a similar issue as with dx200 stock case. The back of the case is wider, covering it up for protection and accidental bumps in your pocket, but at the same time only enabling thumb operation by rolling the wheel on the front. Maybe something to get used to.

I see hw buttons are covered, so it won't be an issue accessing it even with fat fingers :), as in opposite of M2s case.

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #306 of 2,219
Just want to know how does it sound compared to aune m1s using balanced output even a brief comparison only.

If the sound is an upgrade or sidegrade from m1s.

Thanks.

I know, buddy. I like to listen for awhile without providing impressions. Stay tuned...

Yeah, I'm also curious about sq compared to the Aune M1s but also the Opus #1. If it's a significant upgrade to those I'll get one but I really don't think I'll shell out the money just for some extra features......

I'm sure between Alex, Caleb, and me you'll get plenty of comparisons :wink:

I guess it's a good thing that all the dap complaints, so far, are about the case only :wink:

From Nik's pictures, looks like balanced ho is at the corner of the case opening, so perhaps enough room? If not, you can probably file it to open a little more. But typically, even bulky 2.5mm plug, like my favorite from Furutech, have a little step at the base to accomodate cases. I guess will take a closer look how it fits next week. I think this is probably a minor annoyance. But with a wheel, i see a similar issue as with dx200 stock case. The back of the case is wider, covering it up for protection and accidental bumps in your pocket, but at the same time only enabling thumb operation by rolling the wheel on the front. Maybe something to get used to.

I see hw buttons are covered, so it won't be an issue accessing it even with fat fingers :), as in opposite of M2s case.

Yes, balanced is on bottom right corner, Alex. Again, no issue at all with the one and only 2.5mm cable I've tried so far.

One other nitpick. It's only aesthetics, and it's minor. The ports on the bottom don't all line up. USB-C and 3.5mm are offset towards the top face whereas the2.5mm is centered. It's minor but if you've got a bit of OCD regarding alignment / symmetry avoid looking at that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Sep 30, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #307 of 2,219
Let's just say I'll be able to give one an extended listen very soon...
:wink:
I saw your post on FB, bro. Impressions, impressions! :D

Btw, it looks great - I'm sold on the design.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #310 of 2,219
Empire Ears Spartan sounds great out of the single-ended output.

I reserve the right to change my mind the more I listen, but right now I feel this is a worthy upgrade to the M2s. Especially in balanced, but even in single-ended.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #312 of 2,219
Just wanted to provide a brief update on EQ functionality. Not only does it work via HO, it also works via LO and USB Out as tested with my trusty, old Shanling H3 DAC/Amp. So if it's EQ your craving, M3s has you covered!
Although I've never been a fan of using EQs on my DAPs, this is a good thing to know.

What are your preliminary observations on its sound, bro? Is it comparable to the M2S? :)

Oct 1, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #313 of 2,219
Although I've never been a fan of using EQs on my DAPs, this is a good thing to know.

What are your preliminary observations on its sound, bro? Is it comparable to the M2S? :)

Yup, I avoid EQ on my DAPs and simply enjoy my ear/headphones as is.

Regarding M3s sound, I'm still getting acquainted with it having only received it on Friday. So far I've used several low to medium impedance earbuds from Indonesian DIY makers. They're at the mid-fi level for earbuds. I still need to try some full size headphones (most likely Nighthawk & Nightowl) and IEM.

But after a couple days with the M3s, I'm hearing it as a more detail-oriented sound signature. Like the original M3, a bit on the brighter side for a Shanling DAP. However at I said above, this is only with some of my mid-fi earbuds. Perhaps my thoughts will change once I pair M3s with other ear/headphones, so stay tuned...

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #314 of 2,219
Yup, I avoid EQ on my DAPs and simply enjoy my ear/headphones as is.

Regarding M3s sound, I'm still getting acquainted with it having only received it on Friday. So far I've used several low to medium impedance earbuds from Indonesian DIY makers. They're at the mid-fi level for earbuds. I still need to try some full size headphones (most likely Nighthawk & Nightowl) and IEM.

But after a couple days with the M3s, I'm hearing it as a more detail-oriented sound signature. Like the original M3, a bit on the brighter side for a Shanling DAP. However at I said above, this is only with some of my mid-fi earbuds. Perhaps my thoughts will change once I pair M3s with other ear/headphones, so stay tuned...

I too think I'm hearing it not as warm and bassy as M2s. Still a good ways off from being "bright", but certainly closer to neutral, though still leaning slightly warm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back